Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has already been posted but this is the funniest thing I've seen in quite awhile:

David Einhorn on Twitter

Screenshot 2018-08-10 11.43.40.png

But we know that tweet wasn't exactly true because the board hasn't approved the deal yet. So it not only depends on shareholder approval, but board approval as well.

If shareholders approve and the board doesn't, well, the board may find itself replaced. Or at least outvoted when it goes to an actual shareholder vote. They matter, but they don't have a final say necessarily.

If shareholders approve and the board doesn't, well, the board may find itself replaced. Or at least outvoted when it goes to an actual shareholder vote. They matter, but they don't have a final say necessarily.

Well it can't go to shareholders for a vote until it gets approved by the board, right? (With the exception of the vote could be added to the next yearly shareholders meeting.)

Well it can't go to shareholders for a vote until it gets approved by the board, right? (With the exception of the vote could be added to the next yearly shareholders meeting.)
Yeah, it would take a lot longer to happen. But if the major shareholders (not us small fry who makes up the 12% retail) are interested, and I'm sure they'll let the board know, the board will know they may be only delaying the process and getting themselves tossed out to boot.

If there's a good chance it passes the shareholder vote, I don't think there's a chance the board tries to prevent it going to said vote. If the plan is so bad it has no chance in hell though... they might stop it and I'm sure they'd inform enough details to the shareholders that they wouldn't be holding the board's feet to the fire at the next meeting.

Retail percentage is larger than most people think. Most people take shares outstanding minus institutional minus insiders and assume that that's retail -- but they've left out the shares fabricated by the short-sellers. I estimate 58 million "retail" shares (though that includes Saudi Arabia's 5-8 million shares, so many of these "retail" shares aren't small investors).

Forgive me if already posted, or old toast. I called Schwab today, not our wealth manager—who's on vacation this week—but for general information. Above thread I read about people being concerned if TSLA is in a retirement account. We have two IRAs: one Roth the other rollover. The guy informed me there is no problem imposed by Schwab about converting to privately funded companies, from their side but, of course, that could be constrained by the terms of the deal. As a brokerage he seemed clear they had no restrictions on content of such accounts. Nice conversation, nice guy. He asked why Musk wanted to do this so, thanks to Musk and y'all, I was helpful.

He also offered, "I know we have a lot of customers holding TSLA, as do other brokers, so I would expect they would have an interest, as do we, in protecting our customers." Also he said, Schwab, I presume others as well, have an "Alternative Investments" unit which will be developing information for us as this drama unfolds. Of course I'm not talking about a pension fund or Canadian rules, etc., just plane vanilla U.S. Probably you more sophisticated guys knew this all along.

FWIW, Tuesday when Tesla stock went up 10.99% we were talking with our accountant about the tax consequences of selling stock (not TSLA) to finance our upcoming purchase of an M3. Yesterday we got the results for various scenarios by phone. She knew about the recent news and I filled her in on the consequences based on reading or skimming this thread. She decided to buy the stock that day.

Good work, guys.

Two observations:

1. Tesla has called me the past 4 days to schedule model 3 test drive. I have not answered the phone, same canned message, same person. "Spots are filling up quickly" closest thing to pressure being applied. Likely from a call center, not local. On the bull side I think some of these could progress to orders. On the bear side I am surprised they say anything about spots being taken up quickly while calling so many days in a row. Also, this is a few months late compared to what my local sales center told me it would be. No biggie, but still later than the employee told me.

2. I suspect I am unique following this stock/company obsessively. I ran into someone that has a car, I asked them if they owned stock, they said yes. They had no idea of recent market developments and said they do not watch it much. (Much healthier IMO). They likely had the means to own MUCH more than me. I know another person like this. Perhaps there are a lot more well to do investors that have bought and held TSLA that don't watch and obsess, dont react emotionally. Perhaps a lot of retail owns like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.