Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funniest Tesla Question Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a work colleague more inclined to dumb assertions than dumb questions.

He says that it wouldn't do if we all had electric cars because the power grid would fail when we all got home from work and plugged in. (In truth peek grid demand is early evening.)

I explained that mine doesn't start charging until midnight.

• Love
Reactions: StealthP3D
I don't know... I hear Seattle's the worst. I experienced Seattle. I regretted Seattle. Seattle exists as a scar on my driving experiences. Seattle, man.

I'll pay the thread tax and be on topic, I actually recall one I used to get a lot.

"You can drink more since your car will drive you home, right?"

Hell. No.

It was after one of these statements that the CEO of a company I used to work for proceeded to explain he and his brother would get drunk and then use AutoPilot as much as possible to get home... I'm not sure why I didn't say more in protest.

I think L.A. has the high honor of having the worst traffic, simply by the numbers;

L.A. population: 4 Million
Toronto: 2.93 Million
Seattle: 724,745

At this link citing a 2018 statistic, L.A. is rated as the second highest traffic in North America, behind Mexico City. Toronto and Seattle are ranked 7th and 8th, respectively.

Most traffic jam prone cities in the North America 2018 | Statista

Then again, I found a link where Toronto was rated the worst and another where Boston was worst. Could be that these populations overwhelm the road system more than L.A.'s driving population overwhelms our huge freeways.

A 2019 Forbes article shows studies ranking L.A. 5th and Seattle 6th (some of these stats only cite U.S. cites).

I guess one way to know for sure is to experience each one yourself and see what the real-world situation is. Despite it's way lower population, Seattle seems to figure pretty badly in traffic rating stats too. Could be that Seattle has outgrown its freeway system more than L.A. has outgrown its freeways. Plus, a lot of people have been leaving CA. Enough to make a difference with traffic? Not sure.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="

I was so stunned by her question that I couldn't come up with a sarcastic response for ten seconds. In the meantime everyone in the office laughed her out of the room. She walked out in tears but I think it was deserved.

[/QUOTE]

It's no wonder some people love tesla owners so much. We are kind and not assholes.

My son asked me today if it was more dangerous to be in the Tesla during a lightning storm. He's 8, so I took it as a good opportunity to try and explain some concepts around high voltage electricity.

I have been asked the 'does it charge the battery while driving' question. It's not really dumb, just people trying to understand a very different paradigm than what we have. I love the questions, because it lets me have a deeper conversation with people.

The transmission question is valid, though. We do have transmissions, BTW, so don't get too uppity. I believe it's a 9:1 reduction ratio, which is why the torque is so extreme. Porsche actually has a 2 speed tranny in theirs, I believe.

The gear box would also have to perform the same function as a differential, allowing one wheel to be ahead/behind the other to allow cornering.

It's no wonder some people love tesla owners so much. We are kind and not assholes.

Sadly it seems like Tesla owners have gotten the reputation of being some of the douchiest car owners out there, replacing BMW owners. Granted, not all of them are so bad, but it seems like the worst are some of the worst out there and give the rest a bad rep.

Me, I just try to be humble in everything, including my car purchases... but maybe I'm weird.

This is not a dumb question but rather a dumb answer--perhaps pop doesn't know the answer to this good and appropriate tech question?? The answer is that regenerative braking only recovers a fraction of what the motor uses up so the car would come to a stop before charging the battery enough to keep going.

The question is good and penetrates into the relevant tech. I don't know exactly what % a Tesla can recover but I doubt it is a whole lot different than a Prius that only recovers 8%
The proper answer is that the regenerative braking recovers a portion of the energy that previously was wasted by braking friction. And it's about 70% for all EVs and Prii, not 8%

I'm sure that all of you, like me, have received a laundry list of dumb questions about your car.
My typical list is:
Can you drive it in the snow? "It's a 4,000 lb AWD vehicle. What do you think?"
Did you know it can easily catch on fire?
What happens if the starter fails?
What happens if you run out of power?

Today I had a new award winner that takes the cake for me.
I buy 6 pizzas for my guys at work every Thursday. My Aunt works in the office for me. Usually she goes to pick up the pizza but since it was snowing I figured I'd go get it.
Of course she started off with "Oh you can drive it in the snow?'"
When I basically laughed at her about that question she responded with:
"Do Teslas have room in the cabin or the trunk for 6 pizzas?"

I was so stunned by her question that I couldn't come up with a sarcastic response for ten seconds. In the meantime everyone in the office laughed her out of the room. She walked out in tears but I think it was deserved.

Some of you must have some doozies. Please share!

I told my brother that I was reaching the point where my Model X had paid for itself in fuel savings (I have free supercharging), so he asked "What is that point?"
I said, "stand by, I'll calculate it." ..Okay smart..s, it's 835,000 miles!

• Funny
Reactions: 0ptions
I think L.A. has the high honor of having the worst traffic, simply by the numbers;

At this link citing a 2018 statistic, L.A. is rated as the second highest traffic in North America, behind Mexico City. Toronto and Seattle are ranked 7th and 8th, respectively.

Then again, I found a link where Toronto was rated the worst and another where Boston was worst. Could be that these populations overwhelm the road system more than L.A.'s driving population overwhelms our huge freeways.

A 2019 Forbes article shows studies ranking L.A. 5th and Seattle 6th (some of these stats only cite U.S. cites).

I guess one way to know for sure is to experience each one yourself and see what the real-world situation is. Despite it's way lower population, Seattle seems to figure pretty badly in traffic rating stats too. Could be that Seattle has outgrown its freeway system more than L.A. has outgrown its freeways. Plus, a lot of people have been leaving CA. Enough to make a difference with traffic? Not sure.
I've lived in Seattle for 40 years and also driven through LA a fair amount. I think LA has it beat on volume of cars and therefor the volume of delays. Seattle is pretty geographically and politically stuck with largely the same freeways as we had in the 50's. A few important spots like the I-90 bridge have been increased, but being able to get around the three large bodies of water nestled against a mountain range in a political climate increasingly hostile to cars (but not quick enough about creating a meaningful regional mass transit system) makes our small corner of the world feel remarkably congested during the daytime 7 days a week.
Surface streets in particular have become a real issue as the city has reduced road size for more pedestrian and bike safety. I agree with the premise of those changes, but there is nowhere for the cars to go and the transit system isn't up to the task.

I use my Tesla in my volunteer driving of cancer patients to treatment. So I am frequently talking to people who have never heard of Tesla or BEV's. I drove one women thee times before she finally asked, "Are you sure you never use gasoline."

Another told me she told other drivers their car was nice but Rick's will do everything for you but pick your nose and wipe your butt.

Someone asked me if my Tesla has a heater. I guess they assumed that since in an ICE car the heater works by pumping hot air generated by the engine, Teslas must not have a heater.

Another one was "How many batteries does it have?"

This may be a dumb question of a dumb question - but isn't 'how many batteries does it have' actually not a dumb question? I couldn't tell you off hand how many and how the battery modules are configured, and the answer really isn't one.

Having lived in both Toronto and LA I can state, unequivocally, that they both suck in a truly epic fashion.

Reactions: Spacep0d
How many batteries does it have?

"One battery with a few thousand cells inside. Kind of like the 12V battery in your car is one battery with six cells. Just a lot more cells for a lot more power."

I was a little put off by one person who asked...
"Your Chinese battery caught fire in that thing yet? I've heard those cars suck"

"Yeah, I worried about that before I got it. but then I found out that my old gas car is five times more likely to catch fire. 80% less fire risk than your car isn't too bad, and the batteries are made in Nevada by Americans."

Yes I had a guy in a Lowe's parking lot ask if it was a Tesla? I said yes. He followed with-What kind of mileage do you get? He was serious. He repeated angrily, "how many miles per gallon do you get?" I said none and walked away. He was getting angrier and angrier. And I was tired of dealing with him!!

"With my price of electricity, I've gone 2500 miles for $42. That'd be like 13 gallons of gas for 2500 miles, so just about 190 MPG if I used gas at all."

"do you need an extension cord.
have no idea how to answer that"

How about: "Well, in the 2014-15 cars they only included a 250 mile cord, but in the new cars, they gave us a 300 mile cord to use..."

"No, it's cordless."

Is it dangerous if the battery gets wet?

"Nope. The battery's inside where it doesn't get wet, and if it gets flooded, it completely disconnects like a circuit breaker."

Does it charge while driving?

"A little bit. It's like if a gas car used gas to go, then put some of the gas back in your tank when you're slowing down. But you go more than you slow down, so it still uses more than it puts back."

Does it take a long time to charge?

"I mostly charge it while I'm at home, so I spend like fifteen seconds plugging it in and unplugging it when I leave, and I always leave home with a full charge. On the road, it usually charges faster than my family can use the bathroom and eat, and if we're done first, we can watch Netflix movies or Youtube videos or play video games with a controller for the last few minutes while it finishes."

Does it drive okay in the snow?

"It's AWD and quite heavy and stable, so it is awesome in the snow."

Does it take forever to get moving onto the freeway?

"It does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. That's the same as a Chevy Camero, a Ford Mustang, and a Porsche Cayman GTS. You mostly have to spend twice as much or more on half as many doors to go faster than this."

Do you like it?

"We absolutely love it. It's fast. fun, super-safe, comfortable, not too expensive, and gets free upgrades all the time that make it even better."

The power plants that make the electricity still pollute!

"Yes, but they make much, much less pollution for the same amount of driving and they don't make that smoke here where you breathe. That's even when a smoky plant is involved at all. We have hydroelectric here."

People said they were ugly, but that isn't ugly! Why isn't it ugly?

"Because good looks are different to each person and not everybody has as good an eye as you do."

I thought those were really expensive? How can you afford it?
-It's a larger car payment, but smaller cost of ownership. I always get "divide by zero" looks when I tell them.

I also answer it
this way: my car cost $40,000. But I used to spend about $250 on gas and if I were paying for charging*, it would be about $60/month**. That savings makes it equivalent to a $27,000 car.
*My work installed a NEMA 14-50 for me so I don't pay for charging there. Charging at home is also free for me, and I haven't used all of my free SuC miles yet, so in 9,600 miles, I have paid a whopping total of $3.30 to charge.
**Not sure if this estimate is correct, but is close enough and works for the argument

Absolutely. Now, we're notorious for our traffic, sure, but man when it clears up our average speed is quite fast....easily 75-85mph in the 'fast' and HOV lanes.

I figure we spend so much time in traffic, that we're really not speeding since ON AVERAGE we keep it under the speed limit ;)