Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting seriously tempted by the i-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is another thread in the electric cars section on the i-pace where others have been posting news about the actual car. This thread has derailed from the original M3 vs i-pace discussion though.

And that is why i-pace discussion here makes no sense.

Also the timeline for M3 to arrive in UK is unknown presently and irrelevant to the argument whether or not we should have threads discussing other cars in the Model 3 section.

And that is why i-pace discussion here makes no sense.

Also the timeline for M3 to arrive in UK is unknown presently and irrelevant to the argument whether or not we should have threads discussing other cars in the Model 3 section.

It is entirely relevant to the discussion. If the M3 is at least 18 months away (as stated already), so there is some known, competitor's cars could become a big factor in whether people choose the M3. The i-pace is one of those competitors.

Maybe already mention in this thread but according to this German article the I Pace will have 120 kW ccs and in Germany it will cost "under 80k€" wish is about the same as Tesla Model S.if it possible to use that as a measurement to get the cost in other countries is hard to say but I belive that because of import taxes and shipping cost I-Pace will probably cost more then Model S 75 in US.of course that's with todays price, who know what battery and at what cost Tesla will offer Model S next year.

Jaguar I-Pace lädt mit 120 kW (mit Video) - electrive.net

It is entirely relevant to the discussion. If the M3 is at least 18 months away (as stated already), so there is some known, competitor's cars could become a big factor in whether people choose the M3. The i-pace is one of those competitors.

The I-Pace competes with the Model X/S...not the Model 3. The base I-Pace is going to cost more than twice the base Model 3...

Reactions: T34ME
IMG_0624.PNG
Looks like a 4 seater. 220 miles of range, no supercharging and an SUV only seating 4 doesn't sound too compelling to me. Not bad looking tho they should sell a few. Competition is good

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and cizUK
View attachment 231309 Looks like a 4 seater. 220 miles of range, no supercharging and an SUV only seating 4 doesn't sound too compelling to me. Not bad looking tho they should sell a few. Competition is good
It's a concept.
It will have more space than the F-Pace inside and that's a 5 seater.
It will likely get an equivalent of supercharging through CCS -
According to this German article the I Pace will have 120 kW ccs
It's a Jaguar, so it will handle better than most EVs
Range, we'll have to find out.

Remember, the competition is ICE vehicles, not really other EVs, to the general population
In the UK, EVs aren't doing exceptionally well, but as JLR is high profile, it will change all that.

Here's an interior shot of the new Jaguar Sport Brake. Taste is individual, but I find this cabin on the busy side of all right (compared to over-the-line stark for the Model 3), but still good and a clearly a very nice place to be.
Robin
2017-Jaguar-XF-Sportbrake7.jpg

@xav-

Factors that make me more hopeful.

1) Being built by the same factory as the BMW 5 Series
2) JLR today under Tata are a million times better than Jaguar of old (which is hardly difficult)
3) Even if it does have teething troubles the dealership is 5 miles away not 75.
4) Jaguar are rumoured to have more pre-production cars out in testing than Tesla have RC Model 3s
5) The F-Pace has in general proven to be a reliable car.
Still near 0 experience building electric vehicles. I think it will take more than one iteration before getting something that sticks on the wall.

Think about the Nissan Leaf, even the tesla roadster.. it was not all smooth when they started. I don't think I know a single instance of a non tesla EV that has not massively depreciated. I would be very concerned at the idea of paying something like 60,000 pounds for something like that.

If you decide to buy a new vehicle I would urge you to lease, not purchase. If you drive too much and can't lease I strongly recommend you go with tesla or maybe the Chevy bolt. Maybe a luxury plug in hybrid?

My 2 cents. Made similar comments a few years back with Microsoft surface tablets and first android phones. It took more than one iteration before getting something descent over Apple

@xav-

I agree, but if it wasn't for us risk takers buying the early Tesla Model S's, they'd have folded ;) Ironically in some ways the IPace is a more attractive car to me just because I'm an early adopter by nature.

As for leasing, I probably won't. I never finance. If I can't afford it cash, I don't buy it. ( A simple life rule, but one that has generally served me well). I'm definitely going in to this completely eyes open though, well aware that everything bar Tesla to date has been a depreciation disaster. At the end of the day it's an amount of money I'm prepared to gamble.

- Prices shot up here in the UK due to a misguided vote to become an isolated nation of old age pensioners
Aging correlates with conservative voting.
Conservatism correlates with xenophobia & racism.
Aging also correlates with lower IQ.
Lower IQ also correlates with conservatism

*awaits backlash as has happened on numerous other occasions on numerous other forums over the years, as people hate the research reality because they cannot accept that people are not the same, neurobiologically*

• Love
Reactions: T34ME
Still near 0 experience building electric vehicles. I think it will take more than one iteration before getting something that sticks on the wall.

Agree in general, but their participation in formula E will help develop the battery / engine know-how. Just like a lot of tech used first in Formula One trickles down to ICE cars eventually.

Competition is good, and knowing Jaguar their interior will be superb. The more compelling EVs the better - 2020 we may have quite a number to choose from.