Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But this is controllable. You just turn off auto mode. That allows you to get auto mode (auto mode is enabled even though it is disabled), but use your own limit. It’s the same, you just get to control the limit on how fast it goes. That is in contrast to the limit being invisible, defaulting to 50% over detected limit, but controllable with the scroll wheel (pure ASSO behavior).
Nope I don't touch if. Much prefer to let the speed be a little slow or a little fast as long as it doesn't seem to be affecting other drivers. The biggest problem is when there is no traffic around for FSD to adjust speed to. What's interesting is every day speed control by FSD seems to change. I much prefer how speed is managed now with auto speed then how badly it worked on V11 and how often I had to use the scroll wheel. Lets hope Tesla figures this out soon.

FSD12 will do whatever the hell it wants up to the maximum speed specified. It’ll go 8 in a 45 with no traffic around if it wants and the only way to get around it is to repeatedly goose the accelerator.

It’s irritating and it’s making me nauseous.
do you have ASSO (or whatever it's called) on?

I have the 'regular' speed setting and it pretty reliably accelerates up to about 5 -8 MPH under what I have the max speed set at. After that a quick tap of the accelerator will get it to go the rest of the way. Still needs to be fixed but better than it was under 12.3 and better than ASSO

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
do you have ASSO (or whatever it's called) on?

I have the 'regular' speed setting and it pretty reliably accelerates up to about 5 -8 MPH under what I have the max speed set at. After that a quick tap of the accelerator will get it to go the rest of the way. Still needs to be fixed but better than it was under 12.3 and better than ASSO
I’ve been using both modes and yes they are less bad than they were. “Better” is a stretch.

Reactions: rlsd and sleepydoc
Biggest issues I’ve seen are:

-Turns from some intersections/stop signs/lights are just painfully SLOW. I don’t think it will make a right on red any longer because it takes sooooo long to creep forward, by time it decides to go, the light is green. This was much better on 11.4.9. Definitely worse on all versions of V12 I’ve had.

-Poor lane selection in “city”, missing exits on the highway.

- auto speed control is better in 12.3.3, but still needs work.

-the handoff between v12 and v11 highway stack has issues.

-I’d like to see it give pedestrians/cyclists more room.

much prefer how speed is managed now with auto speed then how badly it worked on V11 and how often I had to use the scroll wheel. Lets hope Tesla figures this out soon.

I thought you said it was “often too fast.” Just thought you might like a zero-cost solution to that (except for freeways, where rapid offset adjustment based on driving mode would be lost).

I guess if you like that it goes too fast not changing anything makes sense (though you could still use manual mode with a Ludicrous offset).

Last edited:
Biggest issues I’ve seen are:

-Turns from some intersections/stop signs/lights are just painfully SLOW. I don’t think it will make a right on red any longer because it takes sooooo long to creep forward, by time it decides to go, the light is green. This was much better on 11.4.9. Definitely worse on all versions of V12 I’ve had.

-Poor lane selection in “city”, missing exits on the highway.

- auto speed control is better in 12.3.3, but still needs work.

-the handoff between v12 and v11 highway stack has issues.

-I’d like to see it give pedestrians/cyclists more room.
- missing exits on the highway is unchanged for me and I suspect a V11 issue.
- School zone/school bus management. The former has been extensively discussed and I doubt will be solved in the foreseeable future
- 'decision wobble'
- lane planning seems better in 12.3.3 but I agree it still needs some work

Coming out of a small side street today had to disengage since FSD continues to ignore the no left turn sign. Has anyone had FSD behave correctly to this type of sign?

View attachment 1035275
Some of them are time restricted here and FSD ignores them too. It also tried to drive around a crossing guard with her stop sign out which was not good, but then it also stopped later when a reckless person crossed in the middle of the road without looking, so you win some and lose some. It’s not a fast road but had it been someone else, could have gone badly.

Finally, someone pulled out across the road in front of me and cut off 4 lanes of traffic in both directions, with less than a second to spare, and I have no idea what FSD would have done because I was braking and honking at that fool. This is the kind of crap why auto max isn’t a great idea around here.

Some of them are time restricted here and FSD ignores them too. It also tried to drive around a crossing guard with her stop sign out which was not good, but then it also stopped later when a reckless person crossed in the middle of the road without looking, so you win some and lose some. It’s not a fast road but had it been someone else, could have gone badly.

Finally, someone pulled out across the road in front of me and cut off 4 lanes of traffic in both directions, with less than a second to spare, and I have no idea what FSD would have done because I was braking and honking at that fool. This is the kind of crap why auto max isn’t a great idea around here.
I had far more scary and dangerous situations with V11 and every previous build then V12.3.3. For me the added safety of V12.3.3 is significant.

As better as it is, and that’s BETTER not perfect… the wife meter still says “please, turn it off and just YOU drive”..

Highway 17 today was a nail biter today.. I’m still surprised I still have two functioning LEFT wheels.

Better, is not NEAR perfect, and certainly no RT.

My question or litmus test for ppls REAL impression of FSD is going to be this:

Would you put yourself and your six year old child in the BACKSEAT at 07:30 local time, strapped in and let this drive you from HOME to a major metro airport, with streets, on-ramps, highways, off ramps and congestion traveling ~ 20-30 miles in total without concern.

Of COURSE this is not now, but that would be my real test.. this would of course be something L3+, which we don’t have, but frankly this is the type of thing that RT is going to REQUIRE - and we’re still a long way from that.

I thought you said it was “often too fast.” Just thought you might like a zero cost solution to that (except for freeways, where rapid offset adjustment based on driving mode would be lost).

I guess if you like that it goes too fast not changing anything makes sense (though you could still use manual mode with a Ludicrous offset).
Too fast is relative. I'm talking a few miles per hour which I'm ok with. I'm trying to keep FSD simple so frequently messing with speeds isn't worth it for me. Before auto max I was frequently spinning the scroll wheel up and down. Much prefer auto max to that behavior. And it will get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
- missing exits on the highway is unchanged for me and I suspect a V11 issue.
- School zone/school bus management. The former has been extensively discussed and I doubt will be solved in the foreseeable future
- 'decision wobble'
- lane planning seems better in 12.3.3 but I agree it still needs some work
I think we'll see school bus management (i.e. flashing lights) fixed relatively soon. Seems like a fairly simple effort to have FSD watch thousands of videos with drivers stopping for school buses with flashing lights. Solving the school zone problem feels more difficult. So many different ways towns across the country implement school zone signs. In some towns where I live though it's fairly simple. We have lights that flash when it's school zone time.

1712191504352.png

Reactions: Stan930
As better as it is, and that’s BETTER not perfect… the wife meter still says “please, turn it off and just YOU drive”..

Highway 17 today was a nail biter today.. I’m still surprised I still have two functioning LEFT wheels.

Would you put yourself and your six year old child in the BACKSEAT at 07:30 local time, strapped in and let this drive you from HOME to a major metro airport, with streets, on-ramps, highways, off ramps and congestion traveling ~ 20-30 miles in total without concern.

Of COURSE this is not now, but that would be my real test.. this would of course be something L3+, which we don’t have, but frankly this is the type of thing that RT is going to REQUIRE - and we’re still a long way from that.
Highway 17 is a nail biter at the best of times as a passenger. (I don't think I've ever had a chance to drive it myself but I can't imagine agreeing to stay in a car that had FSD making the decisions and expecting the driver to intervene if it makes a wrong one.

Actually, based on my experience over the past 100 miles, yes. It’s been that good for me.

It’s odd - I know there’s a lot of variability between cars and locations but at times it seems like I have a totally different version of software than some people here.

Before auto max I was frequently spinning the scroll wheel up and down. Much prefer auto max to that behavior. And it will get better.
Right but remember you get the same thing when you turn automax/ASSO off. You can identify the % over speed limit that does not work for you on any road when using ASSO. Then reduce manual level to a percent or two below that and use that instead. Same thing, reduces issue.

E.g. ASSO is going 39 in a 30. You’d prefer 37 in a 30. Set manual to 23% and be a legend. BUT this may mean you can go 61mph in a 50mph (if ASSO allows, because the speed algorithm is still active when it is turned off, just not the +50% set speed portion). If that is happening you set a lower % on the Autopilot menu.

Definitely will be less dialing than v11 if you like to go slowly but sometimes slightly over the limit.

If you don’t make this switch to manual mode, the only practical solution when the car is speeding is to disengage. (You can dial the invisible offset furiously too but that is not practical.)

Last edited:
Reactions: primedive
Yeah it MAY work slightly better than Auto but it is still F'ed from v11. I wish Tesla would give this feature back at least until the Auto speed is more fully sorted out.
I don't use Auto speed as it is not working consistently for me. Adjusting it manually as I did in V11 works fine for me and better than Auto.