Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hill Control Lies! Rolled back and hit a car :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not 100% but hopefully tesla can investigate and determine this
So if you aren't 100% sure that this wasn't user error, isn't the title of your post misleading and unnecessarily sensational?

I have used the hold on my X and S several times on hills including the famous steep hills of SF and never has it erred.

Probably behooves you to test your hypothesis, report your results and ask the forum mods to revise the title of your post that reflects truth.

Or wait..did you mean you were lying and you actually never activated the hold?:confused:

I'm not sure it's legal to put a car "in park" on an active roadway.
It's absolutely not legal to start playing Pokémon go or otherwise being distracted in the middle of an active roadway in most jurisdictions, regardless of whether or not the car is in park....

I think once we are in the pretext of this thread it's about the safest configuration of the car given such circumstances to prevent unintentional rollaway. Of course, not being distracted is a better answer, but tips to use the vehicle in a safer manner are the lesser evil compared to rolling into someone's car.

I'm not sure it's legal to put a car "in park" on an active roadway.

Why not? What if I see a child on the road? It's illegal to stop, put my car in park on the active roadway, and grab the child before someone hits her/him?

Plus, Tesla will put your car in park for you if you take your butt off the seat at a low speed with your seat belt off, regardless of where you are at the time.

Why not? What if I see a child on the road? It's illegal to stop, put my car in park on the active roadway, and grab the child before someone hits her/him?

Plus, Tesla will put your car in park for you if you take your butt off the seat at a low speed with your seat belt off, regardless of where you are at the time.

First, in a situation like that, I'd think legally you should pull over safely and park and then deal with the situation. I don't think you want to create an even greater danger --- in your case, someone rear-ending you and injuring or killing you and the child (just an example).

Second, cars let you do all kinds of illegal things, just because it lets you doesn't mean it's legal.

It's just like how driving a manual transmission and coasting in neutral (clutch disengaged) is illegal in some states. People still do it.

This is just one example from Tennessee I got from googling:
(Municode Library)
Sec. 17-289. - Obstructing traffic.
No person shall park any vehicle upon a street in such a manner or under such conditions as to leave available less than ten (10) feet of the width of the roadway for free movement of vehicular traffic.

First, in a situation like that, I'd think legally you should pull over safely and park and then deal with the situation. I don't think you want to create an even greater danger --- in your case, someone rear-ending you and injuring or killing you and the child (just an example).

Second, cars let you do all kinds of illegal things, just because it lets you doesn't mean it's legal.

It's just like how driving a manual transmission and coasting in neutral (clutch disengaged) is illegal in some states. People still do it.

I think we need to step back and as @chillaban said, consider the circumstances here. Maybe I'm being too rigid, but nothing anybody says will tell me that I made the wrong move putting my Tesla in park in the center lane of this interstate and calling 911. FYI, that is a 9 year old boy on the ground ahead of me (survived thankfully).
IMG_3364.JPG IMG_2929.JPG

Reactions: Canuck
When I got my MS in early '14, I found out quickly that the car rolled backwards when stopped at a light on a hill. Having learned to drive on a manual transmission and for many years afterwards, I knew how to feed the clutch with left foot and accelerate with minimal rollback and not relying on the handbrake maneuver. My impression was that hill hold was originally intended to give the driver time to transfer the foot from brake to accelerator. Seems to have morphed into something more with AP and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Simply - on a hill, keep your foot on the brake until it's time to go. If stuck in traffic and your leg gets tired or facing an emergency situation - put the car in park.

There's driving - and then there's drivers.

I concur and repeat what has been said above..... The car should NOT ROLL BACKWARDS when in drive. period. It is an automatic transmission, not a manual...
Maybe there should be a setting for this so people can choose the behavior. None the less it's probably not a bad idea if the car had some form of audible alarm that let you know it was moving in the opposite direction of what it was set at (D or R).

As often happens, a technical thread has drifted into the rights and wrongs of how we should all drive. The OP's point is that the brake-hold was engaged. That means the car should hold position indefinitely. It didn't, thus there appears to be an issue with the technical implementation. Please don't make this about how much effort it takes to hold the brake pedal down, or how we shouldn't be fiddle with phones or music, that's nothing to do with this issue.

FWIW, I use the brake hold all the time (having come from a pre-AP S, I love how it's progressed from the hill-hold function), and have never had an issue with it.

From a technical perspective, and regardless of whether the brake-hold was accidentally released, the car has sensors, so it would see reasonable that the car would automatically apply the brakes in such a situation; where it's rolling backwards, there's an object detected, and there's no human inