Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full matrix headlight functionality just approved by NHTSA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full matrix headlight functionality has just been approved by NHTSA!

I’m very excited to see this approved. Can’t wait for the updates.

A0591F1A-B737-4044-93E7-158700842EC7.jpeg

(“20191122-tesla-Cybertruck-driving-lightbar” by Kruzat is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the P models are a waste of money for most drivers. Even the LR is very quick and in an EV you probably want to do most of your braking with regen anyways, negating much of the value of better brakes. It's just that the EPA rated range/efficiency difference is really only from the wheels+tires which are trivial to change, so that's not a reason to avoid the P.

I'm out of mainstream and I gladly spent the money for an M3P, and probably would've for an MYP if I had gone with a Y. But that's just me. 😁
A lot of the times, we would have paid for an AMG, M, or GT badge ;)

I think the P models are a waste of money for most drivers. Even the LR is very quick and in an EV you probably want to do most of your braking with regen anyways, negating much of the value of better brakes. It's just that the EPA rated range/efficiency difference is really only from the wheels+tires which are trivial to change, so that's not a reason to avoid the P.

I'm out of mainstream and I gladly spent the money for an M3P, and probably would've for an MYP if I had gone with a Y. But that's just me. 😁
I certainly agree with most of what was said here. What's crazy is how many people even care about 0-60 times.. now that EVs are expected to have quick acceleration. Our last two vehicles did 0-60 in the 7-second range and it was more than enough power for pretty much anything we'd do on a public road. Our new vehicles are both EVs and 0-60 in the low 5-second range.. and I'd say for like 99% of usage we drive them exactly the same.

That said who doesn't like driving a faster car? It's just flat-out more fun. Or flat-out scary when you bury the pedal to the floor. If I was someone ordering a brand new MYLR and paying an extra $2000 for the big black wheels.. and even considering the $2000 acceleration unlock.. it just makes more sense to get the MYP instead. In addition to the quicker delivery, the headlights are probably worth it alone should Tesla fully enable the smart adaptive features.

I do also agree with what the other guy pointed out. As I think carbon fiber spoilers, aluminum pedals, and red brake calipers look a bit silly on a car like Model Y.. even if it's the "Performance" model. For those who are unaware.. the front rotors (which are like 75% of your actual stopping power) are EXACTLY the same size on the MYP as they are on the MYLR. The only difference is on the MYP is they are painted red.. which itself is laughable. The rear calipers are the ones made larger, and this done is mainly for aesthetics.

I'm also glad more people are realizing just how bad the super heavy 21" Ultraturbines are. Because they weigh almost 40lbs each, changing those wheels to practically anything else (including the factory 19" Geminis or 20" Inductions but especially some lightweight forged wheels 19" or 20" wheels), you will find that the MYP performs much better all around. It will be significantly faster (0-60 drops as low as 3.2 seconds).. and range, efficiency, handling, and braking will all also improve thanks to the 40lbs loss of unsprung weight and rotating mass.

If I can trade my MYSR + $10K for an Austin built MYP with 4680 cells.. then I'll have a 2022 MYP before the end of the year :)

@Daekwan Are the MYP front brakes identical to MYLR, except for red caliper paint? Or are the rotors and pads at least better in some fashion? (e.g. two-piece rotors, higher performance pads)

I tested MYLR, M3LR, M3P but never tested MYP. The M3P brakes are legit better than M3LR brakes, you can really feel the difference in bite and by all accounts every part of them holds up to hard driving better (calipers, rotors, and pads). I've been assuming MYP brakes are similarly improved over MYLR but now I'm questioning that! It's kind of annoying that Tesla publishes so few real specifications compared to pretty much any other automaker.

Story time...when we bought our Model S Tesla had a $500 option for red brakes. Literally, $500 to have the calipers painted red instead of black, no other difference. Guess which color our S calipers are? 😆 (Black, thank you. Actually we bought the car used from a private seller, but still would have skipped the red caliper paint if we had bought new.)

Reactions: WhiteWi
@Daekwan Are the MYP front brakes identical to MYLR, except for red caliper paint? Or are the rotors and pads at least better in some fashion? (e.g. two-piece rotors, higher performance pads)

I tested MYLR, M3LR, M3P but never tested MYP. The M3P brakes are legit better than M3LR brakes, you can really feel the difference in bite and by all accounts every part of them holds up to hard driving better (calipers, rotors, and pads). I've been assuming MYP brakes are similarly improved over MYLR but now I'm questioning that! It's kind of annoying that Tesla publishes so few real specifications compared to pretty much any other automaker.

