Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

"And weekend shifts were mandatory."

Fremont runs 24/7

"Disruption of the Model S and X lines could threaten Tesla’s target of building 100,000 of those vehicles in 2018. Tesla built 49,489 of those cars in the first half of this year."

It will be extremely difficult to make up 511 Gen II cars over six months.

Gee, I wounder if all the anti-Tesla quotes came from the two dozen or so UAW plants saying a week ago that only ~200 or so Model 3s were being produced per shift.

Bolt sales are down in the USA, four months in a row. Apparently this is completely orchestrated by GM, via making less and less available here (and shipping them abroad); and not by falling demand.

Mercedes-Benz sales are down 9.7% in the USA, blamed on that one factory that was producing parts for a whole bunch of cars' dashboards etc.. Nothing to do with demand of course.

Can't wait to see the BMW 3-series sales figures for June.

A true capitalist (and Wall Street weeds out the non-true ones) has no conscience and cares not for revenge, only for profit.

I think the SP movement has more to do with the short sellers of more than 10 billion dollar of TSLA, who do not want to not lose that money.

Here is my latest conspiracy theory:

Deep pocketed entity accumulated shares over time to give slight but continuous upwards pressure, while selling calls that become even more attractive and premiums ballon. Then they wait for a moment where everybody expects it to go up even further, and sell even more calls, then start selling larger chunks of stock over time while buying back the calls whose premiums started imploding. For them the short-squeeze announcement of Elon would have been a boon.

Obviously I have no evidence of any of that, just thinking out loud :)

I just wrote an article on SA about burst target rates vs sustained target rates. I believe this is a burst rate based on internal emails. We should expect to see sustained rates in about 2 months. The 6k/wk burst rate next month will be sustained by end of Q3. Check it out. Let me know your thoughts. Tesla Closing In On Production Target - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

Tesla has never burst-rated for an entire week. Ridiculous. But thanks for giving more ammo to shorts and naysayers.

Reactions: Lhan and neroden
RE: short burn call.
I'm a lurker, rank investing amateur, but have my fist full of shares that won't be sold any time soon. I've been reading everyones ideas on what might cause the burn and like most cannot see a sure thing (ignoring obvious and impossibles like 10k a week, we only did half that LOL). What about an announcement by a mega player making a buy out offer (fake or not) to take TESLA private, at say $500 a share. Doesn't that basically put the share price at 500 overnight and send the shorts out of business?
Back under the rock for me :)

RE: short burn call.
I'm a lurker, rank investing amateur, but have my fist full of shares that won't be sold any time soon. I've been reading everyones ideas on what might cause the burn and like most cannot see a sure thing (ignoring obvious and impossibles like 10k a week, we only did half that LOL). What about an announcement by a mega player making a buy out offer (fake or not) to take TESLA private, at say $500 a share. Doesn't that basically put the share price at 500 overnight and send the shorts out of business?
Back under the rock for me :)

yeah i thought of that too and some friends and i talked about it, maybe becoming part of alphabet and giving elon and co full autonomy.

i mean, it’d be tough to get your board to approve anything with a high premium when tesla has several series of o/s debt. sounds unlikely

then again, i bet EM wishes he didn’t have to deal with analysts, stock price, and the rest of the circus. especially at a time like now when he looks like a complete fool for repeatedly taunting shorts, and then you look at the last few days performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Audi, Mercedes, and Lexus have released their June numbers. To update my chart (which for May used the actual #s for the other manufacturers and derived the Model 3 # from solving for x via the chart that Tesla tweeted), I used InsideEVs estimate for Model 3 (their estimate passes the sniff test for me). BMW hasn't yet announced their June US sales, so I filled the 3-series in with a repeat of May. Here's a stab at how the rest shake out for the time being (keep in mind that Model 3 is largely flat because a couple thousand were diverted to Canada). By my math, Model 3 remains the #1 seller in this class for June despite the Canadian Commotion™.

Model3June2018SalesChart.JPG

I find that people tend to tweet with less care than what they say in a professional setting, and often let more of their emotions filter through. For some professions, for example such as politicians, journalists, CEOs whose job descriptions involve public communication, it seems that they should be more restrained in their tweets, but doesn't seem like the case these days. I don't like what Dana tweeted, but I think trolling her back on twitter will just escalate the tension and make her tweets more defensive and less unbiased.

Which simply reveals true character. I want to see who people really are, not the public mask they wear. I don’t believe you when you show up for the first date all cleaned up and on your best behavior. I believe you when you’re having a bad hair day, your dog dies and your steak comes grey when you asked for rare.

Elon has always been true to character regardless of the pressure he’s under or the particular set of circumstances. That can’t be said of many others.

I don’t encourage bad behavior but I certainly believe one gets what they deserve.

Tesla has never burst-rated for an entire week. Ridiculous. But thanks for giving more ammo to shorts and naysayers.
Hard to deny the took out all the stops to get to 5000. Doesn’t mean it’s not sustainable, but process improvements are needed. Karpathy and every other exec will quit if they are working full time on GA4.
I’m confident rapid adjustment of ga3 and 4 and the paint system will get Tesla to 6000 by end of August, but they won’t get there with last weeks processes.

That’s okay. Shorts are making hay while they can. I would guess shorts will be over 42 million shorter after the last two days. I hate the down and the now more personal attacks on Elon, but hopefully this sets the shorts up for payback.

Reactions: AndreN
The so-called "independent board" including the "independent board members" get 50,000 shares each three times a year. There are 9 board members. On that schedule, every decade they pay out $5 billion to the board of directors, assuming the pay stays the same and stock price at $370. Elon Musk's portion is actually much higher than that.

As of right now, Tesla's debt problems would vanish if the board of directors returned that $5 billion and stopped taking 50,000 shares each three times a year. It's half a billion dollars a year, and for Q3Q4 that would make Tesla downright profitable, and they could even restart the Model Y, Tesla Semi, and the revamp programs for the existing models without having to scrape pennies. They would still need a decent management structure to make sure there isn't any overspending. I don't know how that works in a flat employee structure.

What did Doug Field really do?

I have been reading tweets from factory employees celebrating that they get rid of the "harassing" long-time employees. It sounds like a shakedown to me, moving citizens out to replace them all with foreigners. There's something fishy going on. Tesla used to be transparent and innovative, but now it just seems opaque.

I hope they continue the EV programs and do well, but Elon claiming to be worried about the factory all day every day seems false when he's busy having a party in Spain, and the little I do see going on at Tesla looks messed up. It seems floundering. Some sections work fairly right, such as their upcoming Energy division, but others just goof off, like the auto section. It fits my purchasing experience with my car. It also fits with me not getting my IR email July 2. I hope my shares find a way to become profitable enough to catch up with the progress the rest of the economy did.

What in the world are you talking about?

Reactions: Lhan
New article by Alex Roy, from The Drive:
How the Tesla Effect Is Hurting Tesla
I'm not particularly fond of him, but I think articles like these are very important for that particular audience that like cars but are annoyed by Musk celebrity and Tesla hype, bears VS bulls, etc.
Tesla makes better cars, and makes for a better car ecosystem: this should be a main talking point everytime.

Meh.

It’s a package deal. Everything was and still is necessary. There was no other way to force other OEM’s hands - and still they drag their feet like petulant children, no other way to make people sit up and take notice, no other way to let the ‘bad guys’ know that their time is up, no other way to sell the cars without a billion dollar ad campaign.

No other way.

And anyone who thinks differently doesn’t have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.