Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not using FSD anymore until I get 4.2, everyone join me
Ok, I agree to boycott FSD, at least tomorrow. In fact I won't drive my Tesla at all tomorrow and that will teach Elon a lesson. 🤔 🤣

IMG_5223.jpeg

From the SAE document: (https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/54/02/2d5919914cfe9549e79721b12e66/j3016-202104.pdf)

(some paraphrasing done for brevity)

Essentially they require the fallback user be available to take over "within sufficient time to respond appropriately" but make no comment as to what that time frame is. They also talk about the user being 'receptive to evident system failures" that the system may not recognize yet include remote control as an acceptable means of fallback support meaning the fallback user would have no way of knowing about such system failures.

Basically, the '10 seconds' everyone keeps citing here is a completely made up number and the SAE document itself is a bit contradictory as to what the requirements are. Of note, there is no mention of driver monitoring or of what kinds of activities may or may not be appropriate.
I laughed at this. No it's not made up. It's literally in the UNECE regulation standard for ALKS (AKA L3):

"ALKS’s standard safety concept defines a 10 seconds transition period so that human driver must remain able to respond to a system request so that the human driver assume control of the vehicle when driving system do not do it anymore"

Also what Mercedes explicitly uses as I quoted up thread. That period was not randomly chosen, it was because the regulation that the EU follow a calls for it.

"the buttons in the steering wheel rim turn red, the vehicle requests the driver to retake control within ten seconds."

As I noted multiple times upthread, SAE doesn't use 10 seconds, what they use is "at least several seconds" (J3016 3.12 Note 3; 3.17 Example 2)

In case you don't believe the source posted, I checked and it's right there in page 11 of the PDF document you posted!
"NOTE 3: At Level 3, an ADS is capable of continuing to perform the DDT for at least several seconds after providing the fallback-ready user with a request to intervene. The DDT fallback-ready user is then expected to resume manual vehicle operation, or to achieve a minimal risk condition if s/he determines it to be necessary. "

Last edited:
So anyway... has anyone on 12.3.6 with 2024.20.3 having any issues with turn signals either not being used or turning off only after a few seconds before the car even reaches the turn? My Model Y RWD is doing it almost all the time and even if I manually turn them back on, it will even turn them right back off.

I've tried rebooting the car (twice) and though I can't imagine the whole recalibrating the cameras thing would matter, I'm almost to that point.

Last edited:
Just noticed something with the new spring update. I have HW3 (Intel Atom), and when FSDS engages, I get the full screen visualizations (I have that enabled), and starting to enjoy it. The upper right has a small ghosted version of the map, with traffic information in it, as I'd expect. However, when I disengage FSDS, the ghosted map in the upper corner loses traffic info.

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm sure it's just a bug that'll get fixed, but wasn't sure if it was something to do with the older Intel Atom vs newer Ryzen MCUs.

So anyway... has anyone on 12.3.6 with 2024.20.3 having any issues with turn signals either not being used or turning off only after a few seconds before the car even reaches the turn? My Model Y RWD is doing it almost all the time and even if I manually turn them back on, it will even turn them right back off.

I've tried rebooting the car (twice) and though I can't imagine the whole recalibrating the cameras thing would matter, I'm almost to that point.
The only time I've experienced no turn signals is when I engage FSDS while in a turn lane. But if I engage outside the turn lane, I always get turn signals for upcoming turns.

My car changed lanes once without using turn signal

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
The only time I've experienced no turn signals is when I engage FSDS while in a turn lane. But if I engage outside the turn lane, I always get turn signals for upcoming turns.
Yeah this is just on regular two lane roads turning left or right onto another two lane road. Happens probably 80% of turns. It actually started doing this on my last week of the one month trial on 2024.14.9. I decided to subscribe for a month or two for the summer months, thinking that perhaps now that I was on 20.3 they might have slipped in some kind of fix. Nope.

I was quite confused by the SAE wording for a while, as it seemed to me that L3 should allow catnaps because I'm pretty sure I could be awake and competent to take over within about 3 seconds of being alerted to do so, even if asleep initially. But I respect the "no sleeping" rule for L3 now, it would be just too potentially messy otherwise.
I highly doubt this. Extensive studies have been done on this. Generally novice drivers take about 8 seconds to regain situational awareness, experienced drivers around 6 seconds. This is from being awake and doing activities where you still have peripheral vision.

That's probably why the UN standard settled at 10 seconds.

When asleep, the time should be longer, not shorter, because you need to add the time for you to perceive the alarm, open your eyes (maybe rub them to clear them up), eyes readjust to brightness, then gain some peripheral context. Unless you received special forces training or you are an exceptionally focused person, I doubt someone can respond/regain situational awareness in 10 seconds or less from sleep, certainly not an average person.

