Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSDb-Induced Road Rage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone had and FSDb action cause some road rage?

My car recently went into the passing lane despite a faraway but fast-approaching vehicle. The guy tailgated me like crazy holding the horn down until I had an opportunity to change out of the lane.
I'd say that's a pretty common scenario.

I try to cancel it to be polite but the other driver isn't entitled to be the sole occupant of the passing lane.

Assuming no extenuating circumstances (e.g. you were driving below the limit) the only one in the wrong was the driver that needs to remember roads are shared public spaces.

Assuming no extenuating circumstances (e.g. you were driving below the limit) the only one in the wrong was the driver that needs to remember roads are shared public spaces.
People with road rage are always in the ones that are wrong - but they are not always the ones who suffer most. So, have to be careful.

My car recently went into the passing lane despite a faraway but fast-approaching vehicle.
If I noticed that, I'd cancel the lane change. What mode do you drive in ?

Reactions: MitchMitch and DJT1
I've had people try to go around me in the right lane while AP is following another car in front of me too far back. They think I'm dawdling, but it's just the paranoid following distance the system has since they took away radar. I guess you could call that some form of road rage, though I haven't gotten a finger or a horn.

I've had people try to go around me in the right lane while AP is following another car in front of me too far back. They think I'm dawdling, but it's just the paranoid following distance the system has since they took away radar. I guess you could call that some form of road rage, though I haven't gotten a finger or a horn.
I always drive with a good distance to the car in front - manual or FSD (I use max following distance). Never had any problems. If someone cuts in, I just fall a little back. I don't mind going a few seconds later in exchange for peace of mind ;)

there used to be a setting in autopilot for changing lanes out of the fast lane when not passing a vehicle. The above scenario as about to happen to me this weekend, and I realized that button no longer exists with the single stack FSDb

there used to be a setting in autopilot for changing lanes out of the fast lane when not passing a vehicle. The above scenario as about to happen to me this weekend, and I realized that button no longer exists with the single stack FSDb
Actually I think it's only half disabled. If you are in the passing lane, a slower lane is available, AND you have a vehicle fairly close behind you - FSDb will move out of the passing lane.

Still seriously broken.

Reactions: APotatoGod
hey as long as i'm already going 15 to 20 over the posted speed limit i could care less what the idiot behind me thinks. that being said, i've found 11.3.6 to be pretty good about exiting the left lane when it's able to do so safely. just remember that most ppl have no idea what they are doing and are probably a few cards short of a full deck due to their crap diet/lifestyle.

hey as long as i'm already going 15 to 20 over the posted speed limit i could care less what the idiot behind me thinks. that being said, i've found 11.3.6 to be pretty good about exiting the left lane when it's able to do so safely. just remember that most ppl have no idea what they are doing and are probably a few cards short of a full deck due to their crap diet/lifestyle.
I think it's time again for a revisit of George Carlin's classic:

Anyone had and FSDb action cause some road rage?

My car recently went into the passing lane despite a faraway but fast-approaching vehicle. The guy tailgated me like crazy holding the horn down until I had an opportunity to change out of the lane.
Yep. It's a concern for thoughtful drivers. At some point time runs out and you cross paths with the wrong character. It will be a heck of a challenge for FSD to strike the right balance of assertiveness and safety.

As I wrote about in another thread, I had a phantom braking incident on the Interstate at speed (10.69.25.2, I think) where I quickly intervened and hit the accelerator, but the guy behind me was tailgating and not paying attention and then all of a sudden he saw brake lights and locked his up sending the car into a fishtail. Luckily he didn't crash, but he wasn't happy. I think he thought I was brake-checking him.

As I wrote about in another thread, I had a phantom braking incident on the Interstate at speed (10.69.25.2, I think) where I quickly intervened and hit the accelerator, but the guy behind me was tailgating and not paying attention and then all of a sudden he saw brake lights and locked his up sending the car into a fishtail. Luckily he didn't crash, but he wasn't happy. I think he thought I was brake-checking him.
This exact thing just happened to me on cruise control at 75 mph with a braking down to 60 mph with a tailgater that I did not see in the right lane - good thing I recognized that a road rage reaction was about to happen to me in retaliation. As I was trying to right the ship, the other driver ( a diesel truck of course) pulled alongside for a long time. I had to keep my eyes ahead to not inflame the aggressor. He then cut directly in front of me, slammed on his own brakes for good measure, then coal-rolled away. Fortunately I was aware of the consequences, and was on the defensive, slowing down. Bad situation, but it could have been much worse.