Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage due to road trips. Continue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My daily commute is only about 20 miles per day. However, I visit family often and it's 500-mile round trips once or twice a month. So now my 11-month-old X has 14K miles on it. While not super high mileage, I'm thinking about switching to my minivan to stay around the standard 12K miles/year avg. Do you folks drive it a lot, odometer be damned, or stay around/less than the 12K/year?

I'm averaging 2-3,000 miles/month on my X. In my car ownership experience, they tend to be better when they're driven. Nothing kills a car faster than letting it sit for extended periods. I actually take pride in racking up my miles, and racking up miles on a Toyota Sienna that got 17 mpg average drove me to replace it with a Model X.

In calculating with gas at $3.00/gallon for regular, 17 mpg, and 30,000 miles a year. With oil changes every 5,000 miles @ $50/change. That's a running cost of $5,594.12/year or $0.19/mile.

Working backwards. My electric rate is on average ~$0.115/kwh, and my lifetime wh/mi is 360. It takes 10,800 kwh to travel 30,000 miles. That's a running cost of $1,242.13/year or $0.04/mile.

It doesn't make the car free, but since you already have it. Why not drive it? If anything the running costs hedge your depreciation costs. If it's not about money and depreciation, then I sure as heck enjoy the X more than a minivan.

Cars are meant to be driven, why buy it if you don't plan to drive it. Especially a Tesla. The high cost of the car the only way I see it being worth the cost is to drive it. I look at it like every 530 kilometers or so is about $100 in savings. That's what out other car costs for in gas. Its not a high end exotic that is built in limited numbers. It will not go up in value. Although I can't afford an exotic I still think it's a shame they aren't driven, after all that's what's cars are for

Owners tend to drive Tesla's more than ICE cars because they are simply so much better to drive.

Someone said not driving your car is like saving your girlfriend for the next guy.

Enjoy what you have

i'm one week away from 1yr mark. 17680miles. thats higher than i anticipated especially when this was a 1yr experiment to see if an expensive car was a bad idea. i'm positive at this point from depreciation point of view 17680 miles and expensive is bad combo. but i'm also completely convinced if you go XP100D you don't really go back to non-tesla. given my fate is somewhat sealed, i'll probably end up putting commute miles on a model 3 and saving the X for when whole family is present.

10 months. 17k miles. And I work from home and do not do business travel.

I was considering the warranty implications, but not sure there is a better alternative? Significant costs for renting a car or keeps my a second car around. Plus, I’d rather drive this car.

We have 4 drivers, thus 4 cars in the household. However only 1 Tesla. Even then, in 45 days of ownership we have racked up 5600 miles on the Model X. My concept in the house with my wife and parents is quite simple.... If you're driving somewhere and the Tesla is going to remain parked, that does not serve us. In that case, burn calories NOT gas. Like everyone else here has said - drive it to get the most bang for your buck.

A little over a year with our X, and we've got about 20k miles on it. Not as much as some of you other gals and guys of course, but enough to have my wife and I leaning towards getting the extended warranty when the time comes. Especially with the X, with all its novel tech and quirks, there's no way I'd be happy holding onto it without everything (e.g. falcon wing doors, articulating seats) under warranty.

That's what my wife and I have done. Added a Model 3 to the family!

Excellent! And what people don't know that have just one electric, having two, more than compounds their usability. I am anxiously waiting for a manufactured BEV truck. I have threatened to buy and use a Tesla semi cab to haul my boat and travel trailer. I prefer a less expensive BEV truck with more cab room.

OMG, we are way over on mileage.
Took delivery on 9-11. Our Model S is showing 17,529 miles to date. That's approx 3,500 a month! At this rate, I'm looking at close to 50k a year. Although we've been places. Love our day trips too!

lifetime.JPG

Reactions: DiamondHands