Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"And for that I admit I was partially wrong (but not totally)."

Does digital logic work that way?:)
I learned many decades ago that any Boolean digital logic function could be built with NAND gates.

But nobody could build a self-driving car.

The Tesla FSD computer is built with MAYBE gates.
Two MAYBE gates create a MAYBE_NOT gate.
Three create a a Flip-Flop.

Last edited:
So been anxiously awaiting the much heralded 12.3 and installed (2023.44.30.25) 2 days ago. Minimal experience and all residential city at this point. But first thing I noticed on the 35 mph residential street was although I had max speed manually set to 38, the car would not go faster than about 29 or 30. 2 lanes, no real traffic around me or oncoming. I could accelerate of course but each time I came off, the car slowed to 35 or less - dialing the max speed up had no effect. Discovered the new setting "automatic set speed offset" which seems like the infobutton kind of translates to "this is what speed FSD wants to drive at." When I did this, the max speed was actually even slower - to the point where I would never enable FSD on city streets if I was stuck with this. Reminded me of the silly "saftey score" where you had to drive like a grandma or get "dinged." Following day turned this off - but still stuck at or below speed limit. Sorry, but this is not how humans drive on these roads. Not being able to override what the car is doing for max speed personally I think sux and will kill my experience. I hope this "feature" is short lived. Am I missing something in terms of settings/controls? Anyone else have the same experience? I really haven't noticed anything appreciable in "smoothness" -- and still stops well in front of cross lines for instance, same as always. Granted my experience to date with 12.3 is limited, but so far not feelin' it ...
Yeah, you’re missing the last week where this behavior was discussed, where a release came out to fix the issue, and those with the fix are happier :).

12.3.1 addresses most of the speed problem, and 12.3.2 allegedly does even better.

Yeah, you’re missing the last week where this behavior was discussed, where a release came out to fix the issue, and those with the fix are happier :).

12.3.1 addresses most of the speed problem, and 12.3.2 allegedly does even better.
My brother in law just took delivery of a M3 a couple of days ago.
Says he has 2024.3.5 pending. The best part, he can't figure out how to make it update from the car or app. His first Tesla...
He keeps calling 📞.. and texting for help.
I am gonna make him suffer.

Just throwing in here that I'm having similar issues with FSD v12.3 (2023.44.30.25)
  • Ignores manually set max speed
  • Seems to always be going under the speed limit unless I manually accelerate higher
  • Unnecessary and sometimes bad lane changes
  • Today during an unprotected turn across 3 lanes of traffic, it "creeped" FAR beyond the normal creep line and put me square in the middle of the traffic lanes. I had to disengage and I'm lucky it wasn't a much more harrowing experience.
  • Still some jerky steering movement during turns, but this is much improved
With all that said, there's been some moments where I've been genuinely impressed. Well-planned movements across odd intersections, etc. Acceleration from stops is much better now.

Overall I'm disappointed to say this feels more like a side-grade from v11, and even a downgrade on some trips. Here's hoping the new updates are meaningful and rolled out soon.

My brother in law just took delivery of a M3 a couple of days ago.
Says he has 2024.3.5 pending. The best part, he can't figure out how to make it update from the car or app. His first Tesla...
He keeps calling 📞.. and texting for help.
I am gonna make him suffer.
Sorry if you're having a bad day :cool:

So far this evening you've accused someone of plagiarism, got annoyed by my engineering humor (sorry about that), raked a new member over the coals (apparently withdrawn), and now you want to punish your brother-in-law.

This is not your normal cheerful self. I know you've mentioned a few issues with your wife, but if you're not getting any is it really his fault? ;)

In any event, since you suggested I get off the drugs (which I never use), I won't give any such advice in return, except to refer your case to @sleepydoc for a calming prescription.

JK

Anyone seen bladerskb since v12 came out? Detroit based employee likely for Ford or GM autonomous driving who’s been here for years. Haven’t heard him spout his nonsense since v12 came out.

Probably got laid off.
Or he finally got tired of being the only one who is right all the time...

