Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this specific instance, I took the online voting results and sent them personally, to several departments as well as making follow-up phone calls, and bringing up the subject in person. I don't know exactly where the decision came from if it was any one department. Or if they were in a weekly meeting and three department heads said, "Hey, I had this TMC poll come in.", "Hey, I saw that one too.", "Hey, me too."

I pretty much know for certain that without the voting results, nothing would have been done.
Dammit, I guess we may have to do this to get an upstate NY service center (I think Syracuse is best). Tesla *should* be more alert to the pulse of the people, but they clearly aren't.

I'm going to an electric car show next month and I'll have to tell people not to buy Teslas until we get a service center less than 200 miles away. :-(

Thanks for your feedback about this. I don't have the energy to organize this sort of campaign right now, but maybe after I get certain complex personal things dealt with. If nothing is in the queue by Spring I should have time to start making noise.

Dammit, I guess we may have to do this to get an upstate NY service center (I think Syracuse is best). Tesla *should* be more alert to the pulse of the people, but they clearly aren't.

I'm going to an electric car show next month and I'll have to tell people not to buy Teslas until we get a service center less than 200 miles away. :-(

Thanks for your feedback about this. I don't have the energy to organize this sort of campaign right now, but maybe after I get certain complex personal things dealt with. If nothing is in the queue by Spring I should have time to start making noise.

My observation and from what I've heard actually spoken to me by Tesla employees, is that Tesla needs to focus on what can benefit the most people with the available resources. But the way in which they gauge that benefit may not truly be representative of need in all cases. The 14-30 is a good example. I think that product sold, it just didn't sell in huge numbers. Some metric somewhere told them, "well, it didn't sell enough of Y in X amount of time, so we got rid of it." But it eventually sold out. So in actuality, it sold in proportion to need, which grew simply by ownership base increasing.

For service centers, sales galleries, and superchargers, Tesla looks at how many customers are around a given area to make a build-out decision. This is my frustration with the Charleston, WV supercharger location or lack thereof. Not a huge presence around the area (but some), yet, the amount of people who migrate between the states of Ohio and Florida is one of the highest dual-residencies in the whole US. So while the benefit would not be directly to that local area, it would be a huge benefit that people that leave their Tesla's in either state because electric driving isn't as direct as ICE driving.

So regarding the service center, you may be caught in a catch-22. They might not deploy one unless there are more owners, but there might not be more owners until they deploy one.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
For service centers, sales galleries, and superchargers, Tesla looks at how many customers are around a given area to make a build-out decision.
That is asinine stupidity. They need to stop doing that ASAP. Whoever suggested that should be fired immediately because it's completely moronic. Nobody with even a quarter of a brain would make build-out decisions that way.

So regarding the service center, you may be caught in a catch-22. They might not deploy one unless there are more owners, but there might not be more owners until they deploy one.

And this is why that is asinine stupidity.

Does Musk know that the company is doing something this unbelievably stupid? It's a solid way to drive the company into the ground if they keep it up.

I believe a previous thread there was a discussion aboutN Y limiting Tesla to a fixed small number of places. There aremore people with Tesla size incomes in the city area. Busines logic dictates putting them in the largest area. VA can have only one and it is in the DC area. The golden rule.. The gold rules.

I believe a previous thread there was a discussion aboutN Y limiting Tesla to a fixed small number of places. There aremore people with Tesla size incomes in the city area. Busines logic dictates putting them in the largest area. VA can have only one and it is in the DC area. The golden rule.. The gold rules.
They, like Ohio, are limited in the number of sales galleries.

That is asinine stupidity. They need to stop doing that ASAP. Whoever suggested that should be fired immediately because it's completely moronic. Nobody with even a quarter of a brain would make build-out decisions that way.

And this is why that is asinine stupidity.

Does Musk know that the company is doing something this unbelievably stupid? It's a solid way to drive the company into the ground if they keep it up.
The good news is that they will get there eventually. They have made a huge amount of progress and will continue to do so. It's hard for me sometimes because I think "well I just want this thing that's important to me", but I think everyone thinks that on some level. A good example being that while I sympathize with your NY service center, i care more about the Charleston supercharger. And I know you to feel the opposite, and that's OK.

Tesla isn't done yet.

Reactions: neroden
If they bring back the 10-30 adapter they'll have another chance to be surprised.
I'd like a 6-50, too. And 6-20. And while I'm dreaming, a TT-30. Sure the demand won't be high, but I like to keep my charging options open. If they could lower the price of these a bit (say $20-25) I'm sure more people would want to collect them all. That will be especially true (the effects of price point) once Model 3 starts shipping.

Reactions: neroden and MP3Mike
The good news is that they will get there eventually. They have made a huge amount of progress and will continue to do so. It's hard for me sometimes because I think "well I just want this thing that's important to me", but I think everyone thinks that on some level. A good example being that while I sympathize with your NY service center, i care more about the Charleston supercharger. And I know you to feel the opposite, and that's OK.

Yeah, they did eventually get the crucial Erie supercharger... :)

I'm more worried about service centers mainly because the rate of increase has been so insufficient. The Supercharger program seems to have really gotten up to speed, and they're installing dozens of sites at any given time... you'll probably get your Charleston supercharger within a year. The service centers seem to be having genuine problems scaling up, and I feel like it's not just my area, it's everywhere. Arkansas? Michigan?

Tesla isn't done yet.
Oh yeah! :)

I'd like a 6-50, too. And 6-20. And while I'm dreaming, a TT-30. Sure the demand won't be high, but I like to keep my charging options open. If they could lower the price of these a bit (say $20-25) I'm sure more people would want to collect them all. That will be especially true (the effects of price point) once Model 3 starts shipping.
The obvious difference is that it is safe and fairly easy to adapt on the same current level, so 14-50 to 6-50, etc. are no problem. The pent-up demand was because they did not have a correctly current limiting adapter for 30A circuits, which can serve 14-30, 10-30, and TT-30.

Has anyone who ordered the 14-30 adapter received it yet?

Just curious. Previously when I've ordered in-stock items, they've shipped within 2 or 3 business days. Haven't heard anything for a week since my order was confirmed.

Has anyone who ordered the 14-30 adapter received it yet?

Just curious. Previously when I've ordered in-stock items, they've shipped within 2 or 3 business days. Haven't heard anything for a week since my order was confirmed.
Took a week until I got email saying it's been shipped. On the other hand, Fedex says it won't be delivered for another week. At least I'm not in a hurry.