Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The green plates have arrived:

tesla-green-plate.jpg

Moderator comment - thread merged from "Green Number Plates - I'm so excited (or not)"

So apparently I can nip off to Halfords and get a set of green EV number plates for £38.

Apparently recognizable to number plate scanners and comes with unsubstantiated and vague promises of free/discounted stuff (parking I assume ?)

Normally I wouldn't entertain such nonsense, but a little internal voice is telling me to get a set !!!! Strange

Would be interested in other peoples views on this ?

P.S. Apologies in advance to the colour blind

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt if the green bit on the plate will be your passport to freedom. I would guess that like road fund license, insurance etc, it’s managed by the car registration number and the data sitting on the database.
Indeed.

ANPR etc will have to continue to work off car registrations, not the presence (or lack thereof) of a green stripe.

If people could get all those concessions just from having a stripe you can bet your house that loads of people would stick them on their regular ICE cars and risk it, particularly if its handled by automated systems.

I have a private plate all ready to put on.. But I am thinking of holding off of the green stripe until:
1. I am sure it won't increase the chances of getting my car keyed.
2. There is a real tangible benefit for having it.
3. We know about signage for driving abroad. Currently we need a GB sticker on the car for driving into Europe.. But now?

Apart from the thickness and being metal, are the Tesla plates the same size as a standard number plate?

I'm trying to workout whether I can reuse a Tesla supplied plate on a Thule EasyFold bike carrier (without getting the bike carrier out to check).

Not my plate either...
upload_2020-12-13_19-59-13.png