Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the M3P ruined me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my Porsche 996TT even before I started having it modified for some fun track days. Lots of modifications to make it "just right" for me both at the track and cruising for fun. I vowed I would NEVER EVER get an electric vehicle. Ohhhhh how wrong was I!

We got our 2022 M3LR back in August and I absolutely LOVE IT! Two VERY different cars and two VERY different experiences. Both are supremely fun but my Porsche is something I take seldomly compared to our M3LR. I have not taken or driven a Tesla M3P or LR to the track so I cannot comment but I can tell you I will probably never sell my Porsche. I probably will never sell our M3LR until it is time ;) .

We are a two Porsche vehicle family and were going to be a three Pcar family when COVID hit and messed up the 981 Cayman S market....booo hissssss.

We absolutely love all our vehicles for various reasons but the M3LR simply gets the most use (commuter, fun weekend car, inexpensive to operate relative to our others)....if TOTAL TIME spent in a car is any indication our M3LR is our Go To vehicle!

Reactions: enemji
so, I figured out a hack.....drive the 718 first thing in the morning. 😅

took it out this morning for a wash and see if it felt any different....it did feel better and like her old self, but my god, it is insane how different it is from that instant go juice from the M3P....the mistake I made yesterday was taking her out right after a drive in the Tesla....I literally thought something was wrong with it :oops:

It still has a purpose as it is still fun to shift gears manually and look good doing it, but it is incredible how different ICE vs EV feels back to back.

btw, Porsche has announce the next generation Cayman will be full EV..... Can't wait!

took some snaps yesterday....
View attachment 913491

View attachment 913497

View attachment 913498
GORGEOUS!!!!

so, I figured out a hack.....drive the 718 first thing in the morning. 😅

took it out this morning for a wash and see if it felt any different....it did feel better and like her old self, but my god, it is insane how different it is from that instant go juice from the M3P....the mistake I made yesterday was taking her out right after a drive in the Tesla....I literally thought something was wrong with it :oops:

It still has a purpose as it is still fun to shift gears manually and look good doing it, but it is incredible how different ICE vs EV feels back to back.

btw, Porsche has announce the next generation Cayman will be full EV..... Can't wait!

took some snaps yesterday....
View attachment 913491

View attachment 913497

View attachment 913498
Adding my 987 - Love the color and the 718 is a nice restyle of original. My girl turned 15 last month.
tempImagemzsj1v.png

I think people compare 0-60 as it's an easy metric (and a bit dated imo). 0-100 is where you see real differences:D.
I think the 5-60 is a good urban and suburban metric. 0-100-0 is a good metric for fun runs.

The ease of one pedal driving in heavy traffic has spoiled me as much as the torque slam. I used to despise traffic in my big turbo/heavy SUV. Now, it not a big deal. Driving is so much easier with one “gear” and instant power. No more punch the gas, wait a second, lurch, hit the brakes. 4 steps get distilled into 1 smooth pedal press and release.

For those who have experience the direct connection between a manual transmission in a proper sporty car, it will be something that is missing in an electric vehicle. While the EV is actually more of a direct connection, it is the clutch and shifting of gears that is so involving and engaging. Downside is the misery of driving them in stop and go traffic, or toddling around busy urban environments where the thrill is mostly gone.

Fear not...Elon is still moving forward (slowly, with the long anticipated New Coupe. This is designed to bring back the joy and exhilaration inherent in high powered sporty cars. Should have great power, sharp reflexes, beautiful design, awsome handling, instant response, etc. If that is not enough, some will also check off the SpaceX option with cold air thrusters. Should be enought to bring back that joy of driving many of us miss with the phasing out of manual transmissions. In Elon speak, the ultimate multi speed transmission is no multi speed transmission :)

Personally I'm more excited about the upcoming Porsche Cayman/Boxster EV than the Tesla Roadster. The Taycan is already getting rave reviews from driving enthusiasts, and it's a big heavy beast! Just imagine Porsche trimming 1000lb off the weight of that and packaging it in a 2 seater format, it's gonna be awesome to drive.

Roadster might or might not ever be released, I'm sure it'll bring absolutely world dominating performance if it ever does, but as it is today, Plaid S kind of acceleration is already way too fast for enjoyable street/mountain road drives unless you like to make everyone in the car vomit or completely ignore the speed limits and be a public menace.

The experience of ICE sports cars with manual and a great engine note will simply not be replicated by any EV, but EV sports cars will come and they'll have insanely low center of gravity, amazing steering and throttle response, possible active side to side torque vectoring with dual motors... it'll be a great experience as well I'm sure. Not to mention faster and more environmentally friendly.

Reactions: pipestem
Personally I'm more excited about the upcoming Porsche Cayman/Boxster EV than the Tesla Roadster. The Taycan is already getting rave reviews from driving enthusiasts, and it's a big heavy beast! Just imagine Porsche trimming 1000lb off the weight of that and packaging it in a 2 seater format, it's gonna be awesome to drive.

Roadster might or might not ever be released, I'm sure it'll bring absolutely world dominating performance if it ever does, but as it is today, Plaid S kind of acceleration is already way too fast for enjoyable street/mountain road drives unless you like to make everyone in the car vomit or completely ignore the speed limits and be a public menace.

The experience of ICE sports cars with manual and a great engine note will simply not be replicated by any EV, but EV sports cars will come and they'll have insanely low center of gravity, amazing steering and throttle response, possible active side to side torque vectoring with dual motors... it'll be a great experience as well I'm sure. Not to mention faster and more environmentally friendly.
Totally agree. I recently got rid of my 981 Cayman when the used car values were sky-high to start saving up for a Cayman EV. Combining the power of an EV drivetrain with the Cayman chassis and driving dynamics will be fantastic. Am hoping they really get the weight down to provide the feeling of a true Porsche sports car.

Dunno just took the old girl out and gave her a beating today. There is something about the power and feel of a NA Porsche engine in the cool spring air that makes it a joy to drive. I would even argue that it hits a different note in the exhaust than during the summer months (or maybe its that I spent too much time driving MYLR around). I can't let that one go.

Reactions: XPsionic
Dunno just took the old girl out and gave her a beating today. There is something about the power and feel of a NA Porsche engine in the cool spring air that makes it a joy to drive. I would even argue that it hits a different note in the exhaust than during the summer months (or maybe its that I spent too much time driving MYLR around). I can't let that one go.
60F is sweet spot temperature for a smooth NA engine, like my M54 on the ZHP. The cold/cool air provides a beautiful power without any compressors.

We're in agreement, I've also got an NA Porsche and I'm not selling it because I love how it feels. I don't think I'd sell it for the new Porsche EV sportscar no matter how good it is going to be.

All I'm saying is that I'm not scared or worried about the future of having EV sports cars one bit, they're gonna be amazing fun. Different doesn't mean better or worse IMO. I think a lot of people focus on particulars instead of the overall experience. If we wanna focus on engine noise, or things to do with our hands and feet, yeah, EVs are worse. But having instant response from the accelerator in an EV, the always "ON" trail braking of regen, the naturally lower center of gravity, those count for something too in terms of driving pleasure. For some people the pros and cons of the different cars will mean they prefer one to the other, from my experience of owning a manual NA mid engine Porsche and the lightest weight model 3... I think a light weight EV Porsche will probably be great.

We're in agreement, I've also got an NA Porsche and I'm not selling it because I love how it feels. I don't think I'd sell it for the new Porsche EV sportscar no matter how good it is going to be.

All I'm saying is that I'm not scared or worried about the future of having EV sports cars one bit, they're gonna be amazing fun. Different doesn't mean better or worse IMO. I think a lot of people focus on particulars instead of the overall experience. If we wanna focus on engine noise, or things to do with our hands and feet, yeah, EVs are worse. But having instant response from the accelerator in an EV, the always "ON" trail braking of regen, the naturally lower center of gravity, those count for something too in terms of driving pleasure. For some people the pros and cons of the different cars will mean they prefer one to the other, from my experience of owning a manual NA mid engine Porsche and the lightest weight model 3... I think a light weight EV Porsche will probably be great.
If you want to catch a little bit of what an ev track day is like watch a formula e event. They have 250 kw batteries now and are still managing power through the event to have juice at the end.

Reactions: enemji
I had a 991 Turbo S. On paper faster than an M3P but in the real world the M3P is faster because of waiting for PDK and turbos. I sold my Turbo S once my wife got her Y because it was clear it was an ICE car cosplaying as an EV.

The only ICE cars I want are way slower, and my next ICE car will be a GR Corolla. Manual without too much power is the only reason to have an ICE road car now.

There's actually no reason to own a gas car anymore. Those days are over when you've been driving electric for 8+ years and there's absolutely no going back.

Reactions: cdub
There's actually no reason to own a gas car anymore. Those days are over when you've been driving electric for 8+ years and there's absolutely no going back.
I still have a 96 Merc SL ragtop I keep for nostalgic reasons. 37,000 miles on her in mint condition. Hopefully my daughter will take good as good care of her after I pass. That being said, will be really nice when someone comes out with a ragtop EV sports car a la Miata style. Something affordable in the 60,000 range. Do not need or want a 120,000+ $ Porsche

I think the throttle response of the P3D has ruined me for any other gas car. The instant and devastating delivery of power at any speed is incomparable. Other cars look better and are more fun to drive from a handling point of view. And there is something to be said for the visceral experience of revving an engine and shifting through the gears in a car with an 8k+ redline... but nothing responds like an EV.

Very true, but not really the point….

Point was is that after driving the M3P even my Porsche now feels like a car that goes 0-60 in 9 seconds 😅
speaking of 9[.8] seconds -

My son has a Prius to door dash in - its a 9.8 calendar to 60.

We took them to a big empty parking lot and I could take my M3P from 0-60-0-60 in slightly less time than his Prius to get from 0-60!!

Reactions: abioqaas
Try FSD, it will ruin you from wanting to drive.

I use to love hitting the twisties, but monitoring FSD and looking at the views is more enjoyable.
Everyone has a preference I guess, but this couldn't be further from the truth for me. I cannot stand FSD. The only occasions I would use it is on long road trips. I enjoy driving and FSD is like being a passenger in your own car, constantly frustrated with the 'driver' and how he's driving.

Reactions: ngng and XPsionic
Everyone has a preference I guess, but this couldn't be further from the truth for me. I cannot stand FSD. The only occasions I would use it is on long road trips. I enjoy driving and FSD is like being a passenger in your own car, constantly frustrated with the 'driver' and how he's driving.

Ha! Exactly...I only have EAP on mine, but the few times I used it it felt awkward to me. I'm a horrible backseat driver so that might be why 😅 The car is too fun not to drive it yourself

• Love
Reactions: tm1v2 and derekmw