Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide: Model Y or Mach-E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of pros and cons… if they all more or less work as intended, I would take ID4 or RAV4Prime … they both drive great unlike ModelY and Mach E which present a thrill for 20 minutes and then like driving on rocks….
Driving on rocks... I can't speak for the Mach E, but the Y is fine. Suspension is definitely on the stiffer side, but is still comfy enough for long drives. Now if your point of reference is a Lexus, the Y won't please you.

$5k more for quicker acceleration, better brakes, and 5 months earlier estimated delivery. In today's market, if you need the car ASAP the earlier delivery alone is probably worth almost $5k, compared to paying markup for a lightly used car (more expensive than new). At least you're getting some extra features for the $5k.

I had some urgency to my recent car purchase. If I had gone for a Model Y, I probably would've bought the MYP for exactly the reasons above, even though the MYLR has enough performance for me. After driving a few sporty crossovers I've realized they don't really resonate with me, but clearly many people like them, I can't go far without seeing several AMG, M, (R)SQ, Macan, MYP, etc crossovers the road.
Do your due diligence. READ and compare what Tesla offers to Ford should be an easy decision. One reason to buy a Tesla and not a Mach E. Tesla sells the best EV in the world. Tesla has an established infrastructure that is reliable [works] better than Electrified America. Tesla is offering FREE super charging during the holiday. Ford doesn't.

Do your due diligence. READ and compare what Tesla offers to Ford should be an easy decision. One reason to buy a Tesla and not a Mach E. Tesla sells the best EV in the world. Tesla has an established infrastructure that is reliable [works] better than Electrified America. Tesla is offering FREE super charging during the holiday. Ford doesn't.
Did you quote the wrong post? There wasn't anything about Ford or Mach-E in my post that you quoted.

Tesla is offering free charging for a few high peak days during off hours to spread people out bc they know their network will be overloaded…. Big deal? Hardly…

First- Love the name, how to watch crappy movies MST2K!!!
TESLA-Plug in destination, and drive
BOLT/LEAF EVERYTHING, OPEN PLUGSHARE,OPEN GOOGLE MAPS, GET OUT CALCULATER, DOWN LOAD ALL 7 CHARGER APPS, look on youtube to learn how to incorporate a sextant and slide rule into route planning, get halfway to destination, go up 4000 mile hill, cause you didn't check elevation in plugshare. arrive at level III charger under (insert name) 37 dg's and raining, get out tap RFID card 20 times, call number, wait 10 min, get a bunch of prompts, individual, can't locate charger after you gave charger number 3 times, after 30 min of shivering, they initiate charge, maybe for free,,,at 50KW.
Otherwise, yea, charging net works are pretty close super charger vs Electrify/charge/EV/Blink/and can't remember the other 2 whose reliability is a elected officials honesty!!!!!
I wonder how many people who think like this, actually, have any real-world experience with non-Tesla EV's and non-Tesla charging networks. Or are they just spreading information they saw on some Youtube video?

From the overwhelming majority of ID4, Mach-E, etc owners.. seems they have no problem finding reliable charging and taking long road trips, even cross-country. If anything because the real-world mileage of their vehicles is generally much closer (or even underrated) to EPA ratings.. they seem to be less concerned with any range anxiety.

My wife recently bought an ID.4 and I can't wait to drive it from DC to NYC and back this Christmas weekend. Just to see how much of a headache non-Tesla charging is supposed to be.. vs my year-long experience with my Model Y with 13K miles. We expect to do about 500 miles of driving roundtrip and I will definitely report back after NYE.

I wonder how many people who think like this, actually, have any real-world experience with non-Tesla EV's and non-Tesla charging networks. Or are they just spreading information they saw on some Youtube video?

From the overwhelming majority of ID4, Mach-E, etc owners.. seems they have no problem finding reliable charging and taking long road trips, even cross-country. If anything because the real-world mileage of their vehicles is generally much closer (or even underrated) to EPA ratings.. they seem to be less concerned with any range anxiety.

My wife recently bought an ID.4 and I can't wait to drive it from DC to NYC and back this Christmas weekend. Just to see how much of a headache non-Tesla charging is supposed to be.. vs my year-long experience with my Model Y with 13K miles. We expect to do about 500 miles of driving roundtrip and I will definitely report back after NYE.

In the real world, the EPA number doesn't matter. Whether they match their EPA estimate or not, the Teslas go farther. The trip planning tools in the Teslas are better too.

