Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New drive today -- I get much better behavior by driving with auto max speed OFF. I set my offset to 10% which gives good behavior on the slower streets, and is also easy to just quickly scroll the wheel if I need to adjust the speed. My problem with auto max is going way too fast on residential streets, and it's much easier to get the car to go faster than to get it to go slower, so auto max speed OFF works better for me.

I don't seem to have the issue where it's limited to 5 over, which is great because that would make FSD pretty useless in a lot of places for me. Only issue this morning really was one improper lane selection (always at the same place, so I keep reporting it), and one dry wipe. ☠️
I was leaving on auto to help the SFSD learning, but agree the % above is better.

The car ahead of me, didn’t notice further than that.
Yeah my issue was with the second car in front -- the one in front of the one in front of me. As humans, we can look through windows and anticipate problems before they occur (at least if we're paying attention!) We can start slowing down because we can anticipate that the car in front of us will do so, thus avoiding a domino effect and causing the guy behind us to have zero reaction time and slam into us.

FSD 12 doesn't seem to be doing this yet, but it should be theoretically possible... I do remember way back I actually got a FCW where it highlighted the second car in front in red, and it was right (if a little overcautious).

Oh right, you mean the old autopark system? Yeah, that's so broken I haven't used it in over a year. I hardly get the prompts to even activate it on either car. Tons of tire grinding like you said. Apparently new ussless autopark works much better. It's slow, but no more tire grinding and does better maneuvers. It can also initiate a park into a spot from much further away. Allowing you to pre pick the spot on the visualization instead of having to hunt for it with your cameras.

Like smart summon, I consider old autopark so bad that I forget it even exists.
Am I on the old auto park? I honestly don't know. My car has USS but I'm also on FSD 12.3.3. Maybe that explains it?

Is it me or V12.3.3 / 2024.3.10 doesn't display the blindspot camera during lane changes about 1 out of 10 times? How am I supposed to 'Supervise' if it's not showing my blindspots.

And one time it changed lane without a turn signal.

As a slow driver (but not as slow as some of the reports on V12.x.x!) I'm now terribly confused about speed settings. As well, what changes have been made to vehicles when only AP, or only TACC is engaged.

Is there an authoritative site that breaks it down in clear English?

Yesterday there were dozens of post arguing if/how speed offset changes the car's behaviour with regards to speed or if it just sets when the alarm is going to go off if you have that feature set.

Then last night was this both very helpful but also confusing post (the green text is my highlighting.)
All relative to detected limit:

Chill: +5%
Average: +10%
Assertive: +15%

Actually kind of convenient, assuming it gets to speed (because it is v11 it does as long as detected speed is correct - something v12 does not do). We do NOT want v12 on the highways, folks - it would be a huge disaster with respect to speed targets (people are extremely picky about that). Have to fix that problem first.

In manual mode in general it should just respect your own chosen offset, with v11 active, when using FSDS v12.

In both cases, the target or proposed target is visible since v11 is in operation.

V12 offset with ASSO mode is +50% (invisible).

In all cases this limit is honored as a cap on speed.

The last line is unclear as to whether "this limit" refers to a speed offset I set (either as a percentage in the disputed setting, or in selecting Chill/Average/Assertive, still unclear on that) or whether it is referring to the V12 ASSO invisible offsets. Does the "chosen offset" refer to the percentage setting or the chill/average/assertive setting?

This is why I'm hoping someone has a site to point me to. I'm finding gathering all these moving parts from the posts in this (and other) threads too complicated. The moving parts are

Version of the FW
Version of V12
HW 3 or 4
Then settings:
Chill/Average/Assertive
Speed offset setting
ASSO on or off

And I might be missing other settings as well.

Normally, I'd just say eff this and add it as another effin reason to hate my tesla but once the update happens tomorrow (no control over that, tesla is doing it for me), then I will be dealing with new speed behaviour both in FSD and, according to some posts, AP. As I do use my TACC extensively specifically to keep me from speeding when speed cameras can ticket me, I need to fully understand how tesla has changed the control the owner has over the cruise control setting and how much the car is overriding my selections/settings. Is it only allowing me the choice to drive the car without TACC engaged, or drive the car with tesla deciding what speed I should be driving, not how I set the car when I engaged TACC?

