Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow you guys keep responding to trolls who are here to create chaos and earn something for each response.
Do you also give out money to panhandlers?
Best to walk on by and pretend they don't exist.
Give to one and there's a chance you'll be hounded by all of them.
Musk also ignored them for the most part, but now he has to respond. Many people are arriving here with not much info about Tesla and are on the fence. 'Reasonable'-sounding posts intended to sway people should be met head-on.

I decided to google "Linette Lopez" and read her bio on BusinessInsider. They listed a bunch of articles she wrote and one of them enticed me to read further: 3 VA employees were just indicted over charges they accepted bribes from the "Trump of Georgia's" pharmaceutical firm
In that article, Linette made this comment:
"When Business Insider wrote a story about this messy situation, Petit declined to address any of the specifics and instead took to calling me a "shill" in a colorful letter that you can find here. I do often speak to short sellers, and sometimes give air to their ideas when I think they're smart."

ValueAnalyst on Twitter

@tsrandall just revised his Weekly Model 3 Production Rate forecast to more than 5,000 for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th weeks of July. This forecast seems reasonable to me, and if @tsrandall is correct, the Model 3 production rate is more sustainable than many think. $TSLA

DhXNIvPUwAA0W2v.jpg:large
Nice! If this is the case, and I don't remember this tracker overestimating production in the past, then the analysts (and shorts) are in for a rude awakening just as Elon said. They have primarily focused on the 5k/week being a one week trick and not sustainable. They also focused on deliveries being low, but I think everyone knows what that is really about. No one who is honestly assessing Tesla can be concerned about those deliveries shifting to the first week of July instead of June. The cars are obviously headed to customers.

If Tesla sustains this 5k starting next week, the shorts are going to wish they had closed their positions on this dip no doubt. Obviously, they will slide the goalposts on to profitability, but this will be a HUGE dent in their current argument. The market was obviously ready to push TSLA to $360+ based upon 5,000/week production until the analysts and shorts hammered their argument that deliveries were low and the production isn't sustainable, just like the previous quarters. If this proves out next week and the week after, I would expect the stock to head right back up where it was going before all this nonsense. I'm hoping Tesla releases a statement about the tax credit situation soon.

Do you believe that your Tesla will be driving around in town in 24 years ?

I expect my Model S will probably be driveable in 24 years, though a lot of the gadgets might be broken and who knows what the regulatory environment will be like. It's an AP1 car and might not be legal to drive in a lot of places which might make it not very attractive to drive.

Some of the gadgets on the Buick went out over time. It had an early key fob remote, but still had keys too. The remote functions died after a few years and the fobs ended up in a drawer. The spring on the cassette eject got weak so I had to remove tapes with a pair of pliers. The last thing to go was the remote trunk release from inside the car. They were minor, the key elements needed to drive the car all worked. Those components are much simpler on a Model S, so I expect they will work fine for a long time to come.

I expect the batteries will give out eventually, though by the time they do, getting a refurbished battery pack with new cells will probably be possible. The car could easily end up with a range of 600 miles or more at 24. It's estimated when solid state cells become available the capacity of the first gen cells will likely be 2-3X what we have today and lighter weight.

One thing that struck me about ICE cars when I started looking in 2015 was how little they had changed since 1992. I started out looking for an ICE that had the same acceleration of my Buick (0-60 in 7s), got at least 20% better gas mileage, and had at least 80% the cargo space. I was shocked that despite all the hype about current car performance, I wasn't able to find an ICE that met all three criteria.

I looked at the Model S on a fluke and it blew away all my criteria by a huge margin.

In the 6 years the Model S has been on sale, it has probably evolved more than ICE did in the 24 years I had my Buick. When the dust settles on the EV revolution continuing to drive my car might be akin to trying to drive a Model T as a daily driver in the 1950s (about the same time span, the Model T was discontinued in 1927).

Musk also ignored them for the most part, but now he has to respond. Many people are arriving here with not much info about Tesla and are on the fence. 'Reasonable'-sounding posts intended to sway people should be met head-on.

There is a recent crop of shorts or trolls who appeared on TMC and they start off with snide, accusatory posts that are designed to earn a response. I don't put them in the same category as the orchestrated "journalistic" attack on Tesla, although they may be tied in. Their only effect here is to generate unnecessary discussion of points that have already been disputed. Claiming their views must be refuted only keeps the crap in view and thus to spread the stench.

Any attempt to silence them will only encourage the effort if not by them, by new aliases. Musk responding is different and is focused on the sources and motivation. We know the motivation of those here. The retail public needs to hear the Musk story from Musk in rebutting all the garbage and exposing the attempts to kill Tesla.

