Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you lost faith in Tesla?

Have you lost faith in Tesla?

• No

Votes: 295 59.5%
  • Nearly

Votes: 94 19.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 107 21.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Distance 1-3 are too close to the car in front for anyone sensible. If you drive that close to the car in front on a driving test, you’d fail. If anything I think it needs a 8-12 adding as well. If people left proper gaps, there would be far less accidents AND traffic would flow better.
If you used to enjoy the thrill of driving at above 85mph within 1 car length of the car in front I can see how that's been crippled.
TACC measures distance in seconds of following time, not car lengths.

I don't know why 1 second was even in there in the first place given that it's only a level 2 system and requires active driver supervision. Seems odd that you can set a car that will handover to you with zero notice to drive so close to the car in front that you're inside the fairly universally accepted 2 second safe following gap.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
The first one is irrelevant, the maximum speed on a U.K. road is 70mph

Distance 1-3 are too close to the car in front for anyone sensible. If you drive that close to the car in front on a driving test, you’d fail. If anything I think it needs a 8-12 adding as well. If people left proper gaps, there would be far less accidents AND traffic would flow better.

The third one does happen more often but it’s not exactly crippling. It’s usually the auto wipers not keeping up with driving past a lorry and all the extra spray it kicks up during very heavy rain.

It’s worse in a very specific circumstance but everywhere else it’s better than the vision+radar version from The fist half of this year. For example the old radar version used to panic when changing into lane 2 from 3 when there was a lorry in lane 1. That never happens now.
but that's the point.

If you have functionality and at any point it is not the same (something is taken away) then it is reduced. simples.

Speaking for myself I’ve posted numerous negative comments about Tesla on topics like the wipers and the way they’ve handled USS removal etc and nobody’s ever objected or called me those things.

Of course I say things along the lines of ‘the way they’ve done it is terrible customer service but if they can’t get hold of the components and they were planning to move to a non USS solution at some point anyway then I guess I can see why’.

What I haven’t done is storm in with a massive hate-boner for Elon Musk then roll around on the floor hanging a toddler tantrum. Perhaps that’s the difference.
Could you provide examples of anyone who has done this? You know, to justify the hyperbole?

but that's the point.

If you have functionality and at any point it is not the same (something is taken away) then it is reduced. simples.
So functionality which was illegal or unsafe to use was taken away and that’s a problem? Right.

Surely you’d be grateful if tons of Tesla’s were not right up your chuff Audi/BMW style when cruising down the motorway.

I don't know why 1 second was even in there in the first place given that it's only a level 2 system and requires active driver supervision. Seems odd that you can set a car that will handover to you with zero notice to drive so close to the car in front that you're inside the fairly universally accepted 2 second safe following gap.
That’s a myth I’m afraid, it’s certainly not in seconds. At 70mph you are covering over 31 meters per second.

If 7 meant 7 seconds, the car in front would be 217 meters in front of you, trust me, it isn’t.

Distance 7 is only just over a 2 second gap most of the time. The actual distance seems to be quite dynamic depending on what the cars around you are doing. Auto pilot also ramps up its speed fairly conservatively as traffic ahead speeds up.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
That’s a myth I’m afraid, it’s certainly not in seconds. At 70mph you are covering over 31 meters per second.

If 7 meant 7 seconds, the car in front would be 217 meters in front of you, trust me, it isn’t.

Distance 7 is only just over a 2 second gap most of the time. The actual distance seems to be quite dynamic depending on what the cars around you are doing. Auto pilot also ramps up its speed fairly conservatively as traffic ahead speeds up.
Interesting. What the manual actually says is:
Each setting corresponds to a time-based distance that represents how long it takes for Model Y, from its current location, to reach the location of the rear bumper of the vehicle ahead of you. Your setting is retained until you manually change it.

I admit I assumed the units were seconds, but now you point it out I have it set to 4 and since that that feels right it probably equates to somewhere near 2 seconds - I spent years being trained by the radar cruise control in my VW (which explicitly was in seconds). I stand corrected.

Reactions: BitJam and boombap
So functionality which was illegal or unsafe to use was taken away and that’s a problem? Right.

Surely you’d be grateful if tons of Tesla’s were not right up your chuff Audi/BMW style when cruising down the motorway.

If the functionality was illegal or unsafe it should never have been available in the first place.

Tesla were presumably convinced that driving at the old minimum distance on AP was safe. They increased the distance when the radar was disabled, and the only inference I can take from this is that vision only is less safe. That doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Reactions: CWT3LR

In my US Model 3, distance was never specified anywhere except as “time-based” with no further details. Anecdotally my car seemed to equate to ½ seconds, so “4” was a 2-second interval and so on, and being time-based the actual distance varied proportionally to speed…exactly as desired. That was early on in 2018, could have changed since, or been wrong to begin with…doesn’t really matter, just like there’s nothing precise about cooking hob control or audio volume knobs. But the “1” following distance was and remains especially useful in one very common case here: stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper high-volume traffic. A setting of “2” or greater yields too large a gap between you and the car in front, permitting another car, tractor-trailer rig, bus, lorry, lost ocean liner, low-flying cropduster, whatever, to cut in. While that never bothered me too much, it REALLY irks the driver/drivers behind me who explain their displeasure with easily-read mono-syllabic lip movements and very communicative single-digit hand signals. This is one of the key reasons I’ve stayed on v2022.20.8 software, the last software version for my vehicle before DoofusVision took over removing that following option and other things. Yes, I could shut off AP and drive in these conditions manually, but frankly, this is where AP shines, working just exceedingly well. That is until the “1” following distance was deprecated.

legal or illegal, it's not the point.

- Previously I could use AP at the speed of 90 mph in autobahn. Now It's limited to 85.
- The distances in the similar systems are the same as it WAS in AP before TV patch. Why> Because it was industry standard. WITH RADAR. But hey, TV is better (said no one) therefore let's have it worse. You need those smaller gaps, as mentioned above, in traffic bumper-to-bumper situations. Even worse, AP based TACC/AP actually is slower to react to traffic movement and has sharper acceleration/brakes than radar one.

the whole point is, that with the update you get some stupid gimmick like light show or fart noise via app but it phuqs up some other essential thing.

Like the old song:
I have 1 tiny little bug in my code. I find the bug, patch the bug, I have 99 tiny little bugs in the code.

Reactions: Mr Puzzles
You are claiming that it's 'crippled', rather than saying that it's no loss at all because these ends of the capability were neither convenient or legal to use.

What you should be saying is that removing radar has had no effect on normal use of AutoPilot.
it is LEGAL and SAFE to use small gaps in traffic situations.
it is LEGAL and SAFE to drive >85 mph in autobahn in Germany

It actually HAS effect on normal use of autopilot. Gaps are now "fluctuating" a bit, car accelerates later and sharper and stops sharper in start-stop traffic situations than it was with radar.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
it is LEGAL and SAFE to use small gaps in traffic situations.
it is LEGAL and SAFE to drive >85 mph in autobahn in Germany

It actually HAS effect on normal use of autopilot. Gaps are now "fluctuating" a bit, car accelerates later and sharper and stops sharper in start-stop traffic situations than it was with radar.
But it's not 'crippled' to any reasonable persons understanding of the term.

New Y owner, and given this thread seems to be currently focussed on ACC a couple of quick questions?
Does anyone elses ACC slow down / stop every time you pass a parked car? In previous cars (volvo's and Skodas) i've used ACC in all traffic conditions, but in the Y it's unusable on a road with parked cars. Is t down to the settings I have configured?
If I have ACC active and the car in front stops, then the car will stop me at least 2 car lengths behind. Is there a way to reduce this? It doesn't seem to matter what gap I have the ACC set to
Does Cruise work above 85mph? I know the ACC doesn't, but can it still be used as dumb non adaptive cruise?

Apologies as I realise this is off topic, and If needed I can start a new thread.

Reactions: yessuz
Based on my own knowledge and experience, if I had to invest in some companies right now in this economic climate, it would be Tesco, Sainsbury and Walmart. How boring is that?

People need to eat though
:)
Since this post, we've had 1 full trading day (plus 1 hr today on the FTSE)

Lets review the performance:

Sainsbury 217 to 229 up 5.2%
Tesco 225 to 232 up 3.1%
Walmart 142 to 143.5 up 1.1%
Tesla 123 to 108 down 12%

Did I say value stocks were boring?

I wonder, when VW will release. ID 7 with 400+ mile range, how that will affect model 3 sales
At least it’ll have enough range to get past a broken EA charger.

Reactions: boombap