Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GME and AMC stock action (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no problem with shorting per se. If somebody is taking a short position legally - borrow shares first and then sell them, totally fine. And then carry through with something more like we call buy and hold - for short sales it'd be sell and hold. The idea in both cases is an investment thesis that we then sit back and watch, instead of using manipulative buys and sales; series of heavily biased articles designed to push the stock price in our direction.

It's the latter two bits that are the problem. Specifically including naked shorting by 'investors' that are taking a directional bet, and using naked shorts to manufacture counterfeit shares, pushing the actual share price down the supply / demand curve. These are the problem.

I think there are a couple of facets to the solution. The easy one is re-implement the uptick rule for all companies, all of the time. Companies that want to short will still short - they just won't be able to use the manipulative naked shorts to drive the share price down. Or at least not as much.

The second, which is harder to explain to the general public, is for some serious regulatory hand slapping for FTDs and for naked shorting for the purpose of taking a direction. I think this is solvable by shrinking the time window for short sale shares to be located and borrowed. Better is to make access to naked shorting much more difficult - restrict it to actual market makers with a non-directional position and give them 3 day settlement to find and borrow shares. Real market makers with a non-directional position will either buy to close those shares quickly, or will go seeking borrowed shares.

In reality they won't want to pay the interest, so they'll buy-to-close their naked shorts swiftly.
perhaps also reporting on FTD and short interest more than 2x per month.
what’s the FTD and short interest since 1/14?
S3’s guess is the best anyone can get on short int. and it seems to get revised.
they have almost 5 weeks to hide things.

Reactions: Drumheller
perhaps also reporting on FTD and short interest more than 2x per month.
what’s the FTD and short interest since 1/14?
they have almost 5 weeks to hide things.

For real.

And without the additional 2 week lag. There's no reason why the total short shares can't be reported daily, or at least over the weekend with no additional lag, every week. I think that right there will stop anything like this selling short more shares than exist situation.

I think that right there will stop anything like this selling short more shares than exist situation.
Nope.

Shorting more shares than exist does not require "naked shorting". Consider XYZ, a company with only one share which you own. You lend it to me and I sell it short to Bob. 100% of shares are shorted. Bob then lends the share to Carol, who sells it short to Dave. We're now at 200% short. And on it goes.

You, Bob and Dave are each long 1 share. That's a 300% long position! FWAUD, FWAUD, FWAUD!!!!! Nope, just simple arithmetic. 3 longs minus 2 shorts equals 1 net long, same as before the short sales happened.

Con artists have cornered markets for centuries. Boiler rooms took over at the start of the 20th century and internet message boards at the end. The con men can only cash out if they get enough suckers to rush in. A rapidly rising price sucks in a lot of fresh meat, but feeding naive newcomers a pack of lies and absurd short seller conspiracies greatly multiplies the price spike. I first experienced this with SIEB back in the reverse split frenzy of the mid-90s. I saw with NFI in the mortgage meltdown and GMGMQ even AFTER General Motors filed BK and clearly stated the stock would be canceled and shareholders would receive nothing. A stock can't get more worthless than that, but the con artists don't care as long as they can bring in the suckers.

Some corners gain mainstream fame, e.g. the Hunt brothers silver corner in 1980. Porsche's corner of VW is the all time champ, but that was a single actor (with collusion from investment banks). It would have been illegal in the US. Hell, it was probably illegal in Germany. But regulators looked the other way since it was a famous German family and the losers were mostly "evil" foreign short sellers. What about the late-arriving retail suckers who lost savings due to this blatant manipulation? Tough cookies.

GME is just the latest market manipulation to gain mainstream fame. Not only did the WSB con artists get rich convincing retail investors to pile in, they actually convinced many they were part of some noble crusade! The ultimate scam.

This is so interesting. Remember how after a day of heavy shorting on TSLA, the Uptick Rule would kick in, and the price stabilized for a day? How very mysterious that the same thing is happening with GME today.

Yellen is supposedly having a meeting about this tomorrow. Let's see if she sides with the people or with the short sellers and hedge funds.

Nope.

Shorting more shares than exist does not require "naked shorting". Consider XYZ, a company with only one share which you own. You lend it to me and I sell it short to Bob. 100% of shares are shorted. Bob then lends the share to Carol, who sells it short to Dave. We're now at 200% short. And on it goes.

