Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla stopped 8.0 updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sbtz

Jan 18, 2016
CA
I picked up my car two weeks ago and am still on 7.1 (which is apparently not a bad thing at all) -- it seems like the flow of 8.0 updates has either slowed to a trickle or stopped altogether, perhaps due to all of the complaints and issues?

Has anyone gotten an 8.0 update within the past couple of weeks?

Updates are still trickling out slowly. You can monitor this yourself at the site referenced here Firmware Upgrade Tracker . Check the Updates by VIN range to see how cars in your VIN range are doing.

Note that only about 1% of the owners participate so numbers for the whole fleet are likely significantly larger.

Are you connecting your car to WiFi regularly (at home or at work)? This considerably improves the odds of getting an update, especially a larger one as is likely the case for 8.0. Even without WiFi, you will eventually get the update over LTE. In the early days of the 8.0 rollout there was clear evidence that WiFi connected cars got priority (I got my update as soon as I was back from a 5 day road trip and connected to my home WiFi). Maybe someone at Tesla forgot to turn that off?

No one has ever figured out the method Tesla uses to decide when specific cars get updates or why some cars get multiple updates with "minor" bug fixes in one month while others wait several months. Tesla has acknowledged that they deploy monitoring code to collect data (e.g. training data) and they may also do A-B testing. Clearly this drives the frequent smaller updates. Major changes or serious bug fixes get pushed out quickly, but Elon stated that 8.0 was going to be slower to handle all the configuration (hardware) differences. This was as much as a month with 7.0 when the fleet was smaller.

Updates are still trickling out slowly. You can monitor this yourself at the site referenced here Firmware Upgrade Tracker . Check the Updates by VIN range to see how cars in your VIN range are doing.

Note that only about 1% of the owners participate so numbers for the whole fleet are likely significantly larger.

Are you connecting your car to WiFi regularly (at home or at work)? This considerably improves the odds of getting an update, especially a larger one as is likely the case for 8.0. Even without WiFi, you will eventually get the update over LTE. In the early days of the 8.0 rollout there was clear evidence that WiFi connected cars got priority (I got my update as soon as I was back from a 5 day road trip and connected to my home WiFi). Maybe someone at Tesla forgot to turn that off?

No one has ever figured out the method Tesla uses to decide when specific cars get updates or why some cars get multiple updates with "minor" bug fixes in one month while others wait several months. Tesla has acknowledged that they deploy monitoring code to collect data (e.g. training data) and they may also do A-B testing. Clearly this drives the frequent smaller updates. Major changes or serious bug fixes get pushed out quickly, but Elon stated that 8.0 was going to be slower to handle all the configuration (hardware) differences. This was as much as a month with 7.0 when the fleet was smaller.

Mine has been on wifi virtually 24/7 since I picked it up (I'm using a Verizon hotspot in my car) - I was thinking about turning it off just to change things up o_O. Judging by people's reactions so far, maybe I should consider myself lucky to still be on 7.1 - but it does feel weird to be left out.

Mine has been on wifi virtually 24/7 since I picked it up (I'm using a Verizon hotspot in my car) - I was thinking about turning it off just to change things up o_O. Judging by people's reactions so far, maybe I should consider myself lucky to still be on 7.1 - but it does feel weird to be left out.
Not sure how smart the Tesla servers are about detecting the bandwidth to your car. If the hotspot is still LTE, just Verizon's rather than ATT, at one level you have fooled the car into thinking it is connected to WiFi, but you haven't changed the bandwidth dramatically when compared to cable or FIOS. Most likely it is one of the unknown other reasons driving Tesla's rollout decision, but you never know.

I picked up my car 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for 8.0. At this point, I've given up rubbing my hands feeling anxious about not getting it.

More importantly, I'm still waiting for my license plates...o_O

I have the yellow clock status icon and have to x out the install dialog every morning so that the functionality of my car isn't downgraded. Really hope they fix the the media player soon. I want automatic cabin cooling but now that winter is approaching I can get away without having it for another 5 months.

8.0 is following the same pattern as previous releases.

It gets distributed in a seemingly random order to batches of cars, until a major problem is encountered. Distribution is halted for days or weeks until the problems are fixed, and the process starts over again.

As I recall, it has taken several months before I've received some of the major updates.

Today was the first time I've been been to the service center without getting an update. I'm on 2.36.108 and didn't get the latest update even though the API reported I was in service. I'm guessing they have updates paused until they get a new version ready.

Man, it was rough sitting in the showroom waiting around and watching the sales rep sell the new autopilot to everyone. I had to keep telling myself just be happy you have a Tesla. They were showing the video to people but were very good about telling people it was pretty far off before it would become a reality.

• Love
Reactions: Snerruc
I don't think updates have stopped completely, because I got 2.40.21 at my service center on Thursday. That was an upgrade from 2.36.108. FWIW, so far I haven't noticed any changes. My DLR were off when I picked up the car, but maybe a service tech did that.

It's possible that only certain VIN ranges or configurations "need" 2.40.21.

Has anyone gone from 7.1 -> 8.0 lately? I'm now almost three weeks out from delivery and my last update - maybe Tesla is updating people already on 8.0 to newer builds, but not moving anyone from 7.1 -> 8.0 until they iron out any issues...

8.0 is absolutely fantastic, you'll love it when you get it (maybe push SC for manual install?).
I've found AP to be better and the new media system is years ahead of the old one, looks amazing.

• Funny
Reactions: mrElbe