A couple of interesting events on the nearish term horizon

1. Thousands of new Model 3 owners reporting direct feedback to friends on social media. Also based on a unscientific survey of friends who already have one Model 3, many are going to order a second one.

2. Reports and reviews of the Performance models. Based on what we are seeing from the RWD Model 3, I fully believe Elon when he claims that the P will beat a BMW M4 on a track. This is going to really add to the hype on the Model 3.

3. Impact on Tesla Energy. We haven't seen any major revenue bookings or guidance. I think there will be a big step up between Q2 from Q1. Hopefully Tesla also starts to discuss what is in the pipeline.

I don't know...

Just like Tesla/Musk/we criticised Tripp for going to the media with his "whistleblowing" instead of proper authorities, I think we should criticise Musk for going to the media (yes, Twitter) with accusations of criminal activity instead of proper authorities.

While I totally understand where he is coming from, I'd rather him accept those invitations to BI or CNBC and take control of the narrative and let courts and lawyers do their work.

Business Insider defends their reporter:

Alyson Shontell on Twitter

.@businessinsider does not compensate its sources. It did not do so here and we stand by @lopezlinette’s reporting on Tesla. Our invitation for Elon Musk or anyone from his team to further discuss what has been reported and the state of Tesla stands.

Musk already firing back:

Are you 100% certain that @businessinsider stands by @lopezlinette & supports everything she’s done? Why won’t Lopez go on record saying that she never offered Tripp anything for inside info or asked him to break his confidentiality agreement by taking detailed video of Tesla IP?

The answer why she won't go on record:

Because she has no obligation to do so?

Here, watch: are you guys 100% certain that Elon Musk has legal US immigration status? Why won't he go on record and say he's legal status? Why won't he post his immigration documents?

If Elon doesn't reply, it means he must not be here legally.

... Or, he has no obligation to respond?

Here, watch: are you guys 100% certain that Elon Musk has legal US immigration status? Why won't he go on record and say he's legal status? Why won't he post his immigration documents?

if Elon has been caught untruthful about his immigration status with evidence, then he probably will have to answer those questions.

it's funny you mention immigration. In this country, immigrants have to answer those questions all the time, even when there is no evidence against them what so ever. How do I know? I went through the whole deal of F1, OPT, stranded overseas due to "background check", H1B, H1B extension, RFE, n400, and I can go on.

I don't know...

Just like Tesla/Musk/we criticised Tripp for going to the media with his "whistleblowing" instead of proper authorities, I think we should criticise Musk for going to the media (yes, Twitter) with accusations of criminal activity instead of proper authorities.

While I totally understand where he is coming from, I'd rather him accept those invitations to BI or CNBC and take control of the narrative and let courts and lawyers do their work.

1. That was not whistle blowing
2. Tesla has gone to the courts with their grievances against Tripp (if there is also and FBI investigation, that would not be public knowledge)
3. Bad journalism ethics is not a crime in and of itself
4. Elon has 1st amendments rights and can use them as he sees fit. Twitter is a narrative also.

I don't know...

I do have to respectfully disagree with you here @sweter . Elon has 22 Million followers on Twitter. It is his largest 'unfiltered' audience, and his followers get his perspective before the media can edit it, or even cut to a commercial in a live interview. The Australian battery project would not have gone to Tesla IMHO if Elon and Mike Cannon-Brookes had not made the world aware through both of their massive Twitter followings that there were options beyond more fossil fuel plants. And in a similar manner immense pressure will be put on the media to respond to Elon's statements. He is slowly and steadily chipping away at their last defense - which has simply been cry foul for his attacks on the media. Now he is attacking with content that requires a response......something he would not be allowed to do if they were hosting the interview session. In the last 2 hours Elon has stepped up his message to Linette Lopez and now appears to also be asking CNBC similar questions. When he does this from Twitter, he controls the message & content.

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk 27m27 minutes ago
Replying to @ajs @nichcarlson and
Are you 100% certain that @businessinsider stands by @lopezlinette & supports everything she’s done? Why won’t Lopez go on record saying that she never offered Tripp anything for inside info or asked him to break his confidentiality agreement by taking detailed video of Tesla IP?

42 replies19 retweets280 likes

A better analogy would be that you don't have to respond to every accusation of you stealing, but if some saw on ebay that you are selling the stuff that were stolen, then it is natural for many people to think that you have the obligation to offer explanation.

Reactions: neroden and Thumper

.@businessinsider does not compensate its sources. It did not do so here and we stand by @lopezlinette’s reporting on Tesla. Our invitation for Elon Musk or anyone from his team to further discuss what has been reported and the state of Tesla stands.

They were mainly defending themselves, not Lopez. You will notice that they said BusinessInsider does not pay its sources. They did not say that she did not pay her sources herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.