Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go to a Tesla Store - Something Big is Happening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All - I agree that Tesla, while well meaning, has been weak on consistent communication of whatever message they are trying to convey - test drive policy being case-in-point. I would have thought a weekly conference call, or company e-mail, or post to an intranet would have gotten more people on the same page. I don't work in a large comnpany so I don't know how this is handled in businesses with multiple offices and thousands of employees, but Tesla should come up witn a better way to convey their messages.

When I had my test drive back in March at the Shorthills store in NJ I was not required to have a reservation. I even specifically asked if I did and they said that was no longer required. It definitely seems like a store issue not a Tesla corporate policy.

I don't care to search back through the threads, because the test drive issue has already been declared off topic. But it was determined months ago that test drive availability was based on store, and date. Essentially it was all demand based, and when demand exceeds supply (which is fairly often) test drives are limited to reservation holders. That said, determined customers (such as myself) have always been able to secure test drives at impacted stores, through simple persistence.

Back to the actual topic, I am very hopeful that Cattledog is on to something. The Model S is perhaps on the cusp of being declared a hit product in the mainstream media, and once it is it might turn into the luxury automotive version of the cabbage patch doll. A must have accessory for the upper middle class, many of whom content themselves with much less expensive vehicles (because face it, the 7 Series is just boring), but who can easily afford a Model S.

As to the stores, my guiding assumption since last summer is that the stores would be driving sales going forward, and that Tesla should be targeting ~2 cars per store per day to be successful. If the store network is averaging 2 cars per store day that is outstanding news, especially considering the rapid pace with which Tesla is opening them and their impending move into the international market.

... The 'something big' isn't test drives for non-reservation holders ... The big is the whole thing. I have visited showrooms 4 times in the last 15 months, there is a palpable difference to the experience.

When I asked the staff member 'how many a day do you sell from here?', I was thinking 1/week. He said 1-2/day. I said, 'wow' and he replied, 'that's nothing compared to the California stores'.

So, something BIG is happening, can't wait until the next quarterly conference call to get new numbers...

Cattledog, I hope and think you are right in general, momentum really going.

At the same time, I think we'll see lower reservations Q1 than Q4 last year, and then numbers will grow in following quarters. I was in the store in Long Island (NY) two weeks ago. Spent plenty of time with an on the ball young Tesla rep (45 minute test drive :)), who suggested sales are about half pace of Nov/Dec when "things were crazy." While this is just word of mouth of one person at one store, it matches up pretty well with what we were seeing earlier in the year while there was still new data flowing to update the reservation thread here on TMC, and the fact that there was a price increase and surge in reservations end of December pulling what would have been Q1 orders into 2012.

I'm not meaning to burst bubbles... just sharing how I am managing my own expectations. I suspect first quarter's new reservations were down 25-50% from prior quarter, but thereafter back on upswing (notwithstanding gibberish we are likely to read from Corey Johnson and Mark Petersons of the world).

SteveG3 - I get your logic but hope you're wrong. Reservations popped after mid-November's MTCOY announcement, and then went nuclear 12/31 due to price increase. That said, I hope the cumulative effect of having cars on the road and the growing awareness in Europe have grown the reservation in the 2nd half of the quarter to where, overall, the quarters might be similar. We'll see (if they share numbers)

As to the stores, my guiding assumption since last summer is that the stores would be driving sales going forward, and that Tesla should be targeting ~2 cars per store per day to be successful. If the store network is averaging 2 cars per store day that is outstanding news, especially considering the rapid pace with which Tesla is opening them and their impending move into the international market.

In the US, Tesla currently has 25 stores and 24 service centers - an increase of five service centers in the past week or two. The website also indicates three additional future stores and ten additional service centers. Sales have been strongest in states with a Tesla footprint, although it is not clear if this is more a cause or an effect. (certainly a bit of both)

Of states with a population above 4 million, Tesla has not announced plans to open either a store or service center in Michigan, Indiana, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Alabama, South Carolina, Louisiana and Kentucky. I'm sure it would be possible to determine how many Americans are within 50 miles of a Tesla location as well.

Certain large cities are notably absent from the Tesla domain, including: Charlotte, Charleston, Tucson, Sacramento, Memphis, Jacksonville, Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Richmond, Indianapolis, Nashville and Salt Lake City. If Tesla needed to drive additional sales, stores in some of these locations would help with that. Based on sales by state, I think Tucson, Charlotte and Richmond will be a priority.

Certain large cities are notably absent from the Tesla domain, including: Charlotte, Charleston, Tucson, Sacramento, Memphis, Jacksonville, Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Richmond, Indianapolis, Nashville and Salt Lake City. If Tesla needed to drive additional sales, stores in some of these locations would help with that. Based on sales by state, I think Tucson, Charlotte and Richmond will be a priority.

Any reading about George Blankenship's resume inspires complete confidence in Tesla's rollout.

Not for me. Apple's managed to parley early hotshot success into... some really nasty reputational problems, involving people feeling that they were bait-and-switched and price-gouged. Anything sounding similar yet?

We must hang in different circles. I've only heard positives, zero talk about the nasty reputation problems. Just different experiences, I suppose.

Not for me. Apple's managed to parley early hotshot success into... some really nasty reputational problems, involving people feeling that they were bait-and-switched and price-gouged. Anything sounding similar yet?

No. Nothing sounding similar here at all. Really. I've never felt that way about Apple. Not sure what you mean by "early hotshot success" either. Apple's been around for a relatively long time.

As far as TM; Have you dealt with a Service Center yet? I am literally stunned by the level of service I got during my recent 12 volt issue. It almost felt surreal that an automaker could care this much for me and my already purchased car. Maybe we just really see the world differently?

As far as TM; Have you dealt with a Service Center yet? I am literally stunned by the level of service I got during my recent 12 volt issue. It almost felt surreal that an automaker could care this much for me and my already purchased car. Maybe we just really see the world differently?

The Service Center folks behaved excellently. Unfortunately, even THEY were complaining about the behavior of headquarters, which was changing things without notifying them. There's something seriously wrong in communications at HQ.

Was in the Santana Row store on Sunday, 7/14. Wow! In the 30 minutes we were in there, hundreds of people came in. Literally. It's one of the new stores with probably 4 times the square footage of the other stores I've been in, really cool. Lots of momentum, folks. Goldman Sachs should get out from behind their million dollar cubicles and do a little reserach that can't be done in Excel. That goes for you too, you guys on the top secret GM Tesla SEAL team.

Santana Row1.jpeg