Having said that, traveling in a non-Tesla shouldn't be that bad. I've used a few EA stations with the chademo adapter, and they aren't awful. The biggest issue that I see is that placement isn't always quite as good in my area, as the EA network looks more like the Tesla network from ~3 years ago than today. The other networks fill in the gaps a little, but aren't great to depend on as there are lots of 50kw single stall locations, often with terrible pricing. Also, at almost every EA stop where I saw someone else there, I'd see at least one failed start and often a support call. I wouldn't personally be upset about that if it happened to me, and similar things have happened at one or two superchargers, but the rate at EA seems to be worse.

For me, its close enough that it wouldn't make me pick one car over the other. I'd just pick the one that I want to drive more. :)

DC to NYC.... try it from Little Rock to Boise then we will talk again.

Reactions: 73Bruin
Icing on the Tesla cake! The latest of many over the air upgrades is that you can now monitor the cameras in sentry mode from the app and even beep at or speak to anyone around the car... "Step away from the car." :D

The difference with a Tesla from all the others is that they are designed from the ground up to be BEVs, Aerodynamics before styling rather than marketing styling before aerodynamics in the Mach E. They have state of the art coordinated engineering in all systems, batteries, battery management, tech, and constant improvement - i.e., heat pump with octovalve to manage cooling and heating with both the cabin and battery, single piece castings for simplifying manufacture and build accuracy. The Model Y gets equivalent real-world range (better in winter) with a much smaller battery than the Ford and weighs 400 pounds less. Over life it will cost less to charge including better rates for DC charging via Superchargers. What can I say? In addition to the massive tech and entertainment, the cars are factory equipped with the FSD computer so they can take advantage of buying or leasing current FSD features plus the FSD that is progressing nicely in beta. When navigate on city streets id added to navigate on highways, you can bet I will subscribe to it for $200 a month.

While there are styling opinions that some can't get over, in my opinion there is no coherent reason to pick a Mach E over a Model Y even with the tax credit. There is so significant difference in pricing matching all Model Y features, absent the credits or with equal credits.

BTW, my Model Y build quality was flawless.

Last edited:
Reactions: WADan and pepperoni
In the real world, the EPA number doesn't matter. Whether they match their EPA estimate or not, the Teslas go farther. The trip planning tools in the Teslas are better too.

Having said that, traveling in a non-Tesla shouldn't be that bad. I've used a few EA stations with the chademo adapter, and they aren't awful. The biggest issue that I see is that placement isn't always quite as good in my area, as the EA network looks more like the Tesla network from ~3 years ago than today. The other networks fill in the gaps a little, but aren't great to depend on as there are lots of 50kw single stall locations, often with terrible pricing. Also, at almost every EA stop where I saw someone else there, I'd see at least one failed start and often a support call. I wouldn't personally be upset about that if it happened to me, and similar things have happened at one or two superchargers, but the rate at EA seems to be worse.

For me, its close enough that it wouldn't make me pick one car over the other. I'd just pick the one that I want to drive more. :)
Thank you for sharing your real world experience. The size & reliability of the charging network was certainly one of major reasons I picked Tesla as my EV choice. That said now that I’ve had my car for year and put a ton of miles on it.. it’s pretty easy to come to realization that 1) I do 99% of my charging at home and 2) wherever I’m realistically road tripping in a vehicle there are a ton of available chargers.

Things will certainly be a lot more interesting a few years when I decide to sell or trade my Model Y for something else. I’d imagine charging networks will be very little concern. Especially so if Tesla opens their SC network.

Reactions: jsight
Icing on the Tesla cake! The latest of many over the air upgrades is that you can now monitor the cameras in sentry mode from the app and even beep at or speak to anyone around the car... "Step away from the car." :D

The difference with a Tesla from all the others is that they are designed from the ground up to be BEVs, Aerodynamics before styling rather than marketing styling before aerodynamics in the Mach E. They have state of the art coordinated engineering in all systems, batteries, battery management, tech, and constant improvement - i.e., heat pump with octovalve to manage cooling and heating with both the cabin and battery, single piece castings for simplifying manufacture and build accuracy. The Model Y gets equivalent real-world range (better in winter) with a much smaller battery than the Ford and weighs 400 pounds less. Over life it will cost less to charge including better rates for DC charging via Superchargers. What can I say? In addition to the massive tech and entertainment, the cars are factory equipped with the FSD computer so they can take advantage of buying or leasing current FSD features plus the FSD that is progressing nicely in beta. When navigate on city streets id added to navigate on highways, you can bet I will subscribe to it for $200 a month.

While there are styling opinions that some can't get over, in my opinion there is no coherent reason to pick a Mach E over a Model Y even with the tax credit. There is so significant difference in pricing matching all Model Y features, absent the credits or with equal credits.