This is putting aside people may not want to wake up (how many people can claim they never hit the snooze button or let the alarm ring a bit longer).

Last edited:
Like everyone else I'm still tooling around on 12.3.6 and my wife has zero problems riding in the car. (This is the first version she has not complained about.)

Mine has become much more tolerant of it with 12.3.6, but she's still not super-happy about it. She especially complains about it missing potholes near certain corners, and the sometimes excessive acceleration taking off from stop signs in low-speed-limit areas. I still get a lot of "I wish you would just drive the car yourself", but she's allowing a lot more miles to happen while she's riding. With previous versions, it had got to the point where I would almost never engage FSDb with her in the car, because it wasn't worth the verbal assault.

It’s NOT exponential, but that’s a big word for 99% of the population and it really SOUNDS compelling… if one doesn’t recognize this is a Musk pattern of communication, they haven’t been watching for years. It’s pretty obvious when he throws out acronyms, or unusual combinations or words, or big sounding words - it’s not intelligent, inciteful or, more specific or more accurate, it’s meant to convey in some simple way to surrounding parties - I know more about what Im talking about and for that matter anything, than YOU do - and that puts 99% of the population on the defensive to not ask any qualifying or quantifying questions, so it just lies there. It’s a tactic, and nothing more..
While this is a possibility - in this particular case I think Elon has a (atleast had a) naive view of AI training.

This is the reason he repeatedly talks about Alpha Go and how it took forever for it figure out basic moves but got very good very quickly after that. In other words, he does this AI progresses rapidly ... "exponentially".

In the case of Autonomous Driving we have so no evidence for that ... and yet, he continues to behave as if he truly believes in that. I think, even though its an act, at some basic level he does believe it to be true.

Applaud the effort but you didn’t Really think you would sway or win a debate with the Subie? The Alan Subie System (ASS) is designed to wear down any alternate view not his own. You tried, as many have before you so there’s that!
Applaud the effort but you didn’t Really think you would sway or win a debate with the Subie? The Alan Subie System (ASS) is designed to wear down any alternate view not his own. You tried, as many have before you so there’s that!

I mean who talks this way besides Alan? :) What in the world does decades of support mean when people drive so differently?
"This is objective, quantifiable, decades of support, well established limits for human comfort"

I mean who talks this way besides Alan? :) What in the world does decades of support mean when people drive so differently?
"This is objective, quantifiable, decades of support, well established limits for human comfort"
I think my favorite is when someone says the slowing/stopping is smooth for them, and they're told "no, it's not smooth, look at the regen bar". I just imagine someone in the car, the car is slowing/stopping and they think "wow, this is pretty smooth, I like it", then they look at the regen bar and change their mind "oh wait, it's not smooth, I clearly must have been wrong". 😁

It's like someone walking into a room and saying "it's kinda warm in here", and then you point them to the thermostat and say "look at the gauge, it's perfectly comfortable". And they say "oh, you're right, it is perfectly comfortable - I'm wrong, it's not warm in here".

I’m
Anyone have a sketch or diagram of an inline V6?
Silly bear, it's just two of V6 laid out in a row.
Which is how we get V12 End-to-End!
This info comes from the Tesla Institute of Technology
Not what you asked for, but here is a photo of a V12.

Allison_V-1710-7_V-12_Engine_NASM.jpg

This was in a Mustang. No not the car, the P51 airplane.

This V12 was very smooth, and wouldn't disengage - unless shot down.

Mine has become much more tolerant of it with 12.3.6, but she's still not super-happy about it. She especially complains about it missing potholes near certain corners, and the sometimes excessive acceleration taking off from stop signs in low-speed-limit areas. I still get a lot of "I wish you would just drive the car yourself", but she's allowing a lot more miles to happen while she's riding. With previous versions, it had got to the point where I would almost never engage FSDb with her in the car, because it wasn't worth the verbal assault.
My SO gets spooked when I disengage by turning the steering wheel. That always causes at least at quick swerve - even if very brief, it is the jerk that startles her. So I always try to disengage with the stalk instead.

I think that FSD/AP should not disengage from torque, but rather should let torque overpower the AP. This would be an intervention, rather than a disengagement, like the accelerator does now. I think this would help with FSD comfort and acceptance, by allowing small corrections rather than abrupt jerks. But I'm not Elon, so my vote doesn't count.

Yes, UNECE decided that 10 seconds is the minimum number. It seems like enough time to regain situational awareness. If it's not then it will change, just like speed limits.
It's the minimum number before the system starts a "minimum risk maneuver" (i.e. turns on the hazards and pulls over or stops) They do not list a maximum so saying "you need to respond within 10 seconds" is not accurate.