Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High-performance aftermarket audio in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my Model X is shaping up in to the beautifully customized beast I've envisioned; the next step is audio.

I drove an old antique Mercedes drop-top for many years; and I had her fitted with a … frankly unnecessary quantity of bass-in-the-trunk: a pair of JL's 13.5" W7AEs (theoretically maxing out around 3,000 W) for sub-bass, and two more JL 8"ers (W3v3s, I believe?) for mid-bass. Unfortunately, I got T-boned by a semi¹ about a week after the whole installation project had completed; and since then, I've been driving a Prius that it didn't even seem worth it to re-install my old system in.

Unfortunately, amps that can power these will easily draw hundreds and hundreds of amps. I'm no electrician, but the scuttlebutt seems to be that Tesla's standard 12v system is weirdly weedy for a car that they've engineered to suck down 400A at 300V at a Supercharger? The only Tesla installations I've seen are off-the-shelf kits with a single 10" woofer.

Have any of you had more … interesting … aftermarket audio work to your Teslas; and if so, care to share what you learned from the experience? (Of key interest is which amps you chose, and how much you found yourself able to draw from her.)

(fn1. Also, can we take out a moment of silence for old-school Mercedes engineering? That old girl took a semi-tractor that'd jumped a median to the nose, driver's-side, at highway speeds, and I walked away with nary a scratch. Holy *sugar*, though.)

Edit 1: Did this forum seriously just auto-complete “s‌hit” to “sugar,” though? Please point out to me the seven-year-old who's driving a Tesla, frequenting this forum, and who needs to be protected from ‘harsh language?’ -_-

Last edited:
Give Cliff a call at Reus Audio in Orange, CA. He travels; often local/regional owners clubs will arrange for him to install 4-6 systems per trip, which splits the travel costs. Although having a Reus audio upgrade is as good a reason as any for a California road trip.

• Informative
Reactions: KaiserSoze
Give Cliff a call at Reus Audio in Orange, CA. He travels; often local/regional owners clubs will arrange for him to install 4-6 systems per trip, which splits the travel costs. Although having a Reus audio upgrade is as good a reason as any for a California road trip.

How much do they charge for complete installation of audio ?. If it is worth it and better than tesla UHFS system , I will cancel the audio upgrade and save the money for aftermarket upgrade

How much do they charge for complete installation of audio ?. If it is worth it and better than tesla UHFS system , I will cancel the audio upgrade and save the money for aftermarket upgrade

That's what I did. There are 3 or 4 levels of Reus packages (Levels 1, 2, 2.5, and 3), so prices vary. Have Cliff send a current spec/price PDF to you; then you can decide for yourself.

I recently had a loaner with the upgraded audio. Best thing about it was XM, which enabled commercial-free versions of the audio for news podcasts and such - very nice. Plus there's Dolby fwiw, and I heard a bit more midrange as well.

Next time around, I'll probably get the premium package since I already have the Reus hardware, which they'll move from car to car for the cost of labor. A Reusified premium package would sound better than a Reusified base package.

Thanks for the information, will reach out to him. How was the premium system compared to the standard or Reus system ? Did it sound any better for that money. The only option that i am contemplating so much weather to keep it or save the money. There are a lot of mixed reviews on the thread.

Thanks for the information, will reach out to him. How was the premium system compared to the standard or Reus system ? Did it sound any better for that money. The only option that i am contemplating so much weather to keep it or save the money. There are a lot of mixed reviews on the thread.

You're welcome. Here's how I think of it:

Reusified premium > Reusified base > premium > base.

This does also depend upon what you listen to. If you appreciate the difference between FLAC/similar and the usual, you'll appreciate the Reus upgrades. If you could care less, and spend most of your time in the car listening to talk radio, then you'll like the premium factory system for the XM and commercial-free news/talk - think of your favorite news show on TV and then having that without commercials.

Best recommendation that comes to mind is to go to a local owners club gathering and ask to listen to someone's premium sound versus base versus anyone's Reus. Bring a USB stick with FLAC files that you listen to regularly, and bring some good bourbon and some of those disposable shot glass-sized red cups. After all, sharing is caring.

What I appreciate about mine is the accuracy and the ability to go from home to car without losing much. Listening to crap audio can be painful. First world problems :).

Reactions: spkonda