Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which mono block forged wheel size, color and style would you like?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I spoke with Mike and my understanding is that Evasive does not necessarily think we're going to have problems fitting 9.5" wheels. Rather, they are starting with more stock-like sizes where the poll showed interest. Winter is coming so for those of us who have seasons, there are ~2 months to figure out track sizes before the 3-4 month delivery wait starts to cramp our track style.

Give them a call and report back to confirm that I heard what they intended to say.

Thanks for this info. I’ll contact Evasive and inquire.

I'm just getting in to aftermarket wheels. I understand the benefits of the forging process and lighter weight, but could someone explain the performance difference (handling, range, ride quality, etc) between our options? It seems the choices are currently:

18x8.5
19x8.5
19x9
Staggered (19x8.5/9)

And that all of these will fit over the P3D+ brakes. What are you choosing and why?

biggest improvement will be handling since now you have lesser unsprung weight so your suspension does not need to work as hard to keep the tires on the ground. You'll most likely notice less range since these wheels do not have aero benefit. Ride quality should be about the same. Also the wider your stance (less positive offset) the lesser your range will be because of aero, but you gain better handling because of less load transfer.

Not a wheel guy. Would like a Tesla center cap. How likely is it that we could see a 3D printed version of a center cap around the time of first orders are filled?

Planning on the 18x8.5/ +39. Stock 18's are +40. What effect will this have on car if no other suspension changes are made +39 vs.+40?

Sorry for the dumb questions. Just love the looks of these rims.

I'm just getting in to aftermarket wheels. I understand the benefits of the forging process and lighter weight, but could someone explain the performance difference (handling, range, ride quality, etc) between our options? It seems the choices are currently:

18x8.5
19x8.5
19x9
Staggered (19x8.5/9)

And that all of these will fit over the P3D+ brakes. What are you choosing and why?

I'll let the suspension and wheel experts explain performance differences. As for why to choose a specific size, the stock wheels are 8.5" wide and I would guess many are going with 18x8.5 as it's a direct replacement to the 18" stock rim, but fits the larger PUO brakes, while being significantly lighter and stronger. It's also SSCA D Stock compliant, so if you plan on auto-x you can run stock class with these.

Going wider gives you more contact patch, and potential to run even wider tires, but that comes with reduced range. Staggered is also preferred by some. Usually for RWD.

Going larger (19"/ 20") increases weight, cost of tires and potentially availability of tires, but some like the look as it fills the wheel well with more wheel/less tire.

I went with 19x8.5 as I think 19's really look better on the model 3 vs 18's. They weight approx 1lb more than the 18's, but they still save weight and are stronger than the stock wheels. They are stock width so they should get more range than wider choices. They also can be used for SSCA D Stock class, as the width of the wheel must be same as stock, but the diameter can be +/- 1".

That's my take, but I'm sure there's plenty of other opinions on this. Ymmv.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe

18x8.5
19x8.5
19x9
Staggered (19x8.5/9)

I chose the 19x9 all around. First 18s are out for me since I am getting the MPP big brake kit and that won't fit on 18s. Then I chose the widest 19" available because my P3D suffers greatly from traction. There is a lot of power there and not enough tire contact especially with the stretched tires it came with. Staggered is out of the question for me because I put balanced handling ahead of looks. Larger rear tires will give you under-steer and also lose ability to rotate.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I chose the 19x9 all around. First 18s are out for me since I am getting the MPP big brake kit and that won't fit on 18s. Then I chose the widest 19" available because my P3D suffers greatly from traction. There is a lot of power there and not enough tire contact especially with the stretched tires it came with. Staggered is out of the question for me because I put balanced handling ahead of looks. Larger rear tires will give you under-steer and also lose ability to rotate.

What kind of efficiency drop have people seen with the slightly wider tires all around? Are we talking a 5% hit or more like 20-25%? I'm not concerned about squeezing every last mile out of the car, but I'd like to see it in the high 200s since I do road trips pretty frequently.

Took some front inner clearance measurements today on my P3D- with 18" stock aero wheels. There is only 5/8" or about 15mm clearance where the rim edge is to the inner mount. What was interesting though was that as I took measurements higher (i.e if the wheel had larger diameter) the clearance grew by another 7-10mm. This is because that mount is at an angle not perpendicular to the ground.

Assuming 35 offset, with 9" width you loose 5mm of inner clearance and with 9.5" width you lose 10mm. This makes me conclude that on 18s", a width of 9" is really the widest you can go leaving at most 10mm clearance. 9.5" would only leave 5mm which is way too close. However on 19s", with 7-10mm more to play with, 9.5" width would fit with close to the same clearance as 9" on 18"s.

Something to think about and why I think some say 9.5 don't fit in the front and some say they do fine. Rim diameter matters in this case.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
One final push for change, and then I'm done. While I don't want to create dissension, I also don't want to have to wait until after this group buy to start up something new. I really like these wheels, but the fitments just aren't right. @Xenoilphobe you started the poll with mostly stock offsets. People voted on what diameter or maybe width, but "Offset is Everything", and I really believe that people voted disregarding offset. I never cast a vote BECAUSE of the offsets.You set the sizes in stone in less than 2 weeks that felt like forever, but now it is stuck there for 6 months. Evasive wrote me that they also wish that the offsets were more aggressive, but due to the polling, these will be done in the mild offsets. Especially as an owner of a P+ with an extra 3mm of space to work with, 8.5" +40 wheels will actually recede 5mm inward compared to my 20x8.5 +35 and of course 3mm more inward than the regular brake cars will fit. Going the wrong direction, people! Offset can be a tricky thing to wrap your head around, and I'm of the opinion that many voting and even buying are seeing examples of cars with similar designs and more aggressive offset, then thinking that's what they'll receive in an 8.5" +40. It is going to be very flat. So if you've already placed an order for that width/offset wheel, understand what you are getting. Is that look what you expect? Sunken in the wheel well like the factory wheels and with a flat face. Is there a way to ask those who have ordered if they would be open to having a lower offset for greater concavity and more flush to the fenders? I GUARANTEE that even if a couple orders were lost, you'll gain tons more orders by others that are going to have to use VS Forged to get custom offset, milled for the P+, receive sooner, and same price. I like these just enough better that it's worth me putting up this "fight".

I already posted earlier, but here is 8.5" +25. Within the fender completely but low enough offset to have some dish. Really, these could easily go to +20 to equal what 9" +25 is.
816435A6-FBFE-4B8C-A660-A0629345D38C.jpeg

These front wheels are as spot on to what the Titan 7 will look like in 19x8.5 +40. The rears the same protrusion/dish as the 19x9 +35. This is the OG BBS CI-R in the exact same size. So if you get the staggered setup on the group buy, this is the most identical look. Good, but it could be even better. BBS just offers limited fitments. (The silver circle is a stainless steel rim guard on that BBS uses against curb rash)
42625100_2156912497683717_3097891478890872832_o.jpg

My personal ideal fitment is made for the Alfa Romeo 4C rear wheels, but is a strange 5x98 bolt pattern. Titan 7 doesn't have these sitting around without bolt pattern drilled, so it would have to be a new production run. It is 19x9 +25. This is the same size/offset that Mountain Pass Performance has used on the front of their 3 with no rubbing even on coilovers before upgrading to 10" wheels up front. I know this is so close to the offering of 19x9 +35, but I don't want to buy great wheels and STILL run spacers front and rear. That's just crazy. Even if the 8.5" stays at the stock +40, what about bumping thie 19x9 option down to +25? Ask the people who have ordered already if they would be good with it. Again, I don't think they will be against it, and more orders will come in as a result. Also to note, these front 18x8 +30 are 4mm more concavity than 8.5 +40, so it is worth noting as a similar look. You can see that even 4mm makes a difference between this and the BBS above. These wheels extend 16mm beyond the stock Alfa wheels.
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 3.07.21 PM.png

For those that want a wide 18", buy the Titan 7 18x9" +28 for Mitsubishi Evo. It has a 67mm bore, so you could use a hub centric ring if you want to match up to the 3's 64.1, but you don't have to. Evasive will not mill them to fit the 70.5mm needed for the P+ cars and doing so "will void the manufacturer warranty".
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 3.13.01 PM.png

So @Xenoilphobe can buyers be asked if they'd want something more aggressive and amend this? Is it YOU that wants the wheels inward like stock? If so, keep the size you wanted and see about making a change to the others. 8.5" +20, 9" +25.

I’d be in for 19x9 +25 square... I think that could be the best compromise between range and looks. If not I’ll probably just look for Advans like on the MountainPass car or SSR wheels.

If I’m getting rimz for the Model3 it’s all about that flush fitment (how close you can get the fenders without rubbing) + that stance (a nice sporty low to the ground look).

Any way to remove my vote? I voted 19x9 +35 but there is no back to the drawing board option.

If Titan7 wants to 3d scan my wheel wells my car is available here in Socal... It also could help that when they 3d scan my car is going to be lowered on the MPP coilovers. (I know HRE 3d scans wheel wells for upcoming fitments)

Last edited:
Reactions: ppower
It has been brought up about wanting to race in SCCA D class. I don't understand this one. Put sticky tires (Potenza RE-71R) on your stock wheels for SCCA, and then use these as a good street or road course setup. P+ owners could go down to 19x8.5 +28. Others could go down to a 18x8.5 +33. Unless you are going to truly compete, this isn't even necessary. Just have fun auto crossing in whichever class you fall into. How many are going to spend $2000-2500 on these forged wheels, plus tires, and keep it stock height? Minuscule number who will get these to race SCCA D Street class. Enkei RPF1 are lighter and cheaper anyway. P+ owners can't use the 18's for SCCA Street nor limit to 8.5" width for road course track time. So again, the size doesn't compute for them.

For snow tires, 18" wheels are cheaper as are the tires. $400 cheaper than 19" wheels and about $50/tire cheaper. Might as well get a fitment that looks good since you're rolling in it all winter. This is most valuable to those that spent extra money on either P+ or MPP brakes, so it is odd to save that bit of money and spend all of the winter on that wheel/tire setup when you spent so much extra on the car/mod itself. A low offset 18 makes sense for people who want to use factory tires and keep it at that but with the more aggressive fit.

Guest, IDK. Having a P+, I figure that extra 3mm I have has me compromising to the rest of the masses as it is. ;) If I went custom offset, I'd get +20. The difference in "spray" from 35 to 30 to 25 would be tricky to quantify. Sure, it would be more than 9" +45 (OEM fitment). That does bring up something that I'm surprised to see no painted/molded splash guards, but I've read they are very detrimental to aerodynamics.

I'd totally be in for +25 offset as long as the scrub radius (and ultimately, handling and hub bearings) aren't impacted too much. Lowering the life expectancy of the overall setup wouldn't be worth it to me - so it would be good to discuss how it's impacted and possible solutions.

I have a deposit down for 19x9 +35 as well for a P3D-. I chose 19x9 +35 because it's simply the closest match to what I want that's available. I LOVE the more dished/concave look of lower offset and flush alignment w/the fenders - and that'd be my preference for sure if the above isn't too detrimental.

For anyone a little clueless w.r.t. offset, scrub radius, and so on here's an easy to understand explanation.

Last edited:
One final push for change, and then I'm done. While I don't want to create dissension, I also don't want to have to wait until after this group buy to start up something new. I really like these wheels, but the fitments just aren't right. @Xenoilphobe you started the poll with mostly stock offsets. People voted on what diameter or maybe width, but "Offset is Everything", and I really believe that people voted disregarding offset. I never cast a vote BECAUSE of the offsets.You set the sizes in stone in less than 2 weeks that felt like forever, but now it is stuck there for 6 months. Evasive wrote me that they also wish that the offsets were more aggressive, but due to the polling, these will be done in the mild offsets. Especially as an owner of a P+ with an extra 3mm of space to work with, 8.5" +40 wheels will actually recede 5mm inward compared to my 20x8.5 +35 and of course 3mm more inward than the regular brake cars will fit. Going the wrong direction, people! Offset can be a tricky thing to wrap your head around, and I'm of the opinion that many voting and even buying are seeing examples of cars with similar designs and more aggressive offset, then thinking that's what they'll receive in an 8.5" +40. It is going to be very flat. So if you've already placed an order for that width/offset wheel, understand what you are getting. Is that look what you expect? Sunken in the wheel well like the factory wheels and with a flat face. Is there a way to ask those who have ordered if they would be open to having a lower offset for greater concavity and more flush to the fenders? I GUARANTEE that even if a couple orders were lost, you'll gain tons more orders by others that are going to have to use VS Forged to get custom offset, milled for the P+, receive sooner, and same price. I like these just enough better that it's worth me putting up this "fight".

I already posted earlier, but here is 8.5" +25. Within the fender completely but low enough offset to have some dish. Really, these could easily go to +20 to equal what 9" +25 is.
View attachment 338551

These front wheels are as spot on to what the Titan 7 will look like in 19x8.5 +40. The rears the same protrusion/dish as the 19x9 +35. This is the OG BBS CI-R in the exact same size. So if you get the staggered setup on the group buy, this is the most identical look. Good, but it could be even better. BBS just offers limited fitments. (The silver circle is a stainless steel rim guard on that BBS uses against curb rash)
View attachment 338554

My personal ideal fitment is made for the Alfa Romeo 4C rear wheels, but is a strange 5x98 bolt pattern. Titan 7 doesn't have these sitting around without bolt pattern drilled, so it would have to be a new production run. It is 19x9 +25. This is the same size/offset that Mountain Pass Performance has used on the front of their 3 with no rubbing even on coilovers before upgrading to 10" wheels up front. I know this is so close to the offering of 19x9 +35, but I don't want to buy great wheels and STILL run spacers front and rear. That's just crazy. Even if the 8.5" stays at the stock +40, what about bumping thie 19x9 option down to +25? Ask the people who have ordered already if they would be good with it. Again, I don't think they will be against it, and more orders will come in as a result. Also to note, these front 18x8 +30 are 4mm more concavity than 8.5 +40, so it is worth noting as a similar look. You can see that even 4mm makes a difference between this and the BBS above. These wheels extend 16mm beyond the stock Alfa wheels.
View attachment 338555

For those that want a wide 18", buy the Titan 7 18x9" +28 for Mitsubishi Evo. It has a 67mm bore, so you could use a hub centric ring if you want to match up to the 3's 64.1, but you don't have to. Evasive will not mill them to fit the 70.5mm needed for the P+ cars and doing so "will void the manufacturer warranty".
View attachment 338556

So @Xenoilphobe can buyers be asked if they'd want something more aggressive and amend this? Is it YOU that wants the wheels inward like stock? If so, keep the size you wanted and see about making a change to the others. 8.5" +20, 9" +25.

i cant agree more. i saw the offsets and hope that when the model s group buy starts, we DONT get stock offsets. ive also sent @Xenoilphobe a pm with what i would be expecting. honestly if people are buying stock offset, just stick with your oem wheels lol