Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harrisburg or Allentown PA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm driving tomorrow from North Jersey to Gettysburg PA. Trying to figure out if it's best to supercharge in Allentown or Harrisburg. Which one is better for a bathroom break and a snack/coffee? Especially if it's going to be late in the day. Around 10PM or so.

evtripplanner is telling me to stop at Allentown (I have 60D), but I think I could stretch it to Harrisburg starting with 100% if needed. I'm just thinking that would give me more allowance for driving around a few days at destination before heading back on Sunday.

Any pointers?
Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: Electric1
Allentown is in a nice shopping center and basically in the parking lot of a Red Robin (Yum!) Should be able to find plenty of places to grab a bite there.

Harrisburg is about the same, but the food selections (To me) are just eh. Wendy's, which I'm not a fan of, and Outback and Texas Roadhouse, if you're looking for a longer meal.

Not sure how North in NJ you are, but I picked Morristown. Looking at EVtripplanner, you could make it the entire way without charging (174 rated miles) so I think you'd be fine to charge at either spot to give you some driving around miles.

Thank you all for suggestions. I'm more north than Morristown, effectively almost next to Paramus SpC. Looks like 95 miles to Allentown and around 170 to Harrisburg. It does sound though that Allentown is more appealing and my daughter will porobably need a break by then anyway. I just need to deside if I need a quick boost at Harrisburg as well to give me a buffer for return. Sounds like by mileage I'll have to stop by Harrisburg on way back anyway.

P.S. this will be my first road trip and first supercharger use.

right up the hill at Harrisburg is a Sheetz which generally has cleaner bathrooms than most gas stations around here and it's 24/7 with food and drinks. There's also a Starbucks but I don't think they're open late. I believe it also has some spots to sit and relax.

I use both often. For late night i would take HBG because there is a 24 hr Sheetz and Waffle house. 2r hr. Duncan and Diner in Allentown are afarther walk. Otherwise pretty equal. HBG sometimes charges a bit faster and your battery will be lower SOC and therefore will charge faster.

I live in York, PA. I've used both SCs. Both are decent choices. Your available range may well determine which one you need to use. If range isn't an issue I would use Harrisburg for the reasons already stated by others.

Not too far from Gettysburg is a Tesla destination charger in New Oxford. There is nice, small town shopping nearby and a great coffee shop. PlugShare link: Redbud House Redbud House | New Oxford, PA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

I live in York and have a NEMA 14-50 in our garage. We will be in and out over the weekend, but you're welcome to reach out to me if you would like to use our charger.

Have a great weekend!

Reactions: madodel and Vad42
I live in York and have a NEMA 14-50 in our garage. We will be in and out over the weekend, but you're welcome to reach out to me if you would like to use our charger.

This. Right here. Is the prime example of what makes Tesla community different and stand out. Love being part of it. I think we should be fine but thank you for the kind offer. I'll keep it mind just in case of emergency.

This. Right here. Is the prime example of what makes Tesla community different and stand out. Love being part of it. I think we should be fine but thank you for the kind offer. I'll keep it mind just in case of emergency.

I am also in York County near Wrightsville along the Susquehanna River. I have a HPWC and a NEMA 14-50 which you are welcome to use if you have a problem. My house is listed on Plugshare.

I live in York, PA. I've used both SCs. Both are decent choices. Your available range may well determine which one you need to use. If range isn't an issue I would use Harrisburg for the reasons already stated by others.

Not too far from Gettysburg is a Tesla destination charger in New Oxford. There is nice, small town shopping nearby and a great coffee shop. PlugShare link: Redbud House Redbud House | New Oxford, PA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Have a great weekend!
I live about 1 mile from the New Oxford charger, if you would have an issue charging there, you can reach out to me as well if you would like to use my charger.

I wound up stopping at both. Allentown for bathroom break, and Harrisburg for coffee ( got free!? cup at Sheetz - not sure why ;)) and to have enough buffer for 3 days. Considering that just roundrip from Harrisburg to my destination is 100 miles, seemed quite necessary if I don't manage to charge anywhere else.

Reactions: madodel