Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time using FSD with the one-month trial that's being given out on 2024.3.6. I have some observations after a 30 mile morning commute:
  • No taillight visualization? I watched some of the FSD videos where they showed FSD visualization showing brake lights and turn signals on other vehicles. I guess it's disabled with the latest FSD?
  • It's hanging out behind a semi-truck on a 5-lane highway, I don't need another cracked windshield. Manual turn signal doesn't influence lane change, kind of disappointing.
  • Almost missed my exit because it's too conservative on the merging, had to take over. I might try 'Aggressive' behavior setting and see what happens.
  • No new Autopark? I guess that's still slowly rolling out.
I have a 2023 Model Y with HW3.
Was FSD better or worse than you expected?

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I forgot to post this earlier but before I traded in the model 3, I took the wife on a "will the wife approve of FSD 12.3?" test drive and I'm happy to report, the drive was so good she was speechless. 12.3 is wife approved.
1000002298.jpg

EDIT: I can hear her now... "Josh you're such an a$$hole. *laughs*"

For me V12 is absolutely a game changer. The improvement is very significant. I have 1 drive I've been doing for 2.5 years with 27 FSD issues that I could count on would happen every drive. Every single one is corrected with V12. I was amazed, plus I can now use V12 with my spouse in the car. I'd call that a game changer "for me".
For me too. I keep getting situations where i expect to jump in but just before i do, the car does exactly what i was prepared to do.
There are still missing pieces like emergency vehicle response and honoring no right on red but i expect those kind of things to be added in time.

I just tried out the latest free-trial version, for entertainment value more than anything else. If this is too long to read, the summary is: drove 3 small routes totaling maybe 10 or 15 miles, with roughly half a dozen "oops" moments including at least 2 times it deactivated itself for reasons that weren't obvious. I'm a FSD newbie, so feel free to tell me what I might be doing wrong.

Navigated from home to Home Depot maybe 5 miles away:

- Failed to pull out of our alley onto a neighborhood street (just sat there) so I did that manually.
- Successfully navigated a couple stop signs, slowed WAY down for several speed bumps.
- Approached intersection with light at larger busy street but the light turned yellow just as we reached it and the car touched the brakes then deactivated FSD and “coasted” (regen) to a stop further into the intersection than I’m comfortable with, including blocking a cross walk. I backed up and waited for the green light manually.
- Started again and it successfully took me all the way to Home Depot, another 4.5mi or so including several stop lights, merging onto and exiting the highway, and pulling into the large parking lot and proceeding to the front of the store.

Navigated to McD’s from Home Depot:

- Finding its way out of the HD lot was tricky and it failed, including seeming like it was pulling out into the path of an oncoming car (which had also just pulled out and turned, in a way that perhaps it did not have the right to do). I hit the brakes and left the lot manually.
- Started again and got to McD’s without further incident, including a few lights and an unprotected left into the lot.

Navigated from McD’s to home:

- Got confused trying to exit the lot where it should have turned left from the parking lot lane into a lane that parallels the street, and then immediately turned right to exit the lot and wait for an opportunity to turn right onto the street. It made the first left VERY slowly, then failed to take the immediate right turn (which was indicated on the nav screen), and pissed off another car in the lot by moving so slowly. I deactivated by wrenching the wheel to take the needed right turn.
- Reactivated after pulling onto the street and putting it into the middle (and correct) lane for an eventual right onto the highway. After a bit it changed lanes into the right lane but that lane is exit only for the wrong direction on the highway, so it almost immediately (50 yards?) moved back to the middle lane and then got on the highway shortly after that.
- Stop and go traffic on the highway came to a stop. The car signaled a lane change to the left to go around stopped traffic, but that lane had upcoming traffic so it waited a bit and then seemed to give up, turning the signal off. Almost immediately after that FSD just deactivated for no apparent reason.
- Reactivated and it took me all the way home, exiting the highway and navigating a few lights and stop signs. The last two turns (indicated correctly on the nav screen) are a right onto a residential street and then an immediate 45 degree right again into our alley (which is a city street on the map, but looks more like a driveway in real life). It took the first right onto the street but it drove right past the alley, continued another block or so and then pulled over and stopped (not where our house is). I deactivated and went around the block to get into the alley.

All in all it was impressive to a newbie, but at the same time that’s quite a few mistakes in 10 or 15 miles of driving. This is my first experience with FSD so what do I know.

D

I have 12.3 and have driven 12.3.1 and got the same old nags. No change in frequency.
One thing I figured out and YMMV, if you get the red warning ⚠️.
Park, lock it, walk away for 1 minute. Then come back and start over.
The system has some kind of memory for not paying attention.
So when you first start, keep your head straight and eyes directly forward for 30 seconds or so. Then you won't get the red warning.
Now your nags should go away or at least decrease dramatically.
For those that ever got a strike, did you notice 2, 3, or 4 red warnings, them bang strike.

I just tried out the latest free-trial version, for entertainment value more than anything else. If this is too long to read, the summary is: drove 3 small routes totaling maybe 10 or 15 miles, with roughly half a dozen "oops" moments including at least 2 times it deactivated itself for reasons that weren't obvious. I'm a FSD newbie, so feel free to tell me what I might be doing wrong.

- Failed to pull out of our alley onto a neighborhood street (just sat there) so I did that manually.
- Successfully navigated a couple stop signs, slowed WAY down for several speed bumps.
- Approached intersection with light at larger busy street but the light turned yellow just as we reached it and the car touched the brakes then deactivated FSD and “coasted” (regen) to a stop further into the intersection than I’m comfortable with, including blocking a cross walk. I backed up and waited for the green light manually.
- Started again and it successfully took me all the way to Home Depot, another 4.5mi or so including several stop lights, merging onto and exiting the highway, and pulling into the large parking lot and proceeding to the front of the store.

- Finding its way out of the HD lot was tricky and it failed, including seeming like it was pulling out into the path of an oncoming car (which had also just pulled out and turned, in a way that perhaps it did not have the right to do). I hit the brakes and left the lot manually.
- Started again and got to McD’s without further incident, including a few lights and an unprotected left into the lot.

- Got confused trying to exit the lot where it should have turned left from the parking lot lane into a lane that parallels the street, and then immediately turned right to exit the lot and wait for an opportunity to turn right onto the street. It made the first left VERY slowly, then failed to take the immediate right turn (which was indicated on the nav screen), and pissed off another car in the lot by moving so slowly. I deactivated by wrenching the wheel to take the needed right turn.
- Reactivated after pulling onto the street and putting it into the middle (and correct) lane for an eventual right onto the highway. After a bit it changed lanes into the right lane but that lane is exit only for the wrong direction on the highway, so it almost immediately (50 yards?) moved back to the middle lane and then got on the highway shortly after that.
- Stop and go traffic on the highway came to a stop. The car signaled a lane change to the left to go around stopped traffic, but that lane had upcoming traffic so it waited a bit and then seemed to give up, turning the signal off. Almost immediately after that FSD just deactivated for no apparent reason.
- Reactivated and it took me all the way home, exiting the highway and navigating a few lights and stop signs. The last two turns (indicated correctly on the nav screen) are a right onto a residential street and then an immediate 45 degree right again into our alley (which is a city street on the map, but looks more like a driveway in real life). It took the first right onto the street but it drove right past the alley, continued another block or so and then pulled over and stopped (not where our house is). I deactivated and went around the block to get into the alley.

All in all it was impressive to a newbie, but at the same time that’s quite a few mistakes in 10 or 15 miles of driving. This is my first experience with FSD so what do I know.

D
Thanks for your 1st impression.
Since you are new, I would highly recommend a soft reboot, 2 fingers holding the scroll wheels, then do a camera recalibration.
Those helped us in the past, especially when we were new testers.
Hope that helps, it's definitely worth a try.
By the way, how did you find this thread being a new tester?
Just curious.
I found it while sitting at a bar with Alan, getting him to buy me free beers from all the bets he lost to me.... 😉

• Informative
Reactions: Pdubs
I've been using FSD since the scoring system. I installed 12.3 this morning after postponing it for about a week, hoping to receive the update that includes the speed fix. Not sure why people are so hyped about it, but i had to disengage 3 times in a short 5 mile in-town trip. Not to mention how close it drives to the curbs. Elon is a genius, but he is crazy to push this on regular people without prior experience with FSD.

D
FSD also needs familiarity from user. Sometimes I disengaged by mistakes. For example, during an unprotected right turn I kept looking at the left side to make sure my car would not be hit. Suddenly FSD turned my car to the street. I disengaged. But I also saw other cars were making left turn the my street at that time.

I forgot to post this earlier but before I traded in the model 3, I took the wife on a "will the wife approve of FSD 12.3?" test drive and I'm happy to report, the drive was so good she was speechless. 12.3 is wife approved.
View attachment 1033388

EDIT: I can hear her now... "Josh you're such an a$$hole. *laughs*"
Take it from me. You are supposed to blow them up and not leave them in the package.