TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

High mileage due to road trips. Continue?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by teethdood, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dhh12

dhh12 Member

As my dad told me - "It's a car - drive it"

• Like x 1
  2. Yinn

Yinn Member

I'm averaging 2-3,000 miles/month on my X. In my car ownership experience, they tend to be better when they're driven. Nothing kills a car faster than letting it sit for extended periods. I actually take pride in racking up my miles, and racking up miles on a Toyota Sienna that got 17 mpg average drove me to replace it with a Model X.

In calculating with gas at $3.00/gallon for regular, 17 mpg, and 30,000 miles a year. With oil changes every 5,000 miles @ $50/change. That's a running cost of $5,594.12/year or $0.19/mile.

Working backwards. My electric rate is on average ~$0.115/kwh, and my lifetime wh/mi is 360. It takes 10,800 kwh to travel 30,000 miles. That's a running cost of $1,242.13/year or $0.04/mile.

It doesn't make the car free, but since you already have it. Why not drive it? If anything the running costs hedge your depreciation costs. If it's not about money and depreciation, then I sure as heck enjoy the X more than a minivan.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

I have 110k miles and climbing fast. Drove in 20 states last summer. The only way to get full ROI from this car is to drive it. Going to D.C. next week. I take at least one trip per month.
    Oh, none of my other autos get over 10 mpg.

• Like x 1
  4. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

Cars are meant to be driven, why buy it if you don't plan to drive it. Especially a Tesla. The high cost of the car the only way I see it being worth the cost is to drive it. I look at it like every 530 kilometers or so is about $100 in savings. That's what out other car costs for in gas. Its not a high end exotic that is built in limited numbers. It will not go up in value. Although I can't afford an exotic I still think it's a shame they aren't driven, after all that's what's cars are for

5. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Owners tend to drive Tesla's more than ICE cars because they are simply so much better to drive.

Someone said not driving your car is like saving your girlfriend for the next guy.

Enjoy what you have

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  6. jasonb

jasonb Member

i'm one week away from 1yr mark. 17680miles. thats higher than i anticipated especially when this was a 1yr experiment to see if an expensive car was a bad idea. i'm positive at this point from depreciation point of view 17680 miles and expensive is bad combo. but i'm also completely convinced if you go XP100D you don't really go back to non-tesla. given my fate is somewhat sealed, i'll probably end up putting commute miles on a model 3 and saving the X for when whole family is present.

7. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

10 months. 17k miles. And I work from home and do not do business travel.

I was considering the warranty implications, but not sure there is a better alternative? Significant costs for renting a car or keeps my a second car around. Plus, I’d rather drive this car.

8. Sgadhia

Sgadhia Member

We have 4 drivers, thus 4 cars in the household. However only 1 Tesla. Even then, in 45 days of ownership we have racked up 5600 miles on the Model X. My concept in the house with my wife and parents is quite simple.... If you're driving somewhere and the Tesla is going to remain parked, that does not serve us. In that case, burn calories NOT gas. Like everyone else here has said - drive it to get the most bang for your buck.

9. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

I just noticed my first post on here i said we got X in October 2016. I meant to say 2017. Time flies when you got three small kids.

10. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

I bought the car to drive and I'm not afraid of doing so. I'm 1 year in with 36k miles. Only worry is deciding whether or not to purchase the extended warranty.

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I have never understood the mentality of buying a car only to drive another (usually worse) car to "keep the miles off". If you are worried about short term value, you should be leasing.

12. birjubhai

birjubhai Member

Or more like...Let it drive itself ! :)

13. BeardedBro

BeardedBro Member

A little over a year with our X, and we've got about 20k miles on it. Not as much as some of you other gals and guys of course, but enough to have my wife and I leaning towards getting the extended warranty when the time comes. Especially with the X, with all its novel tech and quirks, there's no way I'd be happy holding onto it without everything (e.g. falcon wing doors, articulating seats) under warranty.

14. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Member

That's what my wife and I have done. Added a Model 3 to the family!

15. LCR1

LCR1 Member

My commute alone is 42-44 miles so about 11K just in commuting. I'll put around 20-30K miles a year on my primary vehicle.

16. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

Excellent! And what people don't know that have just one electric, having two, more than compounds their usability. I am anxiously waiting for a manufactured BEV truck. I have threatened to buy and use a Tesla semi cab to haul my boat and travel trailer. I prefer a less expensive BEV truck with more cab room.

17. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    OMG, we are way over on mileage.
    Took delivery on 9-11. Our Model S is showing 17,529 miles to date. That's approx 3,500 a month! At this rate, I'm looking at close to 50k a year. Although we've been places. Love our day trips too!

lifetime.JPG

• Like x 1
  18. DaddyP713

DaddyP713 Member

We got our Model X in June of 2017, and we have nearly 30k miles. I have a 120 mile daily commute, and we drove from Georgia to Montana and back on a road trip last summer.

Drive it like you stole it. These cards are meant to be driven.

• Like x 1
  19. LCR1

LCR1 Member

How did you get that map overlay?

20. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    Good morning. I have a teslafi account since the week of delivery. I know it's not for everyone but I love it. I worry not about pushing the trip before any event.