Story time...when we bought our Model S Tesla had a $500 option for red brakes. Literally, $500 to have the calipers painted red instead of black, no other difference. Guess which color our S calipers are? 😆 (Black, thank you. Actually we bought the car used from a private seller, but still would have skipped the red caliper paint if we had bought new.)
From everything I've read they are identical. And you are right! Tesla does make the information extremely hard to locate. Someone else pointed out the actual differences to me, which is why Im also sharing them with others. I was certainly disappointed to find out the only difference in the front calipers is the paint.

And yeah dont feel bad lol. Been there done that on a few cars. My first car in college was 1992 Accord that I personally painted the calipers yellow lol. And for years I was jealous that my C6 Corvette only came with the bare metal calipers. Im pretty sure Corvette now also offers the same option of painting the calipers red, black, silver, blue, yellow OR even matching the body color for an extra $1000. Its absolutely amazing companies would charge so much money for paint. For a $500 you can change the actual pads & rotors on pretty much any production car to have alot of bite and real measurable improvements to braking.

Reactions: tm1v2
Porsche charges $900 to change the red calipers to black... 9k if you want upgraded yellow ones

Porsche charges $900 to change the red calipers to black... 9k if you want upgraded yellow ones
One automaker's base trim is another's upgrade. Remember when base model economy cars came with black mirrors, trim, etc and you had to buy a higher trim level to get matching paint or shiny chrome trim? Now I see luxury automakers charging extra for black mirrors and trim! Because it looks sportier or something. I guess black is the new black... okay maybe that's fair. :)

One automaker's base trim is another's upgrade. Remember when base model economy cars came with black mirrors, trim, etc and you had to buy a higher trim level to get matching paint or shiny chrome trim? Now I see luxury automakers charging extra for black mirrors and trim! Because it looks sportier or something. I guess black is the new black... okay maybe that's fair. :)
I paid for the "night package" on my wife's car :D

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
I certainly agree with most of what was said here. What's crazy is how many people even care about 0-60 times.. now that EVs are expected to have quick acceleration. Our last two vehicles did 0-60 in the 7-second range and it was more than enough power for pretty much anything we'd do on a public road. Our new vehicles are both EVs and 0-60 in the low 5-second range.. and I'd say for like 99% of usage we drive them exactly the same.

That said who doesn't like driving a faster car? It's just flat-out more fun. Or flat-out scary when you bury the pedal to the floor. If I was someone ordering a brand new MYLR and paying an extra $2000 for the big black wheels.. and even considering the $2000 acceleration unlock.. it just makes more sense to get the MYP instead. In addition to the quicker delivery, the headlights are probably worth it alone should Tesla fully enable the smart adaptive features.

I do also agree with what the other guy pointed out. As I think carbon fiber spoilers, aluminum pedals, and red brake calipers look a bit silly on a car like Model Y.. even if it's the "Performance" model. For those who are unaware.. the front rotors (which are like 75% of your actual stopping power) are EXACTLY the same size on the MYP as they are on the MYLR. The only difference is on the MYP is they are painted red.. which itself is laughable. The rear calipers are the ones made larger, and this done is mainly for aesthetics.

I'm also glad more people are realizing just how bad the super heavy 21" Ultraturbines are. Because they weigh almost 40lbs each, changing those wheels to practically anything else (including the factory 19" Geminis or 20" Inductions but especially some lightweight forged wheels 19" or 20" wheels), you will find that the MYP performs much better all around. It will be significantly faster (0-60 drops as low as 3.2 seconds).. and range, efficiency, handling, and braking will all also improve thanks to the 40lbs loss of unsprung weight and rotating mass.

If I can trade my MYSR + $10K for an Austin built MYP with 4680 cells.. then I'll have a 2022 MYP before the end of the year :)

I have a 21 MYP and my wife has a 21 MYLR, both August of 21 builds. I owned two Model 3's prior, a SR+ and a LR. I have a few friends in older and refresh S's as well. I state this as I know the feel of Teslas pretty well.

The brakes on the MYP are definitely better, and different from the LR. Rotors or not, the P's brakes are great. The ride height is also lower on the P and the suspension is quite stiffer, and the overall ride is more "sporty" like. When I drive my wife's LR, its like night and day to me, personally. The MYP is a "funner" ride. That being said, its a smaller SUV. Its not an S Plaid feel, at all. 99% would be quite happy with a LR. Me? I will always go for a P now that Ive owned both. Headlights are an added bonus.

As for the spoiler. Hated it. Took the CF off, and put a matte black on, after getting the P fully XPEL Stealth wrapped. New 20's as well with all seasons. I personally think my MYP is amazing looking, and sitting next to my wifes standard looking LR, is much better. Everyone compliments it, and funny thing, the red calipers are what most say they like first. Go figure! I feel the T E S L A and all around matte black badging makes it complete as well. The T just looks funny in chrome on the back to me.