Is there an authoritative site that breaks it down in clear English?
There is no authoritative website other than TMC.
I'm finding gathering all these moving parts from the posts in this (and other) threads too complicated. The moving parts are

Version of the FW
Version of V12
HW 3 or 4
Then settings:

Chill/Average/Assertive
Speed offset setting
ASSO on or off
Suggest simplifying to what the car is and ignore other configurations. After reading posts, do some testing on your own. This is the only way to learn how to use FSD (supervised), there is no manual.

There is no authoritative website other than TMC.

Suggest simplifying to what the car is and ignore other configurations. After reading posts, do some testing on your own. This is the only way to learn how to use FSD (supervised), there is no manual.
I gave you a thumbs up because I fear what you said is true so thumbs down is inappropriate. TMC needs either a Mad Emoji or a "this is effin stupid but thanks for confirming my fears" emoji. Probably the first one would be easier to add.

If what you say is true, I'm wondering how NHTSA won't get involved with this rollout. It has resulted in millions of people driving their vehicles using assorted ADAS features that not only may have the car overriding the speed (both what is entered by the driver and what is displayed on the screen as the speed limit) but without access to documentation describing the car will be doing so and how to set the options in a way that one is comfortable with and feels they can safely supervise the FSD software. Trial and error is a bad way to have people learn what their car might do.

Last edited:
Reactions: edseloh
I paid for FSD years ago. Good money which could have been used to buy TSLA stock and would have made some nice gains. Yet, I believed in the mission only to see people who haven’t paid a dime for FSD, who also drive nuch cheaper cars than ours, get to enjoy FSD supervised way ahead of us. This is frustrating and not good. I feel left behind. Btw I even upgraded to MCU2 in order to have a faster and better experience. Tesla is just flipping the bird at us..

Reactions: RNHurt
Have people tried 12.x off road? Maybe something safer to do with Cybertruck when end-to-end is validated for that?

Oh god. Thanks. I never thought of that.

All we need now is cybertruck to take grandpa deep into the woods and off the cliff. Put that fresh policy to work.

Cybercofinnnnnn turn your head and cough wooooooo

Reactions: FSDtester#1
That's not true. I care.
View attachment 1034932

You can pull name and address information with a VIN though if you have the right tools.
I can just give you my name and address, it’s useless information, just like the VIN, the registration plate, the email address, my phone number.

It’s 21st century, let’s be real, all of that information is out there. Plus what are you going to do with that information? Subscribe me to some nudie mags? Send me some pizzas? Prank call me?

I mean sure you can show up at my house…. And then what? Do same thing you can do if you run into me at the CVS parking lot when I’m picking up my extra strength hemorrhoid cream?

People watch too many shows lol

I can just give you my name and address, it’s useless information, just like the VIN, the registration plate, the email address, my phone number.

It’s 21st century, let’s be real, all of that information is out there. Plus what are you going to do with that information? Subscribe me to some nudie mags? Send me some pizzas? Prank call me?

I mean sure you can show up at my house…. And then what? Do same thing you can do if you run into me at the CVS parking lot when I’m picking up my extra strength hemorrhoid cream?

People watch too many shows lol
2.png

This actually sounds like a great way to pick up a stalker and I'm pretty lonely. Need someone to drink wine and eat cheese with when I'm bored.

I don’t want to go the speed limit, or 7 below, or 15 over in close-to-reckless driving territory (20 over here in Virginia)
What speed do you want 12.x to go? The current behavior of either Automatic Set Speed Offset or the manual Percentage Offset is to let end-to-end decide if it should go slower than the set speed and up to a percentage above the detected speed limit. For a 40mph speed limit, Automatic by default is allowed to go up to 60mph, but most reports seem like it wouldn't want to go that fast anyway. Lower speed limits and Automatic won't go 20 over (unless you scroll up), but higher speed limits could allow for reckless, e.g., 83mph in a 55, so if you often drive on 55mph city streets, switching to manual offset's maximum 30% would clamp it to 72mph to avoid reckless if it would have even wanted to go that fast.

If you think you're setting a relative +5mph, you might be confusing it with Speed Assist / Speed Limit Warning that was discussed yesterday, and it doesn't affect how fast it goes.