Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GRIDSERVE’s latest sites:

Electric Hubs

• Currently in construction: Swansea (Moto), Heston West (Moto), Severn View (Moto), Wetherby (Moto), Burton in Kendall (Moto), Exeter (Moto), Woolley Edge North (Moto), Woolley Edge South (Moto), Thurrock (Moto), Leigh Delamere Westbound (Moto), Reading West (Moto).

• Entering construction early next year: Reading East (Moto), Grantham North (Moto), Scotch Corner (Moto), Washington North (Moto), Washington South (Moto), Cornwall Services, Annandale (Roadchef), Magor (Roadchef), Rownhams North (Roadchef), Durham (Roadchef), Watford Gap North (Roadchef), Watford Gap South (Roadchef), Northampton North (Roadchef), Northampton South (Roadchef), Strensham North (Roadchef), Strensham South (Roadchef)

Electric Forecourts®

• Currently in construction: Norwich Electric Forecourt® (opening April 2022), Gatwick Electric Forecourt® –(opening Autumn 2022).

• Planning permission secured: Uckfield, Gateshead, Plymouth, Bromborough.

They've opened a few of the hubs recently - swansea (6x), exeter (12x), burton in kendal (6x) - all 350kw chargers. The norwich one (one of the electric forecourt ones) is pretty close too, as are some of the hubs.

Reactions: Derek25
The issue is getting grid connections, they’d deploy the chargers tomorrow if they had the power capacity.

It’s no different to the issues all the other networks are having and there is billions of investment on the go slow because of it.
It's almost like Michael Green / Grant Shapps and other gov ministers might have to do something... rather than just talk or run "mentoring programmes" as a sideline. I can see both sides to private/public. I think best is to have some overarching goals set to avoid worst aspects of both. DNOs / electricity suppliers really need to speed up and ransom strips/land owners need to take second place to vital infrastructure needs. Perhaps a set payment for each metre of ground a cable covers (more for larger cables?) plus some fixed fee. Just make it automatic, predictable payment unless land owner wants to take it to court for serious reasons.

It's almost like Michael Green / Grant Shapps and other gov ministers might have to do something... rather than just talk or run "mentoring programmes" as a sideline. I can see both sides to private/public. I think best is to have some overarching goals set to avoid worst aspects of both. DNOs / electricity suppliers really need to speed up and ransom strips/land owners need to take second place to vital infrastructure needs. Perhaps a set payment for each metre of ground a cable covers (more for larger cables?) plus some fixed fee. Just make it automatic, predictable payment unless land owner wants to take it to court for serious reasons.
You mean like this:

14E63450-A7BE-432B-9D6A-5B49CE9E2D66.jpeg
14E63450-A7BE-432B-9D6A-5B49CE9E2D66.jpeg

They already exist for DNOs too.

Are these amounts widely used. My understanding is that getting wayleave isn't quick and possibly ransom strips holding things up. Anything that speeds up the process would be good from my point of view, a presumption that DNO can just go ahead if no special objection made within 30 days soon. It just sounds like getting the power to new sites is a problem.

Further clarity on exactly why (or several common reasons) would be great. Perhaps it's equipment, willpower, financial? What are they key reasons and how to overcome?

I think that's where government has a role, communal policies to make life better for the majority of people (but mostly me as a Tesla driver.... /s).

Are these amounts widely used. My understanding is that getting wayleave isn't quick and possibly ransom strips holding things up. Anything that speeds up the process would be good from my point of view, a presumption that DNO can just go ahead if no special objection made within 30 days soon. It just sounds like getting the power to new sites is a problem.

Further clarity on exactly why (or several common reasons) would be great. Perhaps it's equipment, willpower, financial? What are they key reasons and how to overcome?

I think that's where government has a role, communal policies to make life better for the majority of people (but mostly me as a Tesla driver.... /s).
Problem is governments, through the election cycle, are only ever motivated to make short term decisions.

No new nuclear for decades is a good example. All too difficult and no benefit in a 5 year election cycle.