Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if we score us some ASS in 12.4.x who will be the first to post an embarrassing act? I'm sure the newbies will be quick to try it at Walmart on a Saturday afternoon. I still remember showing SS to a friend in a busy parking lot and how it got stuck blocking traffic in both directions. I'm running across the parking lot with my head DOWN as people blow their horns at my car.

Of course that ASS will be some fine stuff but I'm hesitant to spank it in public off the bat. I'll play with that ASS in a lot without voyeurs all around
And the DIC doesn’t even need to be in it

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Looks like I spoke too soon. Seems like there are still at least 2 FSD tracks and they aren’t merging.
I suspect that 12.4 is releasing on 2024.9.x just because that's where the branch started. It feels like the candidate cars that it will be able to be deployed to is going to be limited as more care are moving to the 14.x branch.
So I'm going to guess that broad release of 12.4 will come later once it gets merged to 14

Reactions: Twiglett
I suspect that 12.4 is releasing on 2024.9.x just because that's where the branch started. It feels like the candidate cars that it will be able to be deployed to is going to be limited as more care are moving to the 14.x branch.
So I'm going to guess that broad release of 12.4 will come later once it gets merged to 14
Exactly this.
When an FSD release is being working on it tends to stick to the major software release and only once it has stabilized will it start getting wide distribution to the most up to date release.
This is the biggest reason for it always being on an older build.

Damn Ive been having some complex great urban drives the last few days. I swear it seems I've gotten at least some Delta update action improving 12.3.9. Or maybe Elon slipped me some 12.4 love'n in a shadow mode. 🫣 🤣 🤣 Today I even had it make 2 Yellow lights that in the past 12.3.x would have been a hard braking/stop event. Yesterday I went 7 miles up Peachtree St/Rd from Midtown to Buckhead and back in heavy traffic and not a single disengagement. My only disengagement in the last few days was today on GA Tech campus on a moderate traffic street it tried to get in the Right turn lane needed to go straight. But it is now killing it in the city and seems to have gotten so much better. In fact it is so good now I'm not "dying" for 12.4.x. At lest until others start getting it and FOMO kicks my s$$.
Any chance you've gotten the new maps? NA-2024.8-14924

So I'm going to guess that broad release of 12.4 will come later once it gets merged
So the 2014.3.25 folks who upgraded to the 14 branch passed the update by. I never checked for it because I was afraid of doing just that.

If someone was on 3.25 and was offered 14.6 or 14.7 but didn't download or install it do you think Tesla would eventually offer them 9.x? Or does Tesla only offer the cutting edge to a certain subset of more long-standing FSD users? Does the fact that they were offered 14.6/14.7 imply they would never be offered 9.x and therefore might as well go ahead with the 14.x and wait for 12.4.x to make it to a 14.x branch?

If someone was on 3.25 and was offered 14.6 or 14.7 but didn't download or install it do you think Tesla would eventually offer them 9.x? Or does Tesla only offer the cutting edge to a certain subset of more long-standing FSD users? Does the fact that they were offered 14.6/14.7 imply they would never be offered 9.x and therefore might as well go ahead with the 14.x and wait for 12.4.x to make it to a 14.x branch?
I answered all these questions yesterday... find that post 📫

• Funny
Reactions: LSDTester#1
This is all my understanding, but I can't guarantee it:

If someone was on 3.25 and was offered 14.6 or 14.7 but didn't download or install it do you think Tesla would eventually offer them 9.x?
No.

Or does Tesla only offer the cutting edge to a certain subset of more long-standing FSD users?
Yes. (I assume you are referring to FSDs as "cutting edge" as this group does not get the "cutting edge" of other features. Like the new UI, Audible, Trip timeline, etc. We are normally months behind on those things. Like we still don't have the "one time charge limit" feature.)

Does the fact that they were offered 14.6/14.7 imply they would never be offered 9.x and therefore might as well go ahead with the 14.x and wait for 12.4.x to make it to a 14.x branch?
Yes.

I answered all these questions yesterday... find that post 📫
IMG_0967.gif

This is all my understanding, but I can't guarantee it:

No.

Yes. (I assume you are referring to FSDs as "cutting edge" as this group does not get the "cutting edge" of other features. Like the new UI, Audible, Trip timeline, etc. We are normally months behind on those things. Like we still don't have the "one time charge limit" feature.)

Yes.
Thanks. Yes I meant cutting edge FSD and not cutting edge new features like the Spring update with 14.x.

In all likelihood ALL 24.3.25 people that are offered 24.14.x is because they are subscribers and let it lapse. Tesla only wants very interested people as the testers and letting your FSD subscription lapse is just the opposite.

It's possible. Here's an example of someone who was on 2024.2.7 and cleared the pending install of 2024.8.4 via service menu then 2 days later received 2024.3.10 instead to get 12.3.3.
It is possible, I have messed around with this over the years to experiment, but never found it to be reliable.
I would recommend to someone who did install the 14 branch software who wants V12.4 faster to try this method.
If they are lucky they could be downgraded to their last software.
It can't hurt, but I wouldn't give it a high percentage of success.
I just did this last month when they gave me the updated Yoke. (BTW, I highly recommend you make Tesla give you this because your old one is worn out, and if it isn't worn out, wear it out. The new one puts the horn back where it belongs and the old button for the horn is now able to pull up rear facing 3 cameras with a touch, and it also serves to turn off the nag) EDIT: The quality of the new Yoke is far superior compared to the old one.
Regarding this software update to make the new yoke was functional, I did the reinstall of the software. It kept me on the same software, but apparently support for the new yoke was inside the same software and it just needed to be reinstalled to recognize the new hardware.

Remember, as I have posted numerous times. Tesla chooses what group you are in, based on hardware, if your early access or OG, or "CJOG", and sometimes luck of the draw.

Last edited:
But the navigation system doesn't appear to have lane planning at all. For example, when I drive with the nav, it doesn't tell me in well in advance which one is the exact optimal lane. Instead, I have to be closer to the junction before it shows a standard lane hint for that turn or junction (the one that shows the lane layout for the junction specifically), which as you point out in your own example, can offer lanes that are "incorrect" if you don't want to have to make last minute lane changes at the next turn or junction.

Thus FSD needs to have it's own macro lane planning function if you want to avoid situations like that. Without that, it's going to drive like a driver relying on lane hints at every turn/junction and not making a wholistic lane plan for the entire trip.
I consider the timing of when to merge over to take an exit to be a micro planning decision, as the decision of when to merge depends on traffic conditions.

Macro planning is more the general route. Turn lanes like I described above can also be done in advance since the turn lane you need to be and doesn’t change with traffic conditions.