Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got these mounted!

PXL_20230424_180004678.jpg

I've got 52k miles on the stock MXM4s on my 2019 M3, and I'm shopping between the Ion Evo AS and the DWS06+. I don't drive fast, I don't need performance or A+ handling. Most days I drive like a granny 😄 My priorities are an all-season with efficiency at least as good as the MXM4s, and good, safe handling in the western NY winters. I'm leaning towards the Evos but the treads look pretty wimpy in all the pictures compared to the DWS06+. Did anyone get them when it was still snow season and has some winter driving experience?

BB Wheels has the right part Evo number that matches up with the Hankook site for 235/45R18 - 1033208 - but the title of the item has the wrong details. For example the title says 540AA but Hankook specs and people's pictures here show 600. Their price is less than anywhere else I've seen. These two things make me wonder if it's the right tire? Is BB Wheels reliable or am I going to end up with some hassle?

I've got 52k miles on the stock MXM4s on my 2019 M3, and I'm shopping between the Ion Evo AS and the DWS06+. I don't drive fast, I don't need performance or A+ handling. Most days I drive like a granny 😄 My priorities are an all-season with efficiency at least as good as the MXM4s, and good, safe handling in the western NY winters. I'm leaning towards the Evos but the treads look pretty wimpy in all the pictures compared to the DWS06+. Did anyone get them when it was still snow season and has some winter driving experience?

BB Wheels has the right part Evo number that matches up with the Hankook site for 235/45R18 - 1033208 - but the title of the item has the wrong details. For example the title says 540AA but Hankook specs and people's pictures here show 600. Their price is less than anywhere else I've seen. These two things make me wonder if it's the right tire? Is BB Wheels reliable or am I going to end up with some hassle?

I used their link to get a price match at discount tire. You can select the exact tire configuration you want on discount tire and then add a price match. I was able to get the exact hankook ion evo tires I needed (235 45 R18 with the correct load rating (98W?)) at $199.97 per and if you buy 4 tires, there is a $100 rebate from hankook that I believe is still going on. It was such a good deal I'm bought them even though I have a few thousand miles left on my current tires.

I used their link to get a price match at discount tire. You can select the exact tire configuration you want on discount tire and then add a price match. I was able to get the exact hankook ion evo tires I needed (235 45 R18 with the correct load rating (98W?)) at $199.97 per and if you buy 4 tires, there is a $100 rebate from hankook that I believe is still going on. It was such a good deal I'm bought them even though I have a few thousand miles left on my current tires.
Did they send tires with the diamond pattern on the side wall?

Some early results from my friend with the MX... Wh/mi dropped from an average of 439, to as low as 328, for the most recent 10 mile trip. It should be noted that today is warm and sunny, where-as most of those previous miles have been during winter.

View attachment 930411

I am hoping to get my Model S back tomorrow.
I'd say that is an insignificant test. He would need to go at least a few hundred miles under the same conditions as the previous tires to compare. In my case, I went many hundred miles on these new Hankook tires and saw a marginal improvement in range efficiency. I noticed they are a bit quieter on these terrible concrete roads in some areas up here.

Reactions: outdoors

It's very unlikely that the DWS06+ will match MXM4 efficiency. Up until EV specific tires, no alternative tire equals the efficiency of MXM4---after all, if there was one, Tesla would use it to get the best EPA numbers possible. And it's not known exactly if the new EV tires equal it though the Hankook probably will.

I think there's a significant tradeoff between winter performance and every day efficiency, and it's just physics. Fat treads with lots of space in between make more noise and are less efficient (because they distort more under load). Close to a flat, low tread tire is better for efficiency, but worse for snow or ice. Also the material itself makes a difference but that's harder to see.

Western New York winter is serious.

Understood re: reviews - this one here was interesting to me and the comments from author in the YouTube comments thread. Interesting to learn about their new Cambodia factory and the state of art process used to make the Erange. After watching this it pushed me off the hump and decided to give it a try. I'm day 3 into these tires and no regrets. I wanted the Hankook Ion's originally but they were no where to be found + double the price and even more then the OEM Contis here (1010 tire quote).

You can't judge a tire on 3 days...

wow good vid...i think efficiency is important...more so then noise but close on both. Now i am down to a few choices..the cross climate 2/ pirelli as ev/goodyear gt ev/hankook ion evo....

