Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok my 12.3.3 report:

Speed control is a mess. Spent much of my 45 minute commute 7mph under the speed limit, at the speed limit, or 15mph over the speed limit. Spent very little time at the right speed, which is generally about 5 mph over (where I have my offset). Tesla needs to work on this quite a bit. Solvable? Yes. Close to solved? No.

Acceleration after stop signs is often way too aggressive. Feels like I’m almost back in my P85. I love gunning it as much as the next guy (takes me back to my USAF days) but it would be nice to have some tread left after using FSD.

Stopping for lights/stop signs is too aggressive, leading to an early slowdown and a prolonged roll to the line (and excessive tread wear/possible friction brake usage). I feel it annoys drivers behind me, in addition to annoying me. Needs to stop close to the creep line or painted line (if it’s there), not at the sign which can often be far back from the intersection.

Creep too slow. Crept out halfway into the main road before committing to a turn.

All these point updates since 12 came out seem to have just shifted the problem around instead of fixing any of them for me. (Too slow, too fast, now too slow AND too fast).

I still think Elon pulled the free demo card too early. Should’ve fixed those basic and widespread issues first. Missed opportunity.

Tesla is on the right path. V12 is a leap forward. But we’re not quite at the march of nines yet. Maybe the march from 95% to 99%. Anyone who thinks we are doesn’t have a large-enough sample size.

My not-too-challenging commute should be nearly perfect for several runs in a row before Tesla considers a free trial. It might be nearly flawless in Austin or San Fran, but still needs work here out east.

I think nothing in red means no FSD, stating the obvious isn’t necessary lol
Um. Think you're wrong on this one.

All factory loads since last September have come with at least 10.x; during the Xmas blow-out everybody was updated to a version that carried 11.4.9. And new factory loads came with that, too.

I've had loads on the cars that Teslafi hadn't gotten around to marking with FSD or not; but, later, when FSD was turned on, showed up with FSD immediately.

So, am pretty sure that all the 2024.8.x loads have 11.4.9 at a bare minimum. Not enabled, of course, but enabled with rental or outright buying.

In fact, now that I think about it, there was a recent tweet from the development team stating that they were working hard getting 12.x into the current factory loads and it was mentioned in passing that said factory loads already had 11.4.9.

Need an input from someone who did a lot more testing on v11.

My highway “v11 stack” overrode my manual speed offset with its own blue number. Is this behavior new? Never seen this before. V12 auto offset is currently turned on.

IMG_5106.jpeg

You’re looking at the wrong version number. Look lower on that screen.
Apparently there is not lower than what he shows. We know he has 2024.8.7. So I went off to find out what version of FSD he has.

No mention of FSD here for 8.7, 8.4, 8.3, just 8.0

Or here for either 8.7 or 8.4.

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

No release notes at all here:

It is one thing to say Teslafi is slow. It is another for NONE of the services producing release notes to mention of FSD level. 2024.8.4 first showed up over 2 weeks ago. More than a quarter of the tracked teslas have 2024.8.X and more and more cars are being put onto it as I type. It appears the only way he has to confirm the FSD version is to subscribe.

• Informative
Reactions: Ramphex
Speed control is a mess. Spent much of my 45 minute commute 7mph under the speed limit, at the speed limit, or 15mph over the speed limit. Spent very little time at the right speed, which is generally about 5 mph over (where I have my offset). Tesla needs to work on this quite a bit. Solvable? Yes. Close to solved? No.
I'm puzzled why FSD has such a hard time trying to figure out the speed. I guess they are as well - such is life with E2E NN ;)

On another note - after a long time on freeway yesterday had to emergency intervene. FSD was changing lanes when another car decided to come into the same lane as well (from 2 lanes over). FSD didn't react in time - may be it would have .... anyway, didn't want to find out.

Shows why it is important to keep the hands on the wheel all the time (esp. when changing lanes or turning).

Last edited:

All factory loads since last September have come with at least 10.x; during the Xmas blow-out everybody was updated to a version that carried 11.4.9. And new factory loads came with that, too.

I've had loads on the cars that Teslafi hadn't gotten around to marking with FSD or not; but, later, when FSD was turned on, showed up with FSD immediately.

So, am pretty sure that all the 2024.8.x loads have 11.4.9 at a bare minimum. Not enabled, of course, but enabled with rental or outright buying.

In fact, now that I think about it, there was a recent tweet from the development team stating that they were working hard getting 12.x into the current factory loads and it was mentioned in passing that said factory loads already had 11.4.9.
Is there anyone in this thread with 2024.8.x and a subscription that can confirm this?

Reactions: FSDtester#1

My highway “v11 stack” overrode my manual speed offset with its own blue number. Is this behavior new? Never seen this before. V12 auto offset is currently turned on.

View attachment 1034298
That's not new, and not new to FSD v12.

Several months ago that started and it used to come w/ a message saying "setting speed to match traffic" or something to that extent so the car wouldn't aggressively slow down when no one else is. If no other cars were around it wouldn't have done that, and eventually the set speed will back down toward the posted + offset.

By the way, using the “C++ guardrail” layer discussed earlier it should be trivial to limit the car to your set speed offset over the speed limit when the car wants to go much faster. That’s 10 minutes of code. Should never be taking me down a road at 50mph when the posted speed limit is 35mph and the car is showing 35mph as the identified speed limit.

Hell'sKitchen's car is old enough to have FSDV10 if he wasn't updating regularly. But I'd be surprised that was the case. What we don't know is which version he updated from this week. That would also let us know which FSD version he has since (and this is an assumption accepted as fact here) an update won't revert you to an earlier version of FSD.

(Edited to add: The reason I'm so interested in this when I have no skin in that game as an FSD owner is because so many vehicles have this version. Given we are in the middle of a roll-out of V12.3.3, and all those free trials of FSD you'd think dead-end update offers would not be pushed out by tesla.)

I despise the cabin camera, of course I tried it, there was an option to opt out of cabin camera analytics up to like J 10.something, and even though it drove like crap, at least I didn’t get bothered for the use of the phone lol
You can put up a picture of you holding the wheel, it works, no joke. Have a passenger take a picture of the screen while you’re in service mode and have the cabin camera on with you holding the wheel. Then you can tape it to the roof of the car and use the service mode in cabin camera to place the paper correctly. Whenever they catch on someday you can just use a suction cup holder with your phone and take a several minute clip of you holding the wheel and loop it.

That's not new, and not new to FSD v12.

Several months ago that started and it used to come w/ a message saying "setting speed to match traffic" or something to that extent so the car wouldn't aggressively slow down when no one else is. If no other cars were around it wouldn't have done that, and eventually the set speed will back down toward the posted + offset.
Thanks, my v11 experience was terrible so I did not do a lot of testing on it to experience that. Good to know that’s not new.

Reactions: FSDtester#1

View attachment 1034298
As it happens, I've been driving around with the 12.3.x loads with the Auto Speed turned on. It's been interesting: On local roads sometimes it goes slower than the limit; sometimes faster than the limit, but seems to be keeping up with traffic, mostly.

And it's a new shiny thing, so of course I'm playing with it. Interestingly, if one dials it up in speed to go faster, sometimes it goes faster.

As for interstates: This is New Jersey around here. Of course everybody speeds. There are sections of the Garden State Parkway where the limit is nominally 65 and if one isn't doing, like, near 80 mph (no, I don't do that) one gets passed continually.

So, on I287, there's a section where the speed limit goes from 55 to 65. On 11.4.9 and previous, the car would see the speed limit sign and would up its speed to 65; I didn't happen to use the fixed of percentage offset, so it was on me to crank the limit up to 70 so I wouldn't get run over by semis.

Over the past few days with 12.3.x, on auto: Yep, it's showing the soft-of-11.x settable limit up there. But where that speed limit changes, it zips up to 72 mph. Which, by and large, is what all the automobiles (but not necessarily trucks) are running at. Sometimes I dial it back to 70, sometimes not.

So, that's not a pure 11.x stack in there. Whatever it is, it appears to be getting its initial set points from the 12.x auto speed stack. At least when it's on Auto Speed.

Try driving where there are people riding bicycles in their dedicated lanes next to cars. Or approaching a hill crest where the car can't see beyond the crest.
On the bicycles, it slightly moves over to give them more room. If it slowed down at all, it was very little. This is on at least three bikes in their lane immediately adjacent to me, going both directions (same and opposite me - it happens here), consistent behavior, on a 55 mph secondary highway with a bike lane on each far side. This is 12.3.2.1. I know TACC/Autosteer still act like they want to pull over and pick up the bicyclist - crazy. Last FSD I tried, 11.4.4.... don't remember how it handed bicycles.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Have subscribed to FSD by the month, and now I get the Free Month Of FSD Email. Will it actually be free?

Yes! I'm looking at the subscription billing receipts in the Tesla App, and I can see that I am billed on the 7th of each month, and I see Jan, Feb, and March in there. The app also says my next billing will be May 7 - so April 7 to May 6 is free. I'm happy with that.

Strongly suspect that those users on 2024.8.x will get V12 for a free month once it becomes available on their hardware or location. The start date will get adjusted. This sort of thing happened to me when I bought the car last August, a 2023 HW4 MYP. I had referrals giving me 3 months of free FSD beta, but it wasn't available for few weeks, until Sept 7. Once it started, I got the whole 3 months of trial.

So for MS/MX cars, is there any way to select which parking space you want it to auto park in? I know on the other cars where the FDS is on the touch screen you can just touch which one you want it to use. But it wasn't obvious if there was a moral equivalent on the S or X