Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Fidelity Park Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, and some people lap it up and say: Look they are improving the car years after you purchased 🤣Never mind that they broke it and that every single car in the price range works flawlessly with USS. Its amazing how people can be hoodwinked. And Tesla gets away with it. Masterclass!

This is such a bad idea. So how is it going to work when its rainy outside, which happens sometimes in Pacific Northwest? How about if it freezes a little bit? So dumb. This will be like auto-wipers which 12 years later still don't work properly.

Replace the cheap, widely available hardware solution like USS and wet sensor for auto-wipers with convoluted software solution which is inferior and also at risk for breaking on every software update. This is total madness.
You know it. I know it. Anyone who knows anything about cars knows it. Tesla doesn’t know much about cars. They do know technology, though, and they feel like they can fix everything with different technology. They are categorically wrong in this case.

I have the vision only park assist on my December Plaid S since yesterday and it's awesome.
Only wish I have would be the option to also show it on the center screen.

Now those that don't have it and have never tested it can keep complaining, sorry to interrupt you guys.
I would swap my USS with this early version 360 in a hearthbeat. People saying otherwise are probably delusional, USS have much more limitiations than they want to admit.

Just used it for the first time this morning. Didn't have much time to check it out but it saw the parking lines drawn on the ground, so I assume it should be pretty good about seeing curbs, etc. First impression - it's a huge improvement over the squiggly jumping lines, which I tended to ignore.

Now "high fidelity" is sort of like "FSD"..... take that description with a grain of salt, as you know Elon's talent for embellishment. It's vision based, so I don't know how well it will do in darkness. Pulling out out of my dimly lit garage early this morning, objects were more like soft edged blobs. I would imagine that if vision were combined with USS, it would be a helluva combination and High Fidelity would be a more apt description. Alas, I only have vision. I can see this being improved in the future though.

Reactions: terranx
Limited testing in my 2023 MY yesterday. No question it's better than the previous version of park assist. That not saying much because the previous version was useless. With the new version, on repeat trials in dry daytime conditions I was consistently getting a stop signal or red shading at about 5-8 inches from a trash can placed in front of or behind the car. Sometime there was no stop signal, but there always was red shading before hitting the can. Also able to easily get to within 5-10 inches from a curb when parallel parking. Good visualizations of parking lines and parked cars in a parking lot. Expect this performance will degrade in rain or dark conditions.

No question it's better than the previous version of park assist. That not saying much because the previous version was useless. With the new version, on repeat trials in dry daytime conditions I was consistently getting a stop signal or red shading at about 5-8 inches from a trash can placed in front of or behind the car. Sometime there was no stop signal, but there always was red shading before hitting the can. Also able to easily get to within 5-10 inches from a curb when parallel parking. Good visualizations of parking lines and parked cars in a parking lot. Expect this performance will degrade in rain or dark conditions.
Wholeheartedly agree.

If you think about it, as you drive your Tesla along, it's showing road markings, other cars, traffic lights, etc. right? Well, they're now simply applying the same imagery we've had all along when driving, to low speed/parking. Makes me wonder why they didn't do this all along? It seems like the tech was already there...but what do I know? Anyway.....

Got to play with it a bit more last night. It doesn't tell me how close I am to anything as far as measurements. Maybe I need to change a setting? I pulled into a parking spot with a curb and rising grass mound. As you can see, I was feet away from the curb, but that image had me thinking I was about to hit it. So it gave me a general idea, but not much more.... in the dark. And this is with the headlights shining right at the area....
IMG-3140.jpg
IMG-3141.jpg
IMG-3142.jpg

--------------------------------------

In this image, there is a wall on the left and a large concrete post in front of the car. I found out (and I know this was already said a million times but I just discovered it LOL) you can touch the screen and manipulate the image, changing the angles. Seems a horizontal view is clearer than birds eye. This makes sense since software would be more involved in rendering for birds eye (no camera up there), vs pulling from actual imagery the closer you get to a horizonal plane. However, I don't see many of us fussing with angles on the touchscreen while trying to park. Just give me a dang good birds eye view with some measured countdowns and I'll be happy.

Same spot, different angles. Scuse the screen smudges.... the buttered bagel didn't help. LOL

IMG-3148.jpg
IMG-3150.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

Another nice thing are the trajectory lines predicting wheel location as I'm backing up. Yes, I know other manufs have had this for a decade. I'm like a caveman who has been given a bicycle. All in all, not bad, Tesla.

IMG-3134.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really hoping this is just to simplify the initial release. Excluding USS cars means they don't have to worry about unhappy USS owners, or add a setting to toggle it off. Makes perfect sense to cut scope and ship without that.

Hoping they do go back and release it for the rest of us! I really want the parking spot line markings visualization. USS doesn't help with that!
Having a Model Y dual motor with full FSD vehicle without USS and relying on camera vision is a disaster, its inaccurate and cannot be relied. I had to fix a battens to the garage floor, as vision displays stop when the car a third outside the garage or it displays 50cm when your touching the wall. I was hoping that release 2023.44.30.2 with the much acclaimed vision park assist now displays high fidelity 3D representation of the world around your vehicle would restore the poor decision to remove USS. Please believe me its just does not work, plenty of wigely colored lines BUT does not pick up a 140 x 60 x 60 cm refuge bin. Please keep your USS sensors.

Attachments

• APA.jpg
    APA.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 63
Having a Model Y dual motor with full FSD vehicle without USS and relying on camera vision is a disaster, its inaccurate and cannot be relied. I had to fix a battens to the garage floor, as vision displays stop when the car a third outside the garage or it displays 50cm when your touching the wall. I was hoping that release 2023.44.30.2 with the much acclaimed vision park assist now displays high fidelity 3D representation of the world around your vehicle would restore the poor decision to remove USS. Please believe me its just does not work, plenty of wigely colored lines BUT does not pick up a 140 x 60 x 60 cm refuge bin. Please keep your USS sensors.
Are you sure you are not hallucinating? Computer AI knows better than you, you are cleared to drive forward! There is no refuge bin, its clearly visible on the screeen of your Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: Dracaris and jebinc
If Tesla will allow, but I suspect the day is coming where they just disable, with Elon spouting out, “GFY”…

Are you sure you are not hallucinating? Computer AI knows better than you, you are cleared to drive forward! There is no refuge bin, its clearly visible on the screeen of your Tesla.
Yes, that's what I thought I even reversed back into the garage and drove out towards the bin a couple of times thinking that it would be picked up, but no AI said path clear. I then drove back into the garage and placed a second bin next to the one in the picture, drove out again and this time did show some activity in fuzzy colours which as I got closer disappeared. The metal gate then started to shut and it did show a gray shaded area moving from right to left and, but no bin. Clearly this was of great concern and wondering if the bins would be invisible to refuge collectors. I will try driving in and reversing later to see if the rear camera makes a difference.

Reactions: jebinc and teko
Yes, that's what I thought I even reversed back into the garage and drove out towards the bin a couple of times thinking that it would be picked up, but no AI said path clear. I then drove back into the garage and placed a second bin next to the one in the picture, drove out again and this time did show some activity in fuzzy colours which as I got closer disappeared. The metal gate then started to shut and it did show a gray shaded area moving from right to left and, but no bin. Clearly this was of great concern and wondering if the bins would be invisible to refuge collectors. I will try driving in and reversing later to see if the rear camera makes a difference.
Would you be able to grab a pic of what it looks like through the camera view? I know Tesla vision is pretty awful, but I still have to wonder how it missed a trash can dead center.

Nice lil video of this guy testing "HiFi" park assist. Some garage, garbage can, parking lot and curb action. Take what you want from it. Overall, like most things Tesla, you can't put too much trust in it and there are no distance measurements. Still it's way better than what was before. Note that he drives up and touches the garbage can, yet the car still estimates some distance between.

Another word of warning: While the new Hi-Fi Park Assist feature is very useful and works pretty well, it sometimes misses things or displays them in a bigger distance than it really is. I have experienced this with vertical structures, particularly if their size differs at different heights. Just be careful and have a good look before you drive really close.

If they'd just show us an actual bird's-eye video feed, I suspect we'd have a better idea what's out there and how close it is to the car than their "AI" software does. What a mess.
It would seem that even when the cameras were designed for a bird's-eye view they still aren't very good:

I could just imagine with the sub-optimal camera positions/angles that Tesla has it would be even worse.

It would seem that even when the cameras were designed for a bird's-eye view they still aren't very good:

I could just imagine with the sub-optimal camera positions/angles that Tesla has it would be even worse.
Good grief. So what we’ve learned is we can land entire vehicles on Mars, but we don’t have adequate technology to park a vehicle we’re physically in, here on Earth.

I’ve had this for a week or so now and it’s a very Tesla solution to a long-solved problem.

My previous Tesla and the three cars before it all had USS and it was a known quantity. I greatly prefer USS to this high fidelity thing which, while it looks extremely cool, has been only minimally useful to me.
Vision should be better at seeing parking curbs, though. USS can’t detect those once you get too close. I’d like this feature, but only if it’s accurate…