Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GME and AMC stock action (out of main)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But we have seen on many occasions that the S3 short interest data for TSLA was BS. For example on January 4th they said:

But then the actual information came out and showed it was really ~60.62M shares on 12/31. So they were off by ~16.4 million shares. That seems pretty much like BS to me.

Indeed. Plus we have observed several occasions when the error was not only in quantity, but even completely wrong directions, e.g. S3 was reported significant short covering numbers, but then it turned out short interest actually grew by quite a bit, and there were also opposite cases (S3 reporting more shorting when they actually covered). Several people on the main thread have pointed out those misses and concluded that S3 data is no better than random guess.

Reactions: MP3Mike
But we have seen on many occasions that the S3 short interest data for TSLA was BS. For example on January 4th they said:

But then the actual information came out and showed it was really ~60.62M shares on 12/31. So they were off by ~16.4 million shares. That seems pretty much like BS to me.
Those are estimates and will be off. Wsb thinks there's a conspiracy to hide the true numbers being 100% more than reported. That's off the deep end. I absolutely expect SI to increase as it was pretty much free money to short GME after RH decided to have clearing house issues. So these new shorts have much higher cost basis knowing retail ran out of firepower. All I see on wsb are bag holders. There's only so much dip these people can buy. And unlike Tsla which went to the moon on better than expected earnings/execution, GME went to the moon solely based on short squeezing so it's absolutely safe to short at their ATHs.

Either way with margin requirement increased and retail running out of money to pump this thing without selling off more assets like Tsla or AMD, people will be heading for the exit if gme doesn't move much. GME saw the biggest short squeeze in US history with a gain of almost 100x from 3 bucks. The magnitude is 25x more than the vw squeeze, and lasted like 5x longer. I don't know what you guys are hoping for.

Last edited:
Reactions: generalenthu
Those are estimates and will be off.

You're giving them a pass because they are just estimates? o_O:rolleyes:

Those are the estimates that people are paying big bucks for, and they are completely wrong sometimes. Off by like 30%. And sometimes in the wrong direction. You have to face it sometimes their data/algorithm just gets it wrong.

It will be interesting to get the real GME numbers and see how far off, if at all, they were this time.

You're giving them a pass because they are just estimates? o_O:rolleyes:

Those are the estimates that people are paying big bucks for, and they are completely wrong sometimes. Off by like 30%. And sometimes in the wrong direction. You have to face it sometimes their data/algorithm just gets it wrong.

It will be interesting to get the real GME numbers and see how far off, if at all, they were this time.
I expect them to be more right when the stock in question doesn't move in double digit percentages daily.

Those are estimates and will be off. Wsb thinks there's a conspiracy to hide the true numbers being 100% more than reported. That's off the deep end. I absolutely expect SI to increase as it was pretty much free money to short GME after RH decided to have clearing house issues. So these new shorts have much higher cost basis knowing retail ran out of firepower. All I see on wsb are bag holders. There's only so much dip these people can buy. And unlike Tsla which went to the moon on better than expected earnings/execution, GME went to the moon solely based on short squeezing so it's absolutely safe to short at their ATHs.

Either way with margin requirement increased and retail running out of money to pump this thing without selling off more assets like Tsla or AMD, people will be heading for the exit if gme doesn't move much. GME saw the biggest short squeeze in US history with a gain of almost 100x from 3 bucks. The magnitude is 25x more than the vw squeeze, and lasted like 5x longer. I don't know what you guys are hoping for.
So retail investors buying small amounts of shares with cash will feel more urgency to unwind their position than bankrupt hedge funds paying 30% margin per day on potentially billions of dollars of losses they can't nearly afford? Obviously this could go either way from here, but time and patience is on the retail side and.......I know I'm taking a massive leap here, I think the wider Reddit investor group understands that.

The story and the plan hasn't changed measurably from this beginning. The float is way too tight and shorts are still unsustainably short. The narrative in the press has changed dramatically, but again......since when do TMC posters buy into such obvious paid advertising?

So retail investors buying small amounts of shares with cash will feel more urgency to unwind their position than bankrupt hedge funds paying 30% margin per day on potentially billions of dollars of losses they can't nearly afford? Obviously this could go either way from here, but time and patience is on the retail side and.......I know I'm taking a massive leap here, I think the wider Reddit investor group understands that.

