Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, A-Pillar Defect Found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming this was split before installation I'm fairly sure it can be repaired successfully. The car is built from parts, parts can be replaced.

Repairing structural aluminum parts is not an easy or low cost thing to do. OP purchased a new car. For this, they would have to replace essentially the entire side panel of the car. Would you take that as a new car? No way in hell I would.

Assuming this was split before installation I'm fairly sure it can be repaired successfully. The car is built from parts, parts can be replaced.
If Tesla wants to buy the car back, repair it and sell it at a discount then that's fine. However, it's not okay for such a major repair to have to be done to a car when the issue should have been spotted by Tesla prior to delivery. The owner should get a new car.

I know this doesn't add much to the thread, but there is no way they didn't see that during delivery prep.

I arrived for delivery with a driver's door that wouldn't close.... makes me wonder if there is a structural issue with the car underneath all the panelling that is mis-aligned. Shouldn't the pieces fit together well like a jigsaw puzzle? There is no excuse for misalignments.

Reactions: davidc18
This car is not fit for driving and also, makes me worried as what if the split was under other panels and you couldn't see it. This would break like a cracker in an accident. I would personally submit this to NHTSA for investigation whether it is a common problem with the cars. I don't want to sound crazy, but honestly, this is beyond acceptable at the 5th year of making this car.
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Doesn't need safety complaints, or the inevitable internet hyperbole.

Nobody here has the faintest idea whether this could lead to a structural failure even if it is a structural part, nor indeed what structural testing is performed on the cars during assembly.

Just needs Tesla SC to recognise it is a defect that should never have got out of the factory and replace the OP's vehicle along with some good will gestures.

Complaints are for when the company doesn't respond reasonably.

Nobody here has the faintest idea whether this could lead to a structural failure even if it is a structural part, nor indeed what structural testing is performed on the cars during assembly.

Just needs Tesla SC to recognise it is a defect that should never have got out of the factory and replace the OP's vehicle along with some good will gestures.

How is that not a structural component...? Any company should be investigated as to how a vehicle got out with a manufacturing problem as this in a structural component. Or let me guess, we should give airplane companies the same benefit? Just because we like Tesla or any other company, doesn't mean that they don't have a duty to protect their customers and to comply with the law. If they fail, they need to deal with the consequences.

I always had a fair amount of doubt in Tesla quality in terms of build quality of trim, paint, and accessories but this thread has escalated my doubts to a structural level..

Reactions: Kant.Ing

NHTSA complaints are used to identify potential safety-related defects, there are other courses of actions if a company doesn't respond responsibly.

Reactions: cwerdna
Of the what...hundred of thousands of cars...over time that Tesla has produced in general, If this was a recurring problem with the frames I tend to think that it would be reported by body shops, insurance adjusters or in the press or whatever. I'm more inclined to think it was a limited piece of aluminum on the roll or sheet that had a defect in it and got stamped and run down the line. Possibly the defect was seen in production and intended for pulling out of the line and wasn't. I'm sure now that it's been called to their attention it will be investigated to see how it got that far to delivery.

Reactions: MitchJi
Just reading some stories thru Apple News and saw this story covered by some website. The OP's posted photos and words and reference to TMC on it. Of course no real journalism like following up with someone at Tesla or doubt they even tried to reach the OP, just pretty much seemed to be copy and paste to me. Can sites basically lift everything from the thread these days and report like this? Sad what journalism has been reduced to.

Day 2: I called Kevin, Mississauga Ontario, service center manager this afternoon and he said the car is still at Excellence Auto Collision who is evaluating it and preparing a quote. They say they need more time to look into the problem and do some research. I know it is just a name but it feels real bad for your brand new car to be in a "collision" shop when it hasn't even touch as much as a curb side. I don't want to be driving a new, but repaired "wreck".

Mistakes do happen and what they need to do is to make this right (including and up to building a new car) and fix whatever process issues so it doesn't happen again. I do hope this is rare as it seems to be a real surprise to the service center folks. At this point, I think they are treating this seriously and hope they'll do the right thing by offering a new build, and repairing this one to be a loaner vehicle. It worries me how the logistic of this will work as it is on a lease right now and I have a pending application for government incentives.

I don't know if it is related, but my car have poorly aligned doors, where the driver door is about 1/4" lower than the back. I thought it was just a trim placement issue, but I am wondering if that is related somehow. As for build time, my car was actually just completed before the factory shutdown they had in Feb 2017.

Just reading some stories thru Apple News and saw this story covered by some website. The OP's posted photos and words and reference to TMC on it. Of course no real journalism like following up with someone at Tesla or doubt they even tried to reach the OP, just pretty much seemed to be copy and paste to me. Can sites basically lift everything from the thread these days and report like this? Sad what journalism has been reduced to.

You mean this?
Tesla Owner Finds Torn A-Pillar on Freshly Delivered Model S
As soon as Tesla makes this right, we'll need to (I'll do it personally) contact them to update the story to have a happier conclusion. At this point, I am still holding out hope that this is a one off defect, and they won't force me (or anyone else) for that matter to accept a defective product.

I am disappointed that this sort of thing still makes it through factory QA and pre-delivery prep. Even if this is a one-off, c'mon. As far as repairs, personally, I would be high resistant to anything other than a replacement. That A-pillar is part of the stamping for the side of the car.
628x471.jpg

Even if a body shop shop could disassemble the car and replace it, I would question if they could do it to factory tolerances and maintain integrity of the unibody.

Good luck. While disappointed with the initial QA, I am sure Tesla will make it right.

I am disappointed that this sort of thing still makes it through factory QA and pre-delivery prep. Even if this is a one-off, c'mon. As far as repairs, personally, I would be high resistant to anything other than a replacement. That A-pillar is part of the stamping for the side of the car.
628x471.jpg

Even if a body shop shop could disassemble the car and replace it, I would question if they could do it to factory tolerances and maintain integrity of the unibody.

Good luck. While disappointed with the initial QA, I am sure Tesla will make it right.

Seeing that picture of the part upsets me. It is not acceptable for them just to weld that back together, who knows how the structure and safety would be compromised. If they are to replace that part, they would have to take apart half the car, the glass roof, doors and then put it back together. It is going to months, and even after that I would have little confidence that it would be done well outside of the factory. Assuming it is safe, there will likely be a bunch more fit and finish issues and who knows what else. Effectively, I would be driving a rebuilt wreck instead of a brand new model S. I'll let them complete their assessment, and request that a new Model S90 (and not charge me extra since pricing went up since I ordered) be made should the defect be what we all see and expect here.

Last edited:
As far as repairs, personally, I would be high resistant to anything other than a replacement. That A-pillar is part of the stamping for the side of the car.
So lets say the A pillar gets damaged on your car in an accident, maybe a tree branch falls on it, or maybe you hit a taller vehicle or something. Would you expect the car to be totalled, or repaired?

Reactions: ColBatGuano