Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any chance you could get a photo of your rear licence plate. Wanted to see if the holder has changed for that one too, as it's prone to rattling!

Sure:

B8407CD3-E724-4829-94DF-5D81E63CA991.jpeg

Reactions: Durzel
I'm still feeling that anything that sets EV drivers apart is worth thinking twice about. We want people to see driving electric as the normal thing to do rather than it being seen as some kind of separate club. I lean towards being inclusive wherever possible and the green number plate thing seems to be exclusive in a situation where it's not even necessary ... discuss!

I'm still feeling that anything that sets EV drivers apart is worth thinking twice about. We want people to see driving electric as the normal thing to do rather than it being seen as some kind of separate club. I lean towards being inclusive wherever possible and the green number plate thing seems to be exclusive in a situation where it's not even necessary ... discuss!

Ooooh. Very thought provoking. So playing devils advocate, how do you feel about EV charging/parking bays?

Ooooh. Very thought provoking. So playing devils advocate, how do you feel about EV charging/parking bays?

I suppose I would have to say that I would not want EV preferential parking unless it is just to specifically enable charging... which we can't do without. I justify the specific Tesla Supercharger facilities as being a service that I've paid for in advance in the price of an expensive car. In the longterm, in principle, I would prefer all charging to be accessible to all vehicles but that's going to have to be several years away once the rest of the charging infrastructure has caught up and achieved comparable speed and reliability! The green plate thing (to me) feels like a non thought through political idea to make EVs more visible. I fear that there's a risk of negative responses from those who presently feel (wrongly?) that they are being pushed into something they have already decided they don't want.

I think it's less important for well known EVs like Tesla and the Nissan Leaf, people offended by EVs will already know to be offended when they see them, but a few manufacturers are starting to make "e" versions of existing models. I think in that context it allows people to advertise that they actually bought the green version if they want to - maybe they previously bought a Prius for the same reason.

Personally I can't really bring myself to care too much about other people's number plates.

I suppose I would have to say that I would not want EV preferential parking unless it is just to specifically enable charging... which we can't do without. I justify the specific Tesla Supercharger facilities as being a service that I've paid for in advance in the price of an expensive car. In the longterm, in principle, I would prefer all charging to be accessible to all vehicles but that's going to have to be several years away once the rest of the charging infrastructure has caught up and achieved comparable speed and reliability! The green plate thing (to me) feels like a non thought through political idea to make EVs more visible. I fear that there's a risk of negative responses from those who presently feel (wrongly?) that they are being pushed into something they have already decided they don't want.

Remember that Darwin guy ? he got a lot of negativity when he started out, fortunately he stuck with it. "We need doers! Brian"
Personally I like waggling mine under the noses of those chelsea tractors as I zip silently pass. Every little helps!
Think of the/our KIds when you get that glare from a smoker. Coughs...

Reactions: Florafauna
I'm currently holding out to see if our current Blue Euro ones will still be valid abroad next year; if so I'll be keeping my blue to avoid covering the back of my Tesla with stickers. If not and/or we start seeing exemptions for green plates then I'll make the change.

I'm at my local SC & noticed this in one of the offices - are Tesla about to start issuing these?
Yes - ours came with the green flash (mid Dec 2020), and from the other threads during the transition it was a bit pot luck as to if you got this of the older style.

The green registration plate strip It doesn't look as bad as I feared on a red car... the plate holders themselves seem overly complicated though.

Reactions: Durzel
I'm currently holding out to see if our current Blue Euro ones will still be valid abroad next year; if so I'll be keeping my blue to avoid covering the back of my Tesla with stickers. If not and/or we start seeing exemptions for green plates then I'll make the change.

According to this gov.uk page: Displaying number plates

On or after 1 January 2021
If you display the Euro symbol and Great Britain (GB) national identifier on your number plate, you also need a separate GB sticker when travelling within the European Union.

Before we adopted EU number plates, I used to use a magnetic GB plate, just attached to the back of the car. Easy enough to just fit before going on holiday and take off again afterwards, and it never seemed to damage the paint. It was made from some sort of flexible, rubbery stuff, loaded with magnetic material of some sort.