Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone done a full WRAP on their new model S P85 yet? I have...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say the BEST part of this is that it might be the first white out there with its rocker panels now perfectly resolved - that little chrome under the lower edge of the doors (what IS that? The battery pack peeking out?), to me, REALLY detracts from the profile of white and silver Model Ss (although it looks cool on dark colors).

Nice, thorough job, in any event.

I agree with Holden -- this totally validates my thinking that I want to have that rocker panel chrome blacked out. Really improves the lines of the car.

I also really like the combination of the gloss black on the mirror support strut with the CF on the lower part of the mirror. That's a great look.

So what's maintenance like with these matte films?

Wow, thank you all for your nice comments on my new baby! My boss saw my car today and told me that I need to park the car AWAY from my dealership (I work for Porsche) because he is concerned that if any potential Panamera customers see my car then they will want a Tesla A instead...hah!

To answer some of your questions...the wrap cost $3k through Unique Auto Films in Reseda, CA, the brakes were relatively inexpensive at $375 through Globe Tire in Los Angeles, CA, the window tint was $295 through my internal guy at the dealership

The blacked out chrome have all been painted high gloss black (not a wrap) and the emblems are painted "red" as well.

The most important thing you can do to assure a "good wrap" is to take off as many parts as possible from the car...these guys had so much of my car apart it was scary (all window trim pieces, both bumpers, door panels, rear spoiler, etc. etc) And it took a full 7 days to complete!

- - - Updated - - -

Is it expensive to paint the brakes red? I love that look! Did you also do the REGEN brake in the rear or just the brakes?

No, No...just the actual brakes....you never want to highlight the parking brake! The nice thing is that they also somehow got me a TESLA logo decal for the brakes....just like Porsche!

Whats does this do to the paint underneath? If u take it off will it hurt the paint underneath? How much does a wrap like that cost? Can u do gloss finishes as well? I have a black P85 that's get nicks here and there because no body armor? Can I get a clear coat to protect the car?

- - - Updated - - -

Whats does this do to the paint underneath? If u take it off will it hurt the paint underneath? How much does a wrap like that cost? Can u do gloss finishes as well? I have a black P85 that's get nicks here and there because no body armor? Can I get a clear coat to protect the car?

Sorry didnt see above post. Still curious what it does to the existing paint job if u want to take off?

I agree with Holden -- this totally validates my thinking that I want to have that rocker panel chrome blacked out. Really improves the lines of the car.

Glad someone else noticed that. If I had a silver or white Model S (and I love silver cars, so that's what it would probably be), I'd have to hit that chrome strip IMMEDIATELY - probably with Plast-Dip.

And, seriously, once again: what IS that? Is it in fact a little peek-a-boo of the battery pack?

Ahhhhhh the beauty of a vinyl wrap...the wrap adheres to the paint via built in adhesive that is activated by a heat gun when applying the wrap. If you no longer want the wrap simply peel it off and remove excess adhesive with an adhesive remover like "goo-be-gone" or paint thinner with a 70% water dilution. The original paint is as good as new beneath and you are fully protected from any chips similar to a 3m clear bra. I love mine so far....

Does anyone know whose car this is?

nice model s.png

I'm going to be doing the same thing to mine next week -- blacking it out, and I was wondering what was used to do the blacking out. I've changed my mind and I'm going with glass black instead of matte black after seeing this pic.

Zax,

This is exactly the look I'm looking for. Can't wait to see yours being done.

Well, I'm doing it on Tuesday next week (along with the CF on the nosecone and the cheap plastic undercarriage bits), so I'll be sure to take some pics! I still have to find a window tinting place...

And... this car was originally white!!!

just kidding

LOL!

Looks really nice PorscheDealer. I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to these wraps, how do they address things like door jambs, or around the inside of the trunk/frunk? Is it still black paint in those areas or are they able to cover those "inside" portions as well? I guess I'm wondering if it looks pretty much like a factory paint job when you've got the doors open.