Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full matrix headlight functionality just approved by NHTSA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Full matrix headlight functionality has just been approved by NHTSA!

I’m very excited to see this approved. Can’t wait for the updates.

A0591F1A-B737-4044-93E7-158700842EC7.jpeg

(“20191122-tesla-Cybertruck-driving-lightbar” by Kruzat is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.)

Last edited by a moderator:
…the MYP performs much better all around. It will be significantly faster (0-60 drops as low as 3.2 seconds).. and range, efficiency, handling, and braking will all also improve…
While there are a lot of benefits for sure, a 21” tire with larger contact patch and shorter/stiffer sidewall will ALWAYS handle better than the same tire in 19” or 20”.

Last edited:
Yes this. Put the same wheels and tires on an LR and a P and they'll have basically identical efficiency if driven the same. This is true for MYP vs MYLR and M3P vs M3LR. Obviously a P will be capable of draining the battery quicker when using its extra power of course. :)

@HellsKitchen Saving money is a perfectly good reason to get an LR! Range isn't though, you can achieve the same range/efficiency with either.
Maybe save in absolute $, but at only $5K premium, the P is a screaming bargain. You can easily spend $5K on the wheels, accel boost, and spoiler, yet the P offers so much more. Even though the P was closer to $10K premium when I bought, I would have pulled the trigger knowing what I know now about perf, range and other goodies like the matrix headlights.

While there are a lot of benefits for sure, a 21” tire with larger contact patch and shorter/stiffer sidewall will ALWAYS handle better than the same tire in 19” or 20”.
Contact patch is the same. It doesn't change if you have 19" or 21" wheels as long as overall diameter and tire width is the same. Too large sidewall could collapse during hard cornering and can make steering feel more numb, but tiny sidewall doesn't offer real advantages. Check what tires people use when they race their cars. Huge wheels are popular mostly for looks.

Last edited:
Contact patch is the same. It doesn't change if you have 19" or 21" wheels as long as overall diameter and tire width is the same. Too large sidewall could collapse during hard cornering and can make steering feel more numb, but tiny sidewall doesn't offer real advantages. Check what tires people use when they race their cars. Huge wheels are popular mostly for looks.
Thank you for correcting him.

Its amazing how many people simply equate larger with better. Reality is the biggest reason to go 21" wheels is looks, not performance.

My '14 Grand Cherokee has auto dim headlights for oncoming traffic and it works flawlessly. It's actually a really nice option.

This is a completely different technology than auto high beams, which all Model 3 and Model Y already have.

This video from BMW shows how this kind of technology works, although the Tesla implementation will be better.

The technology has never been legal in the US until recently, but it's quite familiar to people who have driven very high end BMW/Audi/Lexus cars that have it in Europe or Japan where it has existed for at least ten years.

My '14 Grand Cherokee has auto dim headlights for oncoming traffic and it works flawlessly. It's actually a really nice option but certainly not as specific as this option.
Because it uses a dedicated sensor. The common theme with Tesla.. is less dedicated sensors.. more software recognition based on the cameras. Its the same reason why things like the auto-wipers are so wonky. A $5 rain sensor would have solved the auto wiper issue a decade ago.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
I wonder what's tesla's reasoning for not including matrix lighting in North American produced MYLR? Or why retrofitting them is not possible? Are the brackets and wiring different? I do see matrix headlights available on ebay. Has no one seriously tried to do it?

Huge wheels were installed on racing cars to allow additional diameter to fit larger braking systems. People putting them on street cars are mostly posers.

I wonder what's tesla's reasoning for not including matrix lighting in North American produced MYLR? Or why retrofitting them is not possible? Are the brackets and wiring different? I do see matrix headlights available on ebay. Has no one seriously tried to do it?
I think Tesla may be looking for more extras to differentiate the P and the LR. I think that there just aren't a lot of people who feel a faster 0-60 time is worth the extra 10k, especially if you have to give up range.