BTW, my Model Y build quality was flawless.
What you said is absolutely true, but people do what they do 😀.
My YLR also works perfectly fine (have been back to SC only once due to AC sensor recall). I think people put Tesla under a microscope. I never thought much about panel gaps until now, and I went back to look and found panel gaps in my ICE cars too!

Reactions: alexgr

UM----YEA....just curious, what other EV's you've owned, and done any cross country trips? I'm asking cause crossed USA with a AZURE, LEVEL II only, and a bolt with a camper back there. My post was a combo of real world vs some sarcasm, two chargers in heavily EV owed areas with only Electrify America, 4 CCS, only 2 work, trouble tickets in since AUG.. your turn, my two favorites are Snoqualmie pass Washington state, and going to Denver----Denver is great seeing everyone crowd around a 14-50 plug to get "OVER" the hump...BUT HEA, WHAT happened TO HELPING pEPP_O_RONI FIND HIS DREAM CAR, not defend a charging group you have a financial interest in.

Steve

UM----YEA....just curious, what other EV's you've owned, and done any cross country trips? I'm asking cause crossed USA with a AZURE, LEVEL II only, and a bolt with a camper back there. My post was a combo of real world vs some sarcasm, two chargers in heavily EV owed areas with only Electrify America, 4 CCS, only 2 work, trouble tickets in since AUG.. your turn, my two favorites are Snoqualmie pass Washington state, and going to Denver----Denver is great seeing everyone crowd around a 14-50 plug to get "OVER" the hump...BUT HEA, WHAT happened TO HELPING pEPP_O_RONI FIND HIS DREAM CAR, not defend a charging group you have a financial interest in.

Steve

No need to get angry. I was literally asking a question. Which was if your charging experience was credible.. or were you sharing something from YouTube videos??

To answer your question I've owned a Model Y for about 10th months now. My wife has owned an ID4 for about two weeks now. I like looking forward to learning more about the EV experience with both vehicles and MOST owners of newer EV's like the ID4, MME, Taycan, etc seem to have no problem using EA chargers. I now belong to quite a few EV forums and seems everyone is able to charge their vehicles just fine on longer road trips. Im not sure if I've read any report from an actual IDE, MME, Taycan owner that couldn't reach their destination because of failed chargers or lack of charging network.

I also have zero financial interest in any charging group. So I have no idea where you got that from unless you literally just made it up.

FWIW.. we aren't driving any vehicle more than about 500 miles roundtrip. And longest of those trips will probably be up & down the East Coast on I-95.. as we live in DC but have close family in VA & NYC. Any further than about 250 miles driving in any direction away from our home, means I'll be jumping on a plane. So I can absolutely guarantee you that we will never drive any vehicle (ICE, Hybrid, EV, etc) to somewhere like Washington state, Denver, or any of those other places you are naming.. where charging was apparently so difficult.

Last edited:
No need to get angry. I was literally asking a question. Which was if your charging experience was credible.. or were you sharing something from YouTube videos??

To answer your question I've owned a Model Y for about 10th months now. My wife has owned an ID4 for about two weeks now. I like looking forward to learning more about the EV experience with both vehicles and MOST owners of newer EV's like the ID4, MME, Taycan, etc seem to have no problem using EA chargers. I now belong to quite a few EV forums and seems everyone is able to charge their vehicles just fine on longer road trips. Im not sure if I've read any report from an actual IDE, MME, Taycan owner that couldn't reach their destination because of failed chargers or lack of charging network.

I also have zero financial interest in any charging group. So I have no idea where you got that from unless you literally just made it up.

FWIW.. we aren't driving any vehicle more than about 500 miles roundtrip. And longest of those trips will probably be up & down the East Coast on I-95.. as we live in DC but have close family in VA & NYC. Any further than about 250 miles driving in any direction away from our home, means I'll be jumping on a plane. So I can absolutely guarantee you that we will never drive any vehicle (ICE, Hybrid, EV, etc) to somewhere like Washington state, Denver, or any of those other places you are naming.. where charging was apparently so difficult.
Didn't know there were youtube reliability videos of people getting full poopy-face over the charger experience. "MY" super awsome experience has been mine, and fellow non-tesla owners putting in a excel with who, what, where has screwed you, then contact the company, not make a youtube cause your tiny feelings got smooshed....I'm guessing the angry is your own feelings, hahahaha. and really, what does this all have to do with, a model y vs a MACH... stay classy, so you do have an interest...though so

END OF LINE...