Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Genesis GV60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We want to get a second EV. We drove the Model 3 and think it is too small and low. The X and S are not the right cars for us. Genesis just released some details and photos of their new "GV60" and it seems really nice. I expect it will have a slightly higher price than the Y, but I like what I have seen so far. As far as I can tell, the only negatives are the lack of frunk and under-trunk space, range (slightly) and the charging network. It appears to have many of the features that the Y is lacking: surround view, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitors, Apple Car Play, display in front of driver, heads-up display, cooled seats, electronically adjustable dampers, etc. And I think the adaptive cruise control in Hyundai/Genesis products actual works without any phantom braking (I owned a Hyundai Palisade).

If they can bring the AWD in to the US for about $60k, I think it will occupy the space next to our Y. The Y would be our road trip car due to the additional space, range and charging network and the GV60 would be our local car. Curious what others think of the GV60?

Reactions: MG535 and jpy1980
I think it looks sweet and that the Korean brands have been rocking it lately. But if I were you, I’d probably get another Y. Although I preordered the CyberTruck, in reality when the time comes, I may get my wife a MYLR to compliment my MYP. These are such good cars.

Reactions: Lucas007
I'd probably lean towards whichever company decides to jump on the Supercharger network, based on my recent experience with Level 2 charging in Upstate NY. My wife wants an EV but doesn't want a sedan or SUV/CUV. So our choice will probably be whomever makes a sporty EV coupe.

We want to get a second EV. We drove the Model 3 and think it is too small and low. The X and S are not the right cars for us. Genesis just released some details and photos of their new "GV60" and it seems really nice. I expect it will have a slightly higher price than the Y, but I like what I have seen so far. As far as I can tell, the only negatives are the lack of frunk and under-trunk space, range (slightly) and the charging network. It appears to have many of the features that the Y is lacking: surround view, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitors, Apple Car Play, display in front of driver, heads-up display, cooled seats, electronically adjustable dampers, etc. And I think the adaptive cruise control in Hyundai/Genesis products actual works without any phantom braking (I owned a Hyundai Palisade).

If they can bring the AWD in to the US for about $60k, I think it will occupy the space next to our Y. The Y would be our road trip car due to the additional space, range and charging network and the GV60 would be our local car. Curious what others think of the GV60?

FWIW, this is a vehicle I likely will check out if they bring the AWD to the US. I like hyundai's / Kia's. In my past, the first "brand new car purchased off the lot" was a kia sorrento I bought in 2003.

That car was rock solid for me, had it like 17 years and 175k miles and, other than regular oil changes / basic maintenance, only needed a cv boot replaced during that entire time. We also bought my child a new 2015 elantra that has been solid for the 80k miles she has had it so far.

They are not considered a premium brand, but are trying to change that, with genesis. The only issue I would have is the charging network, because that is something that tesla has a huge advantage in right now.

Reactions: jpy1980
Discussions like this is where I think Tesla could really benefit in brining the Model Y SR back. It’d fill this potential gap in nicely.
I have no doubt it will be back.. once supply catches up with demand. And the proof is right on Tesla.com. If you order a new $54K LR Y today then the estimated arrival date is April 2022. If you spend more and order a $61K Performance Y then the estimated arrival moves up to December. What this tells me is that not only is Tesla dealing which a huge amount of backlogged orders.. but priority is placed on building the most expensive trims first. Which makes sense as those models generate the most profit.

Once Austin is online and possibly Berlin too. Expect supply to finally catch up with demand.. and two things to happen. 1) Price increases to revert back to where they were at the start of the year.. 2) SR Y to return with the LFP battery pack and priced below $45K.

And I think the adaptive cruise control in Hyundai/Genesis products actual works without any phantom braking (I owned a Hyundai Palisade).
I think it could go either way tho. I think they just tuned it to be less sensitive... I posted a video a while back of the IIHS collision mitigation testing... Hyundai's system failed to stop in time to avoid a pedestrian collision in several of the tests.... Nissan's system appeared to do the best, with stopping with the most margin... But I have that system in my Infiniti... I get a lot of false forward collision mitigation events with it. Sometimes the car freaks out so bad, it even activates the seat belt pre-tensioners.