The story and the plan hasn't changed measurably from this beginning. The float is way too tight and shorts are still unsustainably short. The narrative in the press has changed dramatically, but again......since when do TMC posters buy into such obvious paid advertising?
I don't know why people assume the shorts are still there. The stock was at 3-4x all time lows for weeks. Many shorts with margin called low price basis are long gone. People are more than happy to just get their money back. Two weeks ago I had 5 coworkers asking me if they should buy gme. Last week I had 3 co-workers asked me how F-ed they are and how they can exit. It's at the bust cycle and it's very obvious.

Also don't forget these wsb are a bunch of kids who also used margins. They are getting margin called as well. The only ones with patience are the shorts because it's not like gme one day has autonomous driving revenue to grow into this current valuation .

Last edited:
I don't know why people assume the shorts are still there. The stock was at 3-4x all time lows for weeks. Many shorts with margin called low price basis are long gone. People are more than happy to just get their money back. Two weeks ago I had 5 coworkers asking me if they should buy gme. Last week I had 3 co-workers asked me how F-ed they are and how they can exit. It's at the bust cycle and it's very obvious.
Other than the press narrative from last week, we have no indication the 153% short interest has been even halved. And knowing what we do from TSLA's history with shorting, I'm not sure why you would think these guys would just give up, cover, and move on with life.

They didn't do that with a world-changing automotive/energy company attracting the top engineering talent in the world, why would they do it for a retail operation they are certain is going to zero?

Your thesis is they have given up. And the other hedge funds that piled on at the top have also given up? I'm not certain of anything, but knowing what we do about short operators we have to assume it's 50/50 at best. Hold a gun to my head and I'll put my money on them having not covered.

Other than the press narrative from last week, we have no indication the 153% short interest has been even halved. And knowing what we do from TSLA's history with shorting, I'm not sure why you would think these guys would just give up, cover, and move on with life.

They didn't do that with a world-changing automotive/energy company attracting the top engineering talent in the world, why would they do it for a retail operation they are certain is going to zero?

Your thesis is they have given up. And the other hedge funds that piled on at the top have also given up? I'm not certain of anything, but knowing what we do about short operators we have to assume it's 50/50 at best. Hold a gun to my head and I'll put my money on them having not covered.
I don't know if the short interest has to go below a certain level. There will be some short interest always.

Couple of data points I am looking at are short availability and borrow rates, and both indicate that the borrow is not particularly tight like it was when the fiery rally into 400s was underway.

If the original shorts didn't cover, or new shorts entered at a 3 digit price, the squeeze is unlikely to happen unless GME revisits those levels.

The sharp rallies and the drip drip pull backs are reminiscent of a bear market in the stock, almost the opposite of how Tesla behaves.

Also some of the long side catalysts like RH taking out all restrictions are in the rear view mirror. There is the prospect of new stimulus checks going to GME, but feel that may not be particularly market moving.

Agree it could go either way, but stock will eventually gravitate to some long term price which is closer to 25 than 60. Until then any buyers here are searching for a greater fool, or a margin call for shorts.

Cold war Bond flick

Production company: Eon Productions :p

Fun fact: this is the movie with SPECTRE's volcano base, including operative heliport and monorail, which were constructed at a lot inside Pinewood Studios, UK.

Ergo, Elon's is producing a volcano lair. Obviously. :cool:

Cheers!
It's just slightly more complex than that. As follows.
***No copyrights were harmed during the scribbling of this doggerel***

You only live twice
So say the stars
One life here on Earth
Another on Mars

Some drift through their years
A life so tame
'Til one dreamer appears
And Musk is his name

This chance is for you
So pay the price
Make one dream come true
You only live twice

8153dd7.png

Savage.

Gonna need a Vanilla Frosty to sooth that BURN.

Cold war Bond flick

Production company: Eon Productions :p

Fun fact: this is the movie with SPECTRE's volcano base, including operative heliport and monorail, which were constructed at a lot inside Pinewood Studios, UK.

Ergo, Elon's is producing a volcano lair. Obviously. :cool:

Cheers!
It's just slightly more complex than that. As follows.
***No copyrights were harmed during the scribbling of this doggerel***

You only live twice
So say the stars
One life here on Earth
Another on Mars

Some drift through their years
A life so tame
'Til one dreamer appears
And Musk is his name

This chance is for you
So pay the price
Make one dream come true
You only live twice
Very surprised to find myself attributed this quote, in an alert this morning.
Glitch in the Matrix?
Well done but I take no credit.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger