Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting seriously tempted by the i-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All-electric Jaguar I-Pace spied speeding around a track in Monaco

Still on the fence and holding my reservation, but the worries I have at the moment in the UK with the Model 3:

- Interior is laughable. Lovely car on the outside but interior is a joke. Even a BMW i3 is more appealing inside. I want gadgets. I want graphs. I want animated energy widgets. It's just not going to fit!
- No AWD option although there may be by the time we get one in the UK
- No hatch - boot will be about as useless as in my wife's Golf convertible
- There will be loads of them about so resale will suffer
- Limited options
- Still no idea on pricing in the UK

So - I keep hovering over the order button on a Model S, BUT:

- Prices shot up here in the UK due to a misguided vote to become an isolated nation of old age pensioners
- Looking a bit dated inside

Plus I have worries about Tesla in general:

- Hardly any service centres in the UK
- They seem to fall apart a lot looking at the Model S forum (a bigger problem when considered with the point above)
- Focus is on driverless tech whereas I want a driver's car with some feel

If Jaguar can launch that i-Pace for around £60K I'm going for it.

OK - I'm ducking behind the sofa now. Let me have it!

I agree - competition is brilliant. When I went to start reading up on this now I realise this couldn't be more a polar opposite to Tesla. Tesla is vertically integrating their supply chain in many cases, bringing even their robot manufacturer inhouse...compared with Jaguar who will be outsourcing their manufacturing:
Jaguar, a British brand owned by an Indian company, will use a Canadian-owned contract manufacturer to build full-electric crossovers in Austria.
Source: Jaguar I-Pace to be built by Magna Steyr (autonews.com November 28, 2016)

Hopefully it's a huge success for them so they and others do more with EVs.

So go to your local Jaguar dealer and buy one. Oh wait...

Yeah, instead go to your local Tesla dealer and buy a 3! Ohh wait, same problem.

Right now you're comparing two cars that don't even have their designs finalized and won't be for sale in England for like a year. Who knows what the market place will look like then.

All-electric Jaguar I-Pace spied speeding around a track in Monaco

Still on the fence and holding my reservation, but the worries I have at the moment in the UK with the Model 3:

- Interior is laughable. Lovely car on the outside but interior is a joke. Even a BMW i3 is more appealing inside. I want gadgets. I want graphs. I want animated energy widgets. It's just not going to fit!
- No AWD option although there may be by the time we get one in the UK
- No hatch - boot will be about as useless as in my wife's Golf convertible
- There will be loads of them about so resale will suffer
- Limited options
- Still no idea on pricing in the UK

So - I keep hovering over the order button on a Model S, BUT:

- Prices shot up here in the UK due to a misguided vote to become an isolated nation of old age pensioners
- Looking a bit dated inside

Plus I have worries about Tesla in general:

- Hardly any service centres in the UK
- They seem to fall apart a lot looking at the Model S forum (a bigger problem when considered with the point above)
- Focus is on driverless tech whereas I want a driver's car with some feel

If Jaguar can launch that i-Pace for around £60K I'm going for it.

OK - I'm ducking behind the sofa now. Let me have it!

If / when the i-pace becomes available to order, we should have Model 3s in the hands of the general public so it would be more appropriate to be "tempted" at that point rather than now when i-pace is just a bunch of prototypes without specifications or a confirmed production date.

I am a Tesla fan no doubt and we are in a Tesla forum I accept, but let me tell you the i-pace is not comparable to a Tesla Model 3 (or MS) in any shape of form simply because there is a very very big difference in the way these two companies approach EV - If you haven't picked up that difference already, I am afraid you will not understand what I mean.

PS: I am not a fan of self driving cars either although I fear it will become a necessity in the years to come.

Reactions: T34ME
I think it's a great initiative by Jaguar, and competition is good for us.

I just hope it will be more reliable than other British cars (though that's an easy target). Perhaps the people from Tata in India can help.

And will Jaguar install their own supercharger network?

I just hope it will be more reliable than other British cars (though that's an easy target). Perhaps the people from Tata in India can help.

So long as they make it 100+kW compatible, they can use other charging stations and it will still be cheaper than fuel
Remember the competition is ICE not other electric cars.

Reactions: kablammyman
I'm a Jaguar fan, I have had them since 1970 and seen the improvement in quality once Ford took over. Not sure how they are now and would still have a Jaguar if Tesla was not around. I do not see my self buying an i-pace but appreciate that Tata is making an all electric vehicle.

I'm not sure I trust the Indian TATA / Jaguar just as I don't know that I'd trust a Chinese car manufacturer. They've still got a lot to prove in my book as far as safety and reliability. South Korean and Japanese manufacturers came a long way in the last few decades.

Remember this car that TATA tried to bring to market... it got zero stars

TATA seems to take a little better care with the Jaguar brand. Jaguar is trying to turn the page on their their reliability numbers and reputation. Don't get me wrong the I-Pace looks kind of cool from the outside and I hope for the best. Any competition is good competition as long as they're both safe and reliable.

It's gotten better, but I hope they keep at it and develop a culture of continual improvement.

Considering that it's a Jaguar in name only, reliability should not be any worse that your average Euro car.

the i-pace isn't a model3 alternative... it seems like a reasonable competitor to the model x -- and will be priced similarly.
the tesla informatics, supercharger network, service network (vs limited network for EV's from Jag) may be the differentiating factors.
Jag - £40K - 100K (10-15% more than F-Pace)
Tesla - £75K - 170K
I notice a slight difference in the numbers :p

I'm not sure I trust the Indian TATA / Jaguar just as I don't know that I'd trust a Chinese car manufacturer. They've still got a lot to prove in my book as far as safety and reliability. South Korean and Japanese manufacturers came a long way in the last few decades.

Remember this car that TATA tried to bring to market... it got zero stars

TATA seems to take a little better care with the Jaguar brand. Jaguar is trying to turn the page on their their reliability numbers and reputation. Don't get me wrong the I-Pace looks kind of cool from the outside and I hope for the best. Any competition is good competition as long as they're both safe and reliable.

It's gotten better, but I hope they keep at it and develop a culture of continual improvement.
NCAP (The only one which tested both) - Model S vs XF
Jag seems to have fared better

You can't compare the S with the 3 IMHO. I have the S as my dogs can go in the boot and be kept cool by the air con when I am away. The S is always going to be superior to the 3 as it costs twice as much and is targetted at a different market. If I were to change in a few years it would be for an X not a 3 but at the moment I can't fault my S which costs nothing to run and doesn't really need servicing so I don't care where the service centre is. My MOT next year will cover anything important and any garage can do that.

Competition is good but I do not see any competitor's car being so sexy and so advanced for a long time. Model S "dated" - you on Earth or a different planet!

Jag - £40K - 100K (10-15% more than F-Pace)
Tesla - £75K - 170K
I notice a slight difference in the numbers :p
I see an estimated US price beginning in the low $50,000 range for the base I Pace. That makes it a strong competitor to the Tesla Model X and it could potentially take huge bite out of Model Y orders. But that's a very different market segment from a $35,000 base Model 3. On the other hand, it's pretty much a given that the Jaguar will have a better interior, more displays and a hatchback. If the X is more car than you need, and you can't wait for a Y, the I Pace would be something to look very closely at.
Robin