Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For anyone who wants to see just how much adding tint to your glass "enhances" the orange glow effect...with the southern California drizzle, i walked out to my car and obverved this perfect comparison...both cars have the orange glow, but the car on the left is tinted and the car on the right is stock. Adding tint really makes the orange glow bright!

IMG_20190107_114546.jpg
IMG_20190107_114553.jpg
IMG_20190107_114556.jpg

For anyone who wants to see just how much adding tint to your glass "enhances" the orange glow effect...with the southern California drizzle, i walked out to my car and obverved this perfect comparison...both cars have the orange glow, but the car on the left is tinted and the car on the right is stock. Adding tint really makes the orange glow bright!

View attachment 367090 View attachment 367091 View attachment 367092
Can you advise the build dates on these? I am looking to replace my rear window due to defrost damage but am hesitant because of production of the non orange glass. Now I am reading they are producing the orange glass again but not sure if its full production or if some are still fitted with the plain glass... thanks!

Can you advise the build dates on these? I am looking to replace my rear window due to defrost damage but am hesitant because of production of the non orange glass. Now I am reading they are producing the orange glass again but not sure if its full production or if some are still fitted with the plain glass... thanks!
I'm wondering the same. It's possible they used leftover orange glass for some recent builds rather than actually switching back. The orange is such a cool look! Really wish mine had it.

Reactions: Cowby
Both older builds. The one on the right is VIN 14XXX and the left is a bit higher, but similar vintage. Definitely NOT newer builds (having license plates proves that).

Further "proof" that the rear windows with 2/3 "dark tint" still have the IR coating on the whole thing:

coat1.png

coat2.png

coat3.png

If the light hits it just the right way, you can start to see the "orangeness" on water droplets even in the back 1/3 untinted section. (above the defroster wires)

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
I don't know why 'cause I don't speak German, but I watched a recent YouTube video "Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD EU-Version Probefahrt Teil 3" on a first test drive in Germany.
Even though I didn't understand what was being said, I did note that at 23:09 they showed the rain soaked roof, which had the orange coating on both the front and rear glass. The orange tint on the rear glass stopped at the defroster coils however.

Apparently the EU cars will get more tinted rear glass than my Aug "08 build model 3D also :mad:.

I don't know why 'cause I don't speak German, but I watched a recent YouTube video "Tesla Model 3 Performance AWD EU-Version Probefahrt Teil 3" on a first test drive in Germany.
Even though I didn't understand what was being said, I did note that at 23:09 they showed the rain soaked roof, which had the orange coating on both the front and rear glass. The orange tint on the rear glass stopped at the defroster coils however.

Apparently the EU cars will get more tinted rear glass than my Aug "08 build model 3D also :mad:.

Depending on the angle and ambient lighting conditions, the defroster area may look like it doesn't have the IR reflector coating, but in fact it does. This is true for my early build (Feb 2018). As I mentioned when this thread was created, aftermarket tinting the defroster area significantly enhances the IR reflection, which makes the entire rear glass look orange. The photos in post 722 above finally prove this definitively. I have taken pics of my own car (no aftermarket tint) that show what looks like zero orange/pink reflection in the defroster area, and also very obvious yellow/orange reflection from that same area. all depends on angle and light. I'd say this German vid is inconclusive. I suspect though that it has the coating on the entire rear glass.

My P3D 83xxx built 11/26/18 has orange rear glass. However, they shipped the car with a chip in the glass edge. Replacement glass is at the autoglass shop. Something to look for before they install it....I guess. Would really like to retain the orange as it matched the Red Multicoat really well.

My P3D 83xxx built 11/26/18 has orange rear glass. However, they shipped the car with a chip in the glass edge. Replacement glass is at the autoglass shop. Something to look for before they install it....I guess. Would really like to retain the orange as it matched the Red Multicoat really well.
Let us know how that goes... Interesting to see the old glass back in stock...

I am also interested to see if you have a significantly distorted view (with the defroster on) with the replacement glass... Mine is really bad and technically unsafe but I don't want to lose the old glass style so its a catch 22.