Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So v12.4 begets v12.4.1 and maybe thereafter v12.4.2 is released to the unwashed masses in 2 weeks?
Here was my guess a few days ago.

Regardless we all need to take a breath and remember it is a process and anyone here who has it in <20 days will be lucky. Here is a plausible VERY optimistic schedule:

24.9.6/12.4.1 > 5/26 (only some minor bugs)
24.9.7/12.4.2 > 5/31 (only some minor bugs) goes out to influencers and maybe a few testers.
24.9.8/12.4.3 > 6/7 starts slow rollout to all

I have to be closer to the junction before it shows a standard lane hint for that turn or junction (the one that shows the lane layout for the junction specifically)
I would think this is purely a UI heuristic for the driver as the map/navigation data can know about the lanes from the very beginning even before a destination is set. I've even noticed inconsistency in the UI where center screen shows lane hints when it's strictly less than 0.5mi (i.e., UI shows 0.4mi) while it seems like S/X instrument panel shows the same data earlier when less than 1km (i.e., UI shows 0.6mi).

Before end-to-end, it was pretty obvious to me that 11.x behavior made use of the "invisible" lane data resulting in sometimes smart but often wrong lane selection behavior well advance of the UI showing the lanes to the driver, and this is especially needed at high speeds on freeways / NoA. Presumably 12.x is using the same data if available but generally learned when to use it or not. I've experienced situations where it completely ignores a right-turn out of a parking lot to skip a subsequent U-turn and instead directly make a left turn. This flexibility in it following navigation or not probably also results in it sometimes picking the wrong left-turn lane, but I've also experienced it correctly picking the outer lane to make the subsequent right-turn easier.

Unclear if the UI heuristics for informing the driver which is a "recommended" / bolded turn lane is even given to 12.x, but 11.x behavior seemed to ignore and used its own heuristics instead.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Here was my guess a few days ago.

Regardless we all need to take a breath and remember it is a process and anyone here who has it in <20 days will be lucky. Here is a plausible VERY optimistic schedule:

24.9.6/12.4.1 > 5/26 (only some minor bugs)
24.9.7/12.4.2 > 5/31 (only some minor bugs) goes out to influencers and maybe a few testers.
24.9.8/12.4.3 > 6/7 starts slow rollout to all
You missed one part, @FSDtester#1 and @Pdubs and @JHCCAZ and @JulienW receive 24.9.6/12.4.1 on 5/22/24 at 11:32 pm local time.

Oh, I found a FSD trick 2 days ago I forgot to post about.

When entering a known highway/freeway etc. the stack takes forever to switch from V12 to V11... Very frustrating for me and likely others.
2 days ago I was in a mad hurry and while entering the on ramp, I floored it. Waaaay before it usually switches over to the highway stack and at
around 70 mph, it switched from auto max to the reliable actual max, and I was at least a half a mile away from the normal switchover. So for the impatient folks who can't wait to crank the speed up to your stable "Max" limit... give it a shot. It works better than sex panther, which we knows works 100% of the time, 60% of the time...

You missed one part, @FSDtester#1 and @Pdubs and @JHCCAZ and @JulienW receive 24.9.6/12.4.1 on 5/22/24 at 11:32 pm local time.
I told you to keep quiet about that. 😲 If Tesla finds out they may change us to Elon time and you know what that means...................🤔🤔🤔

...........if you understand Elon time you could make lotto money transposing with human time.🤣

I answered all these questions yesterday... find that post 📫
Thank you Tester#1 for that! When (and on what version) did you join the FSD beta branch?

I've been digging around in TeslaFi and have put together a comparison between the update sequences of two typical cars, one in the main branch and the the other in what I call the "FSD tester" branch. They are listed side by side in the same chronological sequence. You can see that these two branches only rarely get the same version.

Since Version 2023.20.7 the FSD code has been included in all the main branch releases. As a result, anyone who buys, subscribes or gets a free trial can turn FSD on right away. The same version of FSD is usually included in several successive main branch releases.

In the FSD Tester branch, each release usually includes a new version of FSD, and these version are not available to the main branch until the testers have had them for a while. (There was an exception with 2023.44.x /fsd 11.4.9 which was related to a recall, a holiday version and a short syncing of the two branches.)

I am still not certain what criteria put people into the tester branch, but many of us passed the "safety score" and joined the "beta" program as late as mid 2022. I for one tried unsuccessfully to get out of the program and appear to still be in.

