Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey Tesla, there is a need for that NEMA 14-30 adapter still!

As a Model S/3/X owner, how would I use a NEMA 14-30 adapter (now discontinued)?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm stopping by the Service Center today and will see what they say. Since it's a safety related recall, I would expect them to take the adapters back.

The FAQ they released says:

May I exchange my adapter at a store or service center?

Replacement adapters will be mailed to your home. We will not carry replacement adapters in our stores and service centers until after the recall is complete.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I'm wasn't expecting them to provide replacements at the Service Center. I hope they would be able to take the old ones back and put my name on the list for replacements which will be mailed out in several months.

Do let us know what you find out. But if they really are shipping replacements to the people that they have registered as buyers, they likely aren't going to be doing that, because they would have no way of removing that adapter from the records of the original purchaser. (So they would end up "replacing" more adapters than they sold.)

Let's face it, this way doesn't work for a recall. So someone who sold their Tesla, and no longer has one, and included the adapter with the car is going to get a replacement, while the person that owns the car and is using the adapter won't. Really?

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I reached out to Tesla already and got this back:

Maybe if more of us reach out they will realize that that is not an appropriate response for a recall.

If they want to make it difficult, that's up to them. It's real easy to look at the adapter you have, figure out the manufacture date to see if it's affected, and communicate that information to Tesla. But if I have to spend $500 out of pocket to make sure people's houses don't burn down, fine.

Not sure if they feel like they need to treat (punish?) me/you as a reseller/vendor. I purchased all the adapters with sales tax included, and as I communicated to each of you individually, there was no markup. I was simply facilitating what seemed like a lack of communication between service centers and/or their inability to navigate their own inventory system for the benefit of the customer. Any extra money you included, and most of your did, was a donation that was spent on treating our local service center to lunch, twice, as a thank you for all their hard work.

Last edited:
Another case they might not have considered is that of someone who bought an adapter before they got their car. I bought my NEMA 10-30 adapter that way from the on-line store, and nobody ever asked me for a VIN or RN. I'm not sure if that's in their records, but I'm going to send Tesla an email to find out.

@supratachophobia you shouldn't have to spend any $$$ on this recall, especially after all the work you went through to track down those NEMA 14-30 adapters for us. I'll be happy to chip in for shipping charges and your time, if it comes to that.

Bruce.

Another case they might not have considered is that of someone who bought an adapter before they got their car. I bought my NEMA 10-30 adapter that way from the on-line store, and nobody ever asked me for a VIN or RN. I'm not sure if that's in their records, but I'm going to send Tesla an email to find out.

@supratachophobia you shouldn't have to spend any $$$ on this recall, especially after all the work you went through to track down those NEMA 14-30 adapters for us. I'll be happy to chip in for shipping charges and your time, if it comes to that.

Bruce.
My adapter was bought by credit card at the Telsa SC - It was their last one. No VIN. I'm not sure if they'll find me either.

So, fairly relevant update here. I just heard from Tesla without ever having to reach out myself. Some threads seemed to catch someone's attention; you know who you are. Special thanks to @SageBrush I guess, in a way. Tesla will be interfacing directly with those currently in possession of the 14-30 adapter, regardless of where they obtained the part. There were trying to facilitate things by reaching out first to those who they had a record of purchasing, but they would encourage anyone who has one of the affected adapters to reach out to Tesla if they haven't heard from them yet. They will take care of all of us, I'm one of them too.

I knew we'd get there eventually, just part of the evolving communication process at Tesla, which we've all seen over the years. Speak, get feedback, clarify. But they always value the customer to that end.

Here's from Tesla's notice "NEMA 14-30, 10-30, 6-50 Adapter Recall" (thank you MP3Mike for the link):

How to determine if your adapter is affected by the recall
Your adapter will likely be included in the recall if you purchased it more than six months ago. To check, compare the part number on the prong side of the adapter to the table below. If you find a match, your adapter will be replaced.

Recalled Adapter, Part Number
---------------------------, ---------------------
NEMA 6-50, 1016021-00-A
NEMA 6-50, 1016021-00-B
NEMA 10-30, 1016174-00-B
NEMA 14-30, 1018243-00-A
NEMA 14-30, 1018243-00-B

The latest version of the NEMA 14-30 adapter does not need to be replaced. They have part number 1018243-00-C and have a gray plastic cap (on the right in the photo), rather than a black plastic cap (on the left in the photo).
101824300c.jpg

Are any of the standard equipment adapters affected?
No, only 14-30, 10-30 or 6-50 accessory adapters purchased separately are impacted by this recall. The 14-50 and 5-15 adapters included with your Tesla are not affected.

Last edited:
Here's from Tesla's notice "NEMA 14-30, 10-30, 6-50 Adapter Recall" (thank you MP3Mike for the link):

How to determine if your adapter is affected by the recall
Your adapter will likely be included in the recall if you purchased it more than six months ago. To check, compare the part number on the prong side of the adapter to the table below. If you find a match, your adapter will be replaced.

Recalled Adapter, Part Number
---------------------------, ---------------------
NEMA 6-50, 1016021-00-A
NEMA 6-50, 1016021-00-B
NEMA 10-30, 1016174-00-B
NEMA 14-30, 1018243-00-A
NEMA 14-30, 1018243-00-B

The latest version of the NEMA 14-30 adapter does not need to be replaced. They have part number 1018243-00-C and have a gray plastic cap (on the right in the photo), rather than a black plastic cap (on the left in the photo).
101824300c.jpg

Are any of the standard equipment adapters affected?
No, only 14-30, 10-30 or 6-50 accessory adapters purchased separately are impacted by this recall. The 14-50 and 5-15 adapters included with your Tesla are not affected.

So, you'll recall that back in the day Tesla replaced the 14-50 adapters that originally came with the black cap (like the one on the left) with versions that came with the grey cap (like the one on the right).

I wondered at the time why it was limited to the 14-50 adapters and didn't pertain to any of the others. Possibly it should have?

The language on the recall page says "those that regularly charge with..." so I'm guessing they are pulling vehicle logs. I thought the car only knew the amperage, though, so couldn't distinguish a 14-50 from a 6-50. Anyhow, that doesn't help me who owns both a 10-30 and 14-30 adapters, but has not (yet) used them.

There's some sort of communication between the adapters and the car. Use a Tesla provided adapter, and the amps are automatically properly limited. Use a third party adapter with the attached tag that tells you to set the max to a certain amperage, and the car will just go to the highest amp setting of the highest Tesla adapter in the line, until you follow the instructions and manually adjust the amps downward (40 amps if using a 50 amp Tesla adapter, despite the 50 amp plug being plugged into a 50 amp extension cord that is plugged into -- whatever -- for instance, a 15 amp, 20 amp, or 30 amp adapter and similar house wiring). What makes it really annoying is that Tesla doesn't release its standards to third party suppliers, who are left with the tagging method for communicating to the car owners to set the amps right in the dash. (At home, we have a properly installed HPWC, but on the road, at a friend's house, that isn't the case.) Even worse, it is not a function in the remote app (on smartphone) to allow you to set amps (or charge time). That means you're stuck getting back into the car to do the right settings.

There's some sort of communication between the adapters and the car. Use a Tesla provided adapter, and the amps are automatically properly limited. Use a third party adapter with the attached tag that tells you to set the max to a certain amperage, and the car will just go to the highest amp setting of the highest Tesla adapter in the line, until you follow the instructions and manually adjust the amps downward (40 amps if using a 50 amp Tesla adapter, despite the 50 amp plug being plugged into a 50 amp extension cord that is plugged into -- whatever -- for instance, a 15 amp, 20 amp, or 30 amp adapter and similar house wiring). What makes it really annoying is that Tesla doesn't release its standards to third party suppliers, who are left with the tagging method for communicating to the car owners to set the amps right in the dash. (At home, we have a properly installed HPWC, but on the road, at a friend's house, that isn't the case.) Even worse, it is not a function in the remote app (on smartphone) to allow you to set amps (or charge time). That means you're stuck getting back into the car to do the right settings.
Actually, I think the diode? inside is public knowledge and the communication protocol is j1772. So armed with that, I think a 3rd party could make an adapter, correct?