IMG_0044.jpeg

I have a 21 MYP and my wife has a 21 MYLR, both August of 21 builds. I owned two Model 3's prior, a SR+ and a LR. I have a few friends in older and refresh S's as well. I state this as I know the feel of Teslas pretty well.

The brakes on the MYP are definitely better, and different from the LR. Rotors or not, the P's brakes are great. The ride height is also lower on the P and the suspension is quite stiffer, and the overall ride is more "sporty" like.

View attachment 772896
I own more Model 3's than is sensible. I dabbled with a few Model Y's for a few weeks, and ended up with another 3 instead (don't ask why, I don't know). Additionally, a lot of information is on Tesla's EPC catalog.

The Base brakes on the Y are the same on the front axle as the Performance brakes, the only difference being the Performance has a red caliper. The calipers and rotors are physically exactly the same. The rear rotors on the Y are the same on both. The Performance does have the upgraded rear calipers, and the base has the standard rear calipers (same as 3).

Check out the post above. This has already been discussed a few times.

The front brakes are exactly the same on the MYLR & MYP.. calipers, rotors, everything. The only difference is they are painted red. The difference on the rear is that calipers are physically larger and painted red.

As for why the MYP feels like it brakes better (or probably does actually brake better), you already answered it. The MYP is lowered and the suspension is stiffer. I'm sure the wider wheels & tires also help with braking.. as the tire's contact patch is the only thing physically touching the ground.

By the way, I love your car! Especially the wheels. Did your wh/mi efficiency go up or down when you changed to the lightweight wheels? I'm guessing you went with a 20" squared setup. I'm looking to do the same if I get a 2022 MYP.. first thing I'm doing is pulling those heavy 21" Ultraturbines off and selling them! Hoping to go 20x10 squared with 275/40R20 Michelin Pilot A/S4's all around.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Check out the post above. This has already been discussed a few times.

The front brakes are exactly the same on the MYLR & MYP.. calipers, rotors, everything. The only difference is they are painted red. The difference on the rear is that calipers are physically larger and painted red.

As for why the MYP feels like it brakes better (or probably does actually brake better), you already answered it. The MYP is lowered and the suspension is stiffer. I'm sure the wider wheels & tires also help with braking.. as the tire's contact patch is the only thing physically touching the ground.

By the way, I love your car! Especially the wheels. Did your wh/mi efficiency go up or down when you changed to the lightweight wheels? I'm guessing you went with a 20" squared setup. I'm looking to do the same if I get a 2022 MYP.. first thing I'm doing is pulling those heavy 21" Ultraturbines off and selling them! Hoping to go 20x10 squared with 275/40R20 Michelin Pilot A/S4's all around.

I believe the rear brakes are Bembo on the P. Ive taken the wheels and calipers off both my Y's and the Ps brakes are noticeably larger in the rear. Maybe its a late 21 on thing? Not sure.

Thanks for the compliment! I did go 20" squared. It was seriously the first thing I did after getting my P. I highly recommend doing so as you said it, those Ubers are heavy! Im getting a good 5% better efficiently with these wheels. Also, I have a 10" sub in my sub trunk. Does zero to the battery.

Wheels definitely are a major part of getting good efficiency. For sure.

Reactions: Daekwan
Thanks for the compliment! I did go 20" squared. It was seriously the first thing I did after getting my P. I highly recommend doing so as you said it, those Ubers are heavy! Im getting a good 5% better efficiently with these wheels. Also, I have a 10" sub in my sub trunk. Does zero to the battery.

All Im waiting for is confirmation that Austin is building new MYP's with the 4680 structured battery pack. As soon as that happens.. I'm clicking the order button.. and putting my Y up for sale!

Thanks for confirmation on the 20" squared setup. I'm doing exactly what you said. Taking the heavy 21's and selling the entire setup brand new.. and putting on the new 20" squared setup as soon as I get the car home. Already know exactly which wheel & tire setup Im going with!

Includes

• 4x 20x10" Wheels
  • 4x 255/40-20 Tires or 275/40-20 Tires (extra wide)
  • 4x T Sportline Wheel Center Caps
  • 4x Tesla Factory Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor (TPMS)
  • No additional hardware required. Use your factory lug nuts!

Specifications (Fits All Tesla Model Y Variants)

• Size: 20x10"
  • Offset: +40
  • Bolt Pattern (PCD): 5x114.3
  • Center Bore: 64.1
  • Construction: Flow Forged
  • Weight: 29.8 lbs
  • Load Rating: 900 kg/1,980 lbs
  • Tire Size: 275/40-20 (aids in wheel protection)
  • Colors: Satin Black
  • Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 Tire

Reactions: JaeTheDev