Seriously though, I did a search and as of Friday he was in a long back and forth with Knightshade, so I think he hasn't left us. Blader and Spaceman may be seeing their supply lines shrink a little after v12 release, but it's going to be a good while before they run out of ammo.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Anyone seen bladerskb since v12 came out? Detroit based employee likely for Ford or GM autonomous driving who’s been here for years. Haven’t heard him spout his nonsense since v12 came out.

Probably got laid off.
Not going to convince any doubters until it gets to one disengagement per 10,000 miles or so.
My feeling is that this is actually a ChatGPT moment. At first glance very impressive but upon closer inspection likely to be a dead end.

Did my first 'wife test' today. I thought the car did pretty well. After so many scares from 11.4.9 I feel a lot more comfortable with V12.3. On the other hand, I don't anticipate it's new problems yet, so maybe I'm too relaxed with it. It failed the wife test, because it was 'too slow'. Basically she didn't like the uncomfortable delays when the car was in 'creep mode'. However, I'm fine with it as it seems pretty safe there, and I'm also fine with giving it a bit of throttle to force it to go a lot sooner than otherwise.

I'm still trying to figure out the speed limit thing, and I've found that I can't always use the right scroll wheel to adjust speeds. (Probably works on freeway-like roads if it's running the 11.x stack there.) But I've found that if the car is sitting at say 50 in a 45 on 'Auto MAX', I can simply use the accelerator pedal to speed up, and the car will then hold that speed until the next speed limit change. So basically, I've got a way to override the slow speeds when I want to, and I'm happy there.

The biggest issue I keep running into is just behavior regarding lane changes and lane keeping. It seems to do pretty non-human behavior that seems inexplicable. For instance, coming to a stop light in the right lane of two with no car in front the car will flick on the left turn signal and change lanes to get behind another vehicle. And this with a right turn coming up a block away! Now that's just not human-like. And I've experienced the car drifting near the lane lines and over them too. That never happened with 11.4.9.

But overall, I'm comfortable with it driving me for the first time. The disengagements are pretty rare for me, so far. I'm certainly looking forward to the next version, or whatever version gives me reverse capability and will properly park me at a Supercharger, first time, every time.

Sorry if you're having a bad day :cool:

So far this evening you've accused someone of plagiarism, got annoyed by my engineering humor (sorry about that), raked a new member over the coals (apparently withdrawn), and now you want to punish your brother-in-law.

This is not your normal cheerful self. I know you've mentioned a few issues with your wife, but if you're not getting any is it really his fault? ;)

In any event, since you suggested I get off the drugs (which I never use), I won't give any such advice in return, except to refer your case to @sleepydoc for a calming prescription.

JK
I am a CPA and it's still tax season...No sleep for 2 months every year.

Edit: For you engineers, CPA stands for Certified Public Accountant.

Last edited:
I forgot to one other behavior change with V12.3.1 (possibly V12.3 as well, I don't remember) is lane selection east bound on Evelyn Ave here. V11 always would dive to the left lane when Evelyn switches from one lane to two lanes. Today it nicely stayed in the right lane (which I think is the correct thing to do).

With regard turns, specifically right ones, being tight, I concur it slightly tighter than I would take them but they were ok. I didn't have enough data points with V12.3 to see if 12.3.1 was different.

1711517675539.png

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
I am a CPA and it's still tax season...No sleep for 2 months every year.

Edit: For you engineers, CPA stands for Certified Public Accountant.
OT: my grandfather was a CPA in New York City from 1921 until he finally gave up his last clients around 1987. (My grandmother told me he came in number one in the city on the 1921 accountants exam - and I'm pretty sure it was a harder test in 1921 than in 2021!)

For many years he did the accounting work for Topps Chewing Gum Company, and the owners told him his grandkids could have all the baseball and other sports and variety cards they wanted. I could have had free complete sets throughout the 60s and 70s, but I was taught not to be too greedy so I rarely took him up on those offers - very stupid of me. Once when we were visiting, he took me with him to the bank where he went to his safety deposit box to clip coupons from stacks of bonds he kept in there. For reasons I cannot explain, there were several pieces of penny Bazooka bubble gum in there with the beautifully printed bonds.

Probably got laid off.
Dude, why are you tempting fate like that?!? Go outside, turn around 3 times and spit.