This makes me wonder if it would be helpful to have a separate TMC thread for main branch FSD users, so they don't have to wade through 700 pages of posts discussing countless 12.x.x releases.

FSD vs Main Compared.jpg

Thank you Tester#1 for that! When (and on what version) did you join the FSD beta branch?
Nice Post !! ... I got on with the original 100% safety scores testers in October 2021. Less than 1000 people in the USA were able to get that mystical 100%. (someone is not going to believe the less than 1000 number, there are many links, here is one: Tesla FSD Beta 10.2 Release Date: Oct. 8; Perfect 100% Safety Scores Required - TeslaNorth.com

I sat on 99% for the entire time and couldn't get to 100%. Then on a random Thursday, I had to pick up my daughter 20 miles away on a 4 lane divided highway, and one of the criteria at the time was keeping a safe following distance. This was hard to do, since you had to (from memory) keep around 3 seconds of distance and be at 50 or 60 mph for it to be counting towards the safe following distance metric. Well, I picked her up and then drove home. Woke up the next day and checked my app, and my score was now 100%. I said to myself, "I am not driving 1 foot until they end the scoring phase". Little did I know that day (Friday) that the safety scores all disappeared from the apps of certain users. It freaked me out at first, and then realized that I happened to get to 100% less than 24 hours before Tesla scraped the data and granted Version 10.2 to the first safety score testers.
Here is their original email and yes, the misspelling at the end is the way it came from Tesla. (Thank instead of Thanks!) The Quality Assurance folks with FSD apparently also were also the ones sending emails.

Hello,
We will be pushing FSD Beta Version 10.2 to your vehicle shortly!

Full Self-Driving is in limited early access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving Beta is enabled, your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations. Every driver is responsible for remaining alert and active when using Autopilot and must be prepared to take action at any time.

As part of receiving FSD Beta, your vehicle has automatically opted into VIN associated telemetry sharing with Tesla, including Autopilot usage data, images and/or video. If you wish to be removed from the limited early access FSD Beta please email [email protected]

Your vehicle is running on Tesla Vision! Note that Tesla Vision also includes some temporary limitations, as noted below:

• Follow distance is limited to 2-7.
  • Autopilot top speed is 80 mph.
How to provide feedback:

• Press the "Video Record" button on the top bar UI to send an Autopilot Snapshot video clip.
    • Clips are automatically sent to the engineering team. You will not be able to view the clip.
  • You can email your feedback to [email protected].
    • In your email please include date, time, location, and if you took an Autopilot Snapshot. This helps us investigate issues, and better understand your feedback.

Thank,

The Tesla Team

"How to provide feedback:

Press the "Video Record" button on the top bar UI to send an Autopilot Snapshot video clip."

Only the OG can see that button?
That button stayed for some people and some others lost it. I had it for about 2 years, it went away, came back, then left for good.
@DirtyT3sla (Chris) and Chuck Cook still have it, I think Black Tesla has it also.

That button stayed for some people and some others lost it. I had it for about 2 years, it went away, came back, then left for good.
@DirtyT3sla (Chris) and Chuck Cook still have it, I think Black Tesla has it also.
The pop-up is better than the button IMO. It was annoying to reach over and push it at times.

guys, what's the guess on the path forward for Spring release and FSD 12.4?
if on 2024.3.25/12.3.6 how getting to spring release 2024.14? just the expected path
if on 2024.3.25/12.3.6 how getting to FSD 12.4 if in 2024.9 base code? 2024.3 to 2024.14 sticking with 12.3.6 and then the next steps to 2024.? with FSD 12.4? 2024.15 will bring us all together? spring plus FSD 12.4

BTW, i am seeing consistent edge cases when crossing a miss aligned intersection without lane lines, happened again today, diff location
intersections like this should not even be allowed to exist, let alone designed
not sure why FSD does not use the map data to cross the intersection, 12.3.6 consistently fails crossing miss aligned intersections when there is no lead car to follow or or drive lane lines
a robotaxi could not cross this
1716423006629.png

guys, what's the guess on the path forward for Spring release and FSD 12.4?
if on 2024.3.25/12.3.6 how getting to spring release 2024.14? just the expected path
if on 2024.3.25/12.3.6 how getting to FSD 12.4 if in 2024.9 base code? 2024.3 to 2024.14 sticking with 12.3.6 and then the next steps to 2024.? with FSD 12.4? 2024.15 will bring us all together? spring plus FSD 12.4
A few people will get 2024.9 then when FSD moves to 12.4.2 or 3 it will probably be on the spring update

Last edited: