Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. By the way check out her new video published yesterday:
I like her videos because she's honest about her problems. It's one thing for the phone to have connections issues, but even the FOB? Plus, she hates sync 4 (for good reason) and uses CarPlay which has problems of its own. It's a miserable enough ownership experience that she's probably going to end up selling it is my guess.

Last edited:
I like her videos because she's honest about her problems. It's one thing for the phone to have connections issues, but even the FOB? Plus, she hates sync 4 (for good reason) and uses CarPlay which has problems of its own. It's a miserable enough ownership experience she's probably going to end up selling it is my guess.
LOL. Those miles of hoses are coming off next, then the battery?

And thanks for the video about this woman who had software problems with her Mach-E. I had not seen that one before, and it is kind of crazy for people to have problems getting in their car with a key FOB. All of the issues she commented on (besides the moon roof recall) were software issues, not hardware limitations. I trust they will all eventually get fixed, but it is still not a good look for Ford.
I've seen many posts about people getting updates only to have the problems return. PAAK is the best example, but there have been others. Some of the issues might be firmware related, but some are likely to be hardware as well. As far as OTAs? You'll be wasting your time waiting on Ford. They are still far from perfecting that process it seems. Instead, you'll have to visit the dealer and hope they'll actually do them.

The reason I showed the suitcase photos was because it was a very clear visual demonstrating that the Y is narrower than the Mach-E. It’s easier to visualize than tape measure measurements. I’m not saying she couldn’t have found some other creative way to stuff those suitcases in there. It appears that on this forum whenever someone presents any data that another car is slightly better at something than Tesla, no matter how trivial, some members will stuff their fingers in their ears, sing la la la la, and outright deny a reality staring them in the face. There must be a great psychological principle being demonstrated here.
It is call the confirmation bias. You will get one when you get a thing that you like and then someone points to its deficiencies. Nothing new, it's normal psychology.
Just to be clear, my decision on which car to buy is unlikely to come down to this factor. It’s pretty low on my list. The only reason I raised it was in response to some member who said I should buy the Mach-E if I like small trunks. It was a ridiculous comment and probably didn’t deserve a reply. By the way, the Mach-E cargo space is small compared to my Outback. But I don’t think this is an area where Tesla owners should be crowing about another victory, because the Y is small too.
If you actually watch the video where she loads both the Mach-E and the Model Y with bags, the picture is very different. She manages to put a lot more bags in the Model Y. The pictures you posted are just two frames of her presentations, and anyone can find a lot more frames there to demonstrate that the Model Y is a lot roomier than the Mach-E. The room in the Outback is truly gigantic, I completely agree, even if the passenger space is similar to the Model Y. One interesting thing about the dimensions: I own a Model 3 and an Acura MDX, and both have about the same trunk-end to windshield length that comfortably fits 10-feet long wood and pipes from Homedepot. It look though the Model Y might be slightly smaller in that dimension. :)
And thanks for the video about this woman who had software problems with her Mach-E. I had not seen that one before, and it is kind of crazy for people to have problems getting in their car with a key FOB. All of the issues she commented on (besides the moon roof recall) were software issues, not hardware limitations. I trust they will all eventually get fixed, but it is still not a good look for Ford.
I see you on the macheforum. You hope you read the comments about the Mach-E hardware issues there. Also, a glance on the comments to the video of EV&Chill I posted will give you an idea of the state of the Mach-E. Many commenters tell her that she is very lucky to have no major hardware issues. Even though I find the Mach-E pretty ugly (and I can't support the family that openly supported and promoted the Holocaust), I hoped that Ford will be more serious about the EVs. My guess is that they will scrap the Mach-E within a year. Maybe they will try a Mach-E 2.0, I don't know. Their major problem is that they must kill the F-150 (ICE) in order to survive long term, and they just can't do it.

Oh our cars already carry a significant dealer markup by default

for example (we dont have the mach-e yet)

Normal mustang GT fastback usa rrp :$36,285
New Zealand price $82,990 (NZD or $58,385 USD), though that includes a 15% sales tax, so more like $50k equivalent usd)

I like her videos because she's honest about her problems. It's one thing for the phone to have connections issues, but even the FOB? Plus, she hates sync 4 (for good reason) and uses CarPlay which has problems of its own. It's a miserable enough ownership experience that she's probably going to end up selling it is my guess.
Well, her youtube channel is where CC is a handy feature.

That said, my wife has expropriated our Model 3 in the first week, and she likes it because (1) software and connectivity is awesome and (2) "you just press the pedal and it goes faster than anyone else". So, we have a Model Y on order now.

Personally, I believe that CarPlay is a crutch for failed in-car software. A good business decision on budget would be to provide NO in-car navigation and minimalistic interface, but make sure that the CarPlay works flawlessly, and then maybe sell the car bundled with an iPhone.

Last edited:
Oh our cars already carry a significant dealer markup by default

for example (we dont have the mach-e yet)

Normal mustang GT fastback usa rrp :$36,285
New Zealand price $82,990 (NZD or $58,385 USD), though that includes a 15% sales tax, so more like $50k equivalent usd)
Can Tesla (Ford, VW, etc.) sell direct in NZ?
The US price does not include taxes which can be anywhere from 0% to 8%. 15% sales tax is brutal. You should be pretty rich people in NZ to buy cars.

15% sales tax in western countries is pretty low (outside of USA). Europe is often 20% or more!

A lot of car sales here are via licenced importers working on behalf (aka $$) of the manufacturer, pretty sure Ford NZ is actual Ford and all the dealerships are licenced franchises, I think there would be a lot of trouble if they tried selling direct.

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
Don’t forget model Y has additional subtrunk that can fit up to a large luggage.

Attachments

• 3454CD9A-C07F-42B0-9DCA-E5EE191DA52E.jpeg
    3454CD9A-C07F-42B0-9DCA-E5EE191DA52E.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: alexgr