You, Bob and Dave are each long 1 share. That's a 300% long position! FWAUD, FWAUD, FWAUD!!!!! Nope, just simple arithmetic. 3 longs minus 2 shorts equals 1 net long, same as before the short sales happened.

Con artists have cornered markets for centuries. Boiler rooms took over at the start of the 20th century and internet message boards at the end. The con men can only cash out if they get enough suckers to rush in. A rapidly rising price sucks in a lot of fresh meat, but feeding naive newcomers a pack of lies and absurd short seller conspiracies greatly multiplies the price spike. I first experienced this with SIEB back in the reverse split frenzy of the mid-90s. I saw with NFI in the mortgage meltdown and GMGMQ even AFTER General Motors filed BK and clearly stated the stock would be canceled and shareholders would receive nothing. A stock can't get more worthless than that, but the con artists don't care as long as they can bring in the suckers.

Some corners gain mainstream fame, e.g. the Hunt brothers silver corner in 1980. Porsche's corner of VW is the all time champ, but that was a single actor (with collusion from investment banks). It would have been illegal in the US. Hell, it was probably illegal in Germany. But regulators looked the other way since it was a famous German family and the losers were mostly "evil" foreign short sellers. What about the late-arriving retail suckers who lost savings due to this blatant manipulation? Tough cookies.

GME is just the latest market manipulation to gain mainstream fame. Not only did the WSB con artists get rich convincing retail investors to pile in, they actually convinced many they were part of some noble crusade! The ultimate scam.
This is on the money.

The wsb old-timers were preaching risk management in more recent threads. Truly the ones that were there from the beginning made out like bandits at the expense of shorts, and certainly at the expense of those who piled on at the height of the frenzy.

I think a couple of press releases regarding a CTO and new hires from Amazon and elsewhere put a short term bid.

Certainly more interesting than most sports I'd say.

The argument is that shorting has the most teeth. Everything else takes too long (SEC) or doesn't have teeth.
Lol, ur kidding right? The SEC sued Elon within a week of him repeating a (true) forward-looking statement on an after-hours podcast.

Shorts OWN the SEC. It's a mockery to pretend otherwise. And naive.

Last edited:
The counterargument here - go watch "The China Hustle" on Netflix (I think). There are some (fraudlent) companies which really do deserve to be shorted.

I see both sides of this argument.

I agree. One can argue that with every long position there is a short position. When you go long TSLA you’re actually shorting the dollar (or the rest of the economy, just how you look at it). There’s no inherent malice in shorting, the problem is in how it’s executed.

Reactions: bkp_duke
When I buy any product I do some amount of research on it and decide if it's worth buying, I don't rely on some other individual financially motivated to trash the product. Shorts are supposed to "expose fraud" but how useful is it when they are motivated to lie about a company? Seems like a poor mechanism to provide "balance".

Got my order. Going to the hospital as soon as I can get a donation appointment.
IMG_FUSHawty.jpg

Imo we should set up a prediction market for stocks. There people can gamble on what the future price of a stock will be. Then we set up an exchange where people can trade real shares for prediction bets or for any currency token. Should be trivial to do on Ethereum, but we might need some larger organisation to bootstramp it to get enough market for it to be useful.

The problem with the current market is that it’s so expensive to short obvious overvalued shorts and actors are not equal on the market. A decentralized market will take care of both these problems and help for price discovery. It will be easy to bet that NKLA is overvalued and TSLA is undevalued if that is your belief and easy to withdraw from the bets whenever you want. With easy exchange of stocks to predictions price discovery of stocks will improve.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nocturnal
Elon made a cryptic tweet about being a "destroyer of shorts". The WSB gang wants to believe he's referring to GME shorts, but I have a feeling they are grasping for straws. There seems to be much more overlap between QAnon and WSB than I initially thought. But I'm still 12 shares of $GME in (currently at 50% losses, ouch. Lol) so I'll just sit and see how this all plays out.

Funnily enough, as a younger millennial on the cusp of Gen Z who does zero investing by choice, I agree with everything he is saying. The suicide and depression rates for our generation are very real and very scary. I say that as someone who has experienced mental health impacts from a life addicted to the screen (been playing MMORGs since I was a young child as a family member worked at a well known game company - back when Microsoft Zone was a thing and the early days of P2P battle.net).

This does not mean I believe him, nor that he is not using this story to manipulate the market. But I don't find this to be a crazy boomer rant by any means.

And if he is projecting his "loser son" onto others, well, at least he is taking his son's mental health seriously.

Last edited: