Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future of FSD after "traffic light & stop sign response" release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next FSD Early Access feature is dubbed "Go On Green". In other words, no confirmation required to travel through intersections.

Via this leaked email: https://i.imgur.com/KbWyATl.jpg . Word of caution, I've never seen an EAP email like this before, so take this rumor with a grain of salt.

No confirmation- if you're following another car (and aren't in a turn lane)

So kind of a half step I guess.

have seen this "confirmed" elsewhere FWIW from some twitter folks

The intermediary baby step of still requiring a lead car for "no confirmation on green" is obviously a precaution just in case the traffic light detection is not 100%. Tesla wants to prevent autopilot from blowing through a red light that it mistook for a green.

Handling intersections could very well be the most difficult feature that Tesla has tackled so far. Not just there are different types of intersections but there can be complex intersections with no middle lane lines, multiple lanes with different rules, traffic controls or no traffic controls and multiple objects moving in different directions.

For example:

intersection-roads-HPDFAM.jpg

I would not be surprised if Tesla releases "turning at intersections" in a very incremental way as well, maybe only releasing turns when in a turning lane first and requiring driver confirmation for every step of the way. It would make sense.

Wait a min...

So if you have standard autopilot your car already stops and goes at intersections if there is a lead vehicle.

If you buy FSD your car is now going to be updated to stoping and going at intersections if there is a lead vehicle.

So where is the update? This like returning functionality that everyone already has.

Wait a min...

So if you have standard autopilot your car already stops and goes at intersections if there is a lead vehicle.

If you buy FSD your car is now going to be updated to stoping and going at intersections if there is a lead vehicle.

So where is the update? This like returning functionality that everyone already has.

No. There is a difference.

If there is no lead car, standard AP will not stop at a red light. FSD will automatically stop at a red light even without any lead car.

Remember that standard AP is not responding to traffic lights. It is only following a lead car. FSD is now responding to traffic lights. It will automatically stop at red lights on its own without any lead car and go on green. It's just that the going on green requires a confirmation for safety which is slowly being removed as the system gets better.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve

If there is no lead car, standard AP will not stop at a red light. FSD will automatically stop at a red light even without any lead car.

Remember that standard AP is not responding to traffic lights. It is only following a lead car. FSD is now responding to traffic lights. It will automatically stop at red lights on its own without any lead car and go on green. It's just that the going on green requires a confirmation for safety which is slowly being removed as the system gets better.

Exactly. There is no functional difference between the stop / go "FSD function" at intersections with a lead vehicle. We have to remember, this isn't a feature, it's a test / development of a future feature.

So FSD

Green light it will stop
Red light it will stop
Lead vehicle it will follow

Autopilot

Green light it will go
Red light it will go

Feature wise I'd rather have autopilot in these situations it's a better drive... but I do understand why they are doing this. Eventually when they get rid of the stopping on green it's a dangerous leap.

I am sure there will be a crash where someone claims Tesla went through a red and Tesla claims they did it shortly after release.

So FSD

Green light it will stop
Red light it will stop

Autopilot

Green light it will go
Red light it will go

Feature wise I'd rather have autopilot in these situations it's a better drive... but I do understand why they are doing this. Eventually when they get rid of the stopping on green it's a dangerous leap.

To be more precise:

FSD
Green light it will stop - Yes unless the driver confirms with the stalk (or without confirmation if there is a lead vehicle - latest update).
Red light it will stop - Yes
Lead vehicle it will follow - Only if the light is green. It will not follow a lead vehicle through a red light.

Autopilot
Green light it will go - Yes
Red light it will go - Yes
Lead vehicle it will follow - Yes

Yes, it will go or follow the lead vehicle no matter what the traffic light color is.

So FSD

Green light it will stop
Red light it will stop

Autopilot

Green light it will go
Red light it will go

Almost.
FSD
Green light it will stop
Red light it will stop
Lead vehicle it will follow on green after stopping for a red (previously requiring confirmation to go)
Lead vehicle it will follow on approach if you confirm it with the stalk or accelerator

Karpathy says it in the most recent presentation. Essentially, Tesla can't release a feature until it's basically "done" for the entire population that might use it. So although it may take them a while to release turns, when they do, it's going to blow minds. Traffic control still blows my mind, especially since we haven't heard about any widespread issue.

Karpathy says it in the most recent presentation. Essentially, Tesla can't release a feature until it's basically "done" for the entire population that might use it. So although it may take them a while to release turns, when they do, it's going to blow minds. Traffic control still blows my mind, especially since we haven't heard about any widespread issue.

Yeah, when "making turns at intersections" is released, it will impress me. I am really looking forward to that feature. It is my most anticipated FSD feature.

I heard Tesla will soon release as lead car that FSD will GO on green, so you will not have to confirm. Not sure what else will be in update.

Yes, it is already being discussed in this thread and in the 2020.24.5 software thread. It is in early access only right now.

The update will also activate the side cameras when you are backing up and activate the cabin camera for safety. You can find more here: Tesla 2020.24.5 OTA Software Update Introduces Camera & Autopilot Improvements

So with "go on green with a lead car" in EA, any thoughts on where we will be by the end of this year?

I do think it is likely that we will see a beta "turning at intersections" with driver confirmation released by the end of this year. I think it will probably be an incremental step but I think Tesla will try to release some small part of "autosteer on city streets" by the end of this year.

So go on green is the only thing being released for the 1k FSD price increase? Kinda lame

As for turning on intersections, I agree. If they can release it by year end, it'll be an accomplishment. It's an incredibly difficult problem to solve reliably. Imagine the car doing turns when it's not in a turn lane, lol. Doing turns requires situational awareness not seen in any other machine learning application I've encountered.