Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious about the experience of MS owners who have put a lot of miles on their cars. Has the battery held up pretty well or has there been significant loss of range? Have you done anything special to keep the battery in shape, or do you simply charge to the max every day? I already own an S70 that I plan to keep a long, long time, so this is just me being curious.

I do not know if I qualify for high mileage. My S85 2013 runs at 153,000 km - almost 100,000 miles. We'll have a full inspection soon, before end of warranty.

The battery has loss around 5% the first year, and then... nothing! I charge at 90% most of the time (366 km range), but at least once a week at 100% (405 km). I used to use SC at least twice a week.

Otherwise, the car runs like new. I thought about selling it. Could not get the price I wanted (for a convenience trade), so I kept it - best decision!

Reactions: pjoseph
I am curious about the experience of MS owners who have put a lot of miles on their cars. Has the battery held up pretty well or has there been significant loss of range? Have you done anything special to keep the battery in shape, or do you simply charge to the max every day? I already own an S70 that I plan to keep a long, long time, so this is just me being curious.

Had an 85 for 3 years, now a 90D. Never thought we'd travel around so much, but the Tesla drive is so good, we all of a sudden had 80 some thousand on the Sig, and now near 30K on the D.

I never noticed much degradation. Was expecting maybe 5% in 3 years on the Sig, snd it was about that. I don't notice any on the D yet, although it charges maybe a couple miles lower than it did, Since it's expected, big deal.

As to charging, we are told that batteries in general don't like to be sucked empty or filled to the top. Some say it doesn't matter. But with 250 miles range at 90%, I don't seem to need to charge to full hardly ever. On heading out to Phoenix this weekend, I have two jumps of 230 miles with 80 mph speeds. So in that case, I charge to full at home or at the motel and skip a charger to save time, purely for convenience. I arrive with about 10 to 30 miles, and do short quick charges (15 - 20 min or so) for jumps to the next charger, usually 100 - 130 miles. There is one jump I take of over 230 miles, uphill 3000 feet, so potentially 260 miles. I make it quite nicely at 65 all the way.

With a 70, I would do it different. After having an 85, I knew I wanted more range, so the D option and the 90 kWh battery were very worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: DJ 240V
Wow! 200,000 miles and it was still going strong, topping it off every day, with only a 6 percent loss in range. When buying a used ICE car, mileage is the first thing to look at. If I were to buy a used Model S, it would be practically irrelevant. I am hoping to put on more than 200,000 miles in the next 12 years, just for the boasting rights.

We have 63,000 miles since June 2014. A full charge now is roughly 253 miles , down from 267 but it has been that way for a year. We usually charge to 175 at home with an occasional full charge when heading out on a long trip. Most of those 63k miles were Supercharged as we take nice long trips up north.

I've put 99k on my P85D and my wife has put 22k on her 85D!:D
Thats why we placed an order for a P100D! To start over again looking to put 150k miles on my P85D and trading it! (maybe for an 100D)
But with the P100D were looking at over 200k miles with that car when it arrives. But my Wife states that her white 85D isn't going anywhere!;)

• Love
Reactions: Model S M.D.
My early 2013 S85 with A-pack has about 75,000 miles on the clock. Like others, I saw some steep degradation early on which leveled out to pretty much flat after that. When the car was new, I got 265 Rated Miles at 100% and now get 248 Rated Miles at 100%. I guess that's about -6.4% or so.

I do have a couple of weird battery anomalies right now:

1) My a/c fans never, ever come on when Supercharging no matter what the SOC or ambient temperatures are.

2) For the past year or so, my standby (vampire) losses have skyrocketed. I have calculated that I am losing 5% SOC for every 24 hours the car sits. It was not nearly that high when the car was new.

• Informative
Reactions: Science fan
My early 2013 S85 with A-pack has about 75,000 miles on the clock. Like others, I saw some steep degradation early on which leveled out to pretty much flat after that. When the car was new, I got 265 Rated Miles at 100% and now get 248 Rated Miles at 100%. I guess that's about -6.4% or so.

I do have a couple of weird battery anomalies right now:

1) My a/c fans never, ever come on when Supercharging no matter what the SOC or ambient temperatures are.

2) For the past year or so, my standby (vampire) losses have skyrocketed. I have calculated that I am losing 5% SOC for every 24 hours the car sits. It was not nearly that high when the car was new.

Power saving? Always connected? Smart preconditioning? Dashcam?

That's a high vampire loss...

Power saving? Always connected? Smart preconditioning? Dashcam?

That's a high vampire loss...

It is. I find no appreciable difference with Energy Savings / Always Connected ON or OFF nor when I unplug my dashcam. I never use Smart Preconditioning nor the new Cabin Temp Protect feature (both always turned off).

I intend to bring it up at my next appointment. I wonder if I have a bad 12v that is constantly needing top-up via the DC-DC, although I have no warnings. Tesla has already replaced my 12v proactively at least twice now.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It is. I find no appreciable difference with Energy Savings / Always Connected ON or OFF nor when I unplug my dashcam. I never use Smart Preconditioning nor the new Cabin Temp Protect feature (both always turned off).

I intend to bring it up at my next appointment. I wonder if I have a bad 12v that is constantly needing top-up via the DC-DC, although I have no warnings. Tesla has already replaced my 12v proactively at least twice now.

12V battery might make sense... No logging platform waking the car constantly?

Hi @mknox, similar story here on vampire loss.
We don't have a camera, but I do run a logging app (VT) in the background that is constantly hitting the Tesla API.
We almost lose as much kWh on the Tesla sitting idle all week than I use driving to work and back in my Smart ED!
Overnight electricity is so cheap (and plentiful in Ontario) that I never worry about this.
Depreciation and wearable items (tires) on the car is a far larger long term expense as I have calculated.

Hi @mknox, similar story here on vampire loss.
We almost lose as much kWh on the Tesla sitting idle all week than I use driving to work and back in my Smart ED!.

I guess I'm just trying to understand what changed. During the first year or two of ownership, when away for an extended period, I would see (on my home sub-meter) about 2.5 to 3 kWh register every other day as the car would top itself up. I now see about 2.6 kWh every day. That's about double the vampire loss from before. I don't believe it's firmware changes because others are not reporting the same, and loaner cars I've had do not exhibit this behavior.

To put it in perspective, that's 950 kWh annually, and at my Off Peak rate of 0.1383 that's $131.39 "leaking" out of my car as it sits.

Just read this article, 300K...nice! This is certainly encouraging to keep the car for a long time.

So I am currently under 60K miles. Annually I drive approximately 10K miles. So... this car could last me another ummm 20+ years... WOW! For someone who has traded cars way too often, this is one good reason to keep it for the long haul.

Sure, every iteration will be incrementally advanced than the previous gen. Based on these results, from a high mileage perspective, the old category of past 100K miles milestones goes out the window.

Would love to hear thoughts from "classic" S owners re how long they wish to keep their S.

Cheers.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
It is good to know that the battery on my 2016 S75 will likely outlast the dozen years and 200,000 or so miles that I hope to own it. I will be rather old by then and will need to replace it with an updated S or a 3 or whatever Tesla has available at that time in order to have fully autonomous driving. Imagine sitting in the "driver's" seat and just telling your Tesla that you want to go somewhere and have it take you there automatically and in relative safety. No need to worry if my kids will want to take away the keys ... er .... fobs because they are worried about my ability to drive safely.