Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An end-to-end architecture doesn't mean it's only trained on examples from real drivers. Near accidents and the final moments before actual crashes are great examples of things that are nearly impossible to collect real training data for:

- Humans don't respond very quickly so they probably don't actually perform well in near accident situations requiring fast action
- Humans can't see 360 deg and evaluate all evasive maneuvers
- There's a limit volume of these events

My guess is that Tesla either supplements with synthetic training data or those actions are still handled by explicit C++ code instead of neural nets. Auto emergency braking is still active when FSD v12 is driving.
AND, considering humans reaction time peaks at 19years old, safe to say at least 50% of Tesla owners are in the bottom half of the ninth and could use all the help they could get.

FSD V11&12 can be categorized as

SAE Level 3

But is advertised as SAE Level 2 for liability purposes.

You’re welcome.

I hope 12.3.2.1 goes wide to everyone with normal waves over next few days.
FSD can be categorized as S3XY69, crazy, 420, improving, sensational, J, wild, etc. BUT it can NOT be categorized as SAE Level 3 since it is in fact an SEA Level 2 standard. In order to be SAE L3 it must meet the standard and be approved in a legal jurisdiction.

SAE is a standards body and sets them. They are not subjective. For instance your tire has a speed rating standard that is set by the SAE. You can't just say your V rated tire can be a W rated tire.

Room full of insane bullies running their kitty party...no room for the sane man here :D
Not sure how people pointing out the importance of an organization makes them insane while you belittling the SAE makes you sane.

Especially since the SAE sets the worldwide standards on the entire auto industry, aerospace, shipping, commercial trucks, ships, drones, etc.

Last edited:
Thank you, I can’t believe there’s no option to move this and high fidelity park assist to the main display, where it can manipulated in a useful way.
In the S and X you can pull up a keyboard and type an XYZ coordinate to set the camera position for high fidelity park assist. I use it all the time and just ignore the honking behind me.

The SC dosn't have any power to select or force an update. They just install update(s) that the motherships sends.
Ahhh, that is my misunderstanding. I thought the SC could force an update that the car can handle before it had been offered to the vehicle due to roll-out management. Obviously, I wouldn't get HW4 only updates or those not meant for Canada, but I also thought the SC moved all cars onto the latest software available for that vehicle not the latest software offered to the car.

Edited to add:

When we bought the car in 2020, while waiting for delivery we were told to read the whole manual. I remember reading that when the car was brought in for a scheduled service appointment, as soon as it was within range of the wifi, the vehicle would 'phone home' so to speak, and they would check the software and update the car to the latest version while the car is waiting to be brought into the shop. This stood out to me because we don't have wifi at our car's parking spot so it would be convenient for us.

Once owning the car, our routine is to take it back to our SC to update because the wifi is good and strong and if there's a problem, we are right there to get help. BUT there is no auto-update, any updates are triggered by us and we are using the guest wifi. As we expected because the car has never been scheduled for service when there was a pending download.

I've just been all through the "what to expect at a service appointment" section and see nothing about updates. Which makes sense. When they had only sold a low number of vehicles, updating when the car arrived at service was a nice service to offer. But now, with so many cars being serviced, it would not surprise me that downloading and installing software before actually servicing a car would take far too long. For instance, I'm reckoning it will be 2 hours of download/install before my car is up to date. My service call is for suspension work but even so, the car would likely be unable to be moved or opened up for at least a portion of that time.

We'll see what happens when we take the car in. That's why it is an experiment. If I don't receive any of the updates it needs, that will at least put to rest my misconception that taking the car for service will force updates I'm avoiding. Which is a very useful piece of information.

Last edited:
Consolidating replies to a bunch of overthinking and a few flat out wrong claims-

There is nothing about FSD beta that suggests it’s L3.

Correct!

The operational design domain is basically unlimited and the system never makes a request to intervene with enough time for the user to safely regain situational awareness.

Also correct-- but still DOES tell the human to fully take back over all aspects of the DDT-- meaning, by definition and function, it's L2. L5 not only can not ever require a human do that, it can't even require a human be in the vehicle. Making your NEXT statement factually false:

The system is L5

Again- L5 systems do not request immediate human takeover of the full DDT. Ever. They don't, and can not by design ever require a human to even be present. So no, it's not. The highest level that even ever require a human to be present is L3-- which you've already pointed out the system also does not qualify as. Thus it meets no SAE standard higher than L2.

(and just to head off THIS tangent-- an L4 or L5 system doesn't stop being one if a human happens to BE present- but it can't require that presence or ever require any action from the human. Teslas system requires both.)

FSD V11&12 can be categorized as

SAE Level 3

Again no, they factually can not. See Daniel pointing out this fact and one of the specific functions the system lacks but is required for L3.

But is advertised as SAE Level 2 for liability purposes.

This. Is. Not. A Thing.

Nothing in the SAE standard says anything at all about "liability purposes"

The system does not meet the standard for L3 capability or functionality. It does meet the standard for L2. Therefore it's L2.

Everything else is mental masturbation.

It’s Level 2 because Tesla can’t accept liability for what the system does, because the resulting accidents and lawsuits would be huge lol — even one bad accident is a huge deal, as evidenced with Cruise.

Again- no. Nothing in the SAE standard speaks to liability in lawsuits.

It's L2 because that's the highest standard it actually, functionally, and per the doc you just posted by design intent actually meets.

FSD can be categorized as S3XY69, crazy, 420, improving, sensational, J, wild, etc. BUT it can NOT be categorized as SAE Level 3 since it is in fact an SEA Level 2 standard. In order to be SAE L3 it must meet the standard and be approved in a legal jurisdiction.

Also Not. A. Thing.

An L3 system doesn't only become one when "approved in a legal jurisdiction"

Either it meets the standard or it does not. You point this out yourself right here:

SAE is a standards body and sets them. They are not subjective.

Nothing in the standard for a given level required approval in a legal jurisdiction to meet the standard.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have a problem waking their car up from a deep sleep using the app it is just not connecting any ideas?
How old is your car? If it is still a teenager, it might be harder to wake up. /s

Reasons for not connecting using the app I've come across in the past 3.5 years;

1. Worldwide server failure by tesla

2. LTE network down

3. The car is parked or driving somewhere without cell signal (a good one for us was the the only supercharger in the city when we bought the car - it was many levels down in a parking garage with no cell signal.)

4. Not the latest update of the app

5. Apparently if it is very cold, heavy rain, freezing rain, or any other reason I'd want the car to be open the second I arrive at it with my arms full.

(that last one is just me anthropomorphising my car, assuming it hates me as much as I hate it.)

One thing I do have to say…. All those who claimed that FSD without LIDAR is not possible have been proven wrong. i even drove 💯 FSD 35 miles from one city to another with no interventions yesterday during a thunderstorm 6am in the dark of the morning.
The fact that Musk now stresses "supervised" FSD kind of refutes your claim. Supervised FSD is not really FSD, is it?

Reactions: sleepydoc
Well, I'm happy and bummed at the same time. I got my new X, pretty much flawless with the exception of being delivered with FSD 11.4.9 (2024.2.200). I guess whoever checked in the vehicle went to the software tab and checked for updates (and burned my daily check) before my FSD transfer completed so it didn't pull any new FSD software and now I'm stuck on 11.4.9. I'm hoping that at least when the 24 hour cooldown is up tomorrow I'll be back on 12.3.2.

View attachment 1032901View attachment 1032902
Congratulations- it’s a beautiful car!

Unfortunately, since you’re back on 11.4.9 we’ll have to ask you to leave the v12 thread and go back to the one for v11. I think there’s still 1 or 2 other people on it for you to discuss things with. It’s been a pleasure having you here and we hope to see you back in the future!

I had another drive with v12.3.1 last night.

Usually, this route needs about 3-4 pre-planned disengagement with V11. Again, V12 was able to solve all of them. But, a new problem appeared other than the auto-speed related issues.

As we turn right, we should have stayed on the current lane since we need to go straight, yet it decides to switch to the left lane and got stuck. Happened twice. Shouldn't nav have enough information to handle this kind of situation?

On the way back though, it was impressive, zero engagement.

This was the first experience with my wife. Although it got the lanes wrong twice, she likes this version more. 😁

How old is your car? If it is still a teenager, it might be harder to wake up. /s

Reasons for not connecting using the app I've come across in the past 3.5 years;

1. Worldwide server failure by tesla

2. LTE network down

3. The car is parked or driving somewhere without cell signal (a good one for us was the the only supercharger in the city when we bought the car - it was many levels down in a parking garage with no cell signal.)

4. Not the latest update of the app

5. Apparently if it is very cold, heavy rain, freezing rain, or any other reason I'd want the car to be open the second I arrive at it with my arms full.

(that last one is just me anthropomorphising my car, assuming it hates me as much as I hate it.)
it’s in my garage on wifi. Maybe it hit the blunt too hard and is very sleepy I don’t know.