If efficiency is important, note that the CrossClimate2 had something like 11% worse efficiency compared to the Primacy MXM4 in a Tire Rack test (using a Model 3 as the test car). That is apparently the cost for getting better performance generally than the Primacy MXM4.

In terms of efficiency, the accounts here are pretty anecdotal. It is difficult for a a single owner to test accurately for efficiency since it is hard to control for the many other factors that affect mileage per unit of energy used. For one thing, as others have pointed out, the informal evaluations given here by owners are often done very early after buying a new tire, which does not give an accurate comparison against previous tires that are past the initial wear-in stage.

I do appreciate the anecdotal evidence though, since if you add up all the data points, you get at least some overall indication, assuming owners are being at least somewhat accurate and rigorous in their assessments. But I wish there was more controlled technical field testing done of tires by automotive experts. There is some available, but not enough.

Reactions: XPsionic
Don't use cheap Chinese tires, there's not a single brand that's good as of today. Will probably change in the future.

A lot of them simply copy the thread design of other brands on the surface, without the correct engineering behind the rubber compounds. Most of them are absolutely terrible when it is wet and cold out. I bought a used car with Ling Long tires and they were borderline scary whenever it rained.

I bought a new travel trailer that came from the factory with some garbage Chinese tires, I think they were Castle Rock brand.

Anyway there’s a tire shop about three miles from the RV dealer so that was the first stop with the new toy for some fresh Goodyears.

You can have a lot of dodgy crap on a vehicle but you’ve gotta have good tires and brakes.

In terms of efficiency, the accounts here are pretty anecdotal. It is difficult for a a single owner to test accurately for efficiency since it is hard to control for the many other factors that affect mileage per unit of energy used. For one thing, as others have pointed out, the informal evaluations given here by owners are often done very early after buying a new tire, which does not give an accurate comparison against previous tires that are past the initial wear-in stage.

I do appreciate the anecdotal evidence though, since if you add up all the data points, you get at least some overall indication, assuming owners are being at least somewhat accurate and rigorous in their assessments. But I wish there was more controlled technical field testing done of tires by automotive experts. There is some available, but not enough.

In Europe they have machines that measure the rolling resistance, and sometimes get reported on tire reviews. That won't get aerodynamics (which is a much more difficult problem) but will get the majority of tire-related efficiency.

In Europe they have machines that measure the rolling resistance, and sometimes get reported on tire reviews. That won't get aerodynamics (which is a much more difficult problem) but will get the majority of tire-related efficiency.
According to this Hankook iON evo vs Michelin Pilot Sport 5: New EV tire from Hankook!, the summer version of the ion evo's have a CRR of 0.0062 vs. 0.0077 for the PS5's. Note that both of these are summer tires and I believe the summer tires have a better CRR than the all seasons (or at least they got some additional rating from the EU whereas the AS did not IIRC), but perhaps it gives you some reference.

According to this Hankook iON evo vs Michelin Pilot Sport 5: New EV tire from Hankook!, the summer version of the ion evo's have a CRR of 0.0062 vs. 0.0077 for the PS5's. Note that both of these are summer tires and I believe the summer tires have a better CRR than the all seasons (or at least they got some additional rating from the EU whereas the AS did not IIRC), but perhaps it gives you some reference.
Would love to see the ION Evo summer tire here in North America. I don't need all season where I live and a bit more grip would be welcome.

Reactions: DrChaos
Anyway there’s a tire shop about three miles from the RV dealer so that was the first stop with the new toy for some fresh Goodyears.

You can have a lot of dodgy crap on a vehicle but you’ve gotta have good tires and brakes.
Just hope they weren't Goodyear marathon tires. Most trailer folks think those are as bad as Chinese tires. First thing I did was put truck tires on my trailer. Did a couple hundred thousand in towing an airstream. Love truck tires vs. towing tires. Have to do some research on the fit, but trailer tires by definition are poor for those that do anything more than 2 weeks a year.

My towing days ended this week, but size up to a truck tire if it will fit.

For example the tires that came with this great trailer are crap. Yet I will sell trailer in one year.
PXL_20230425_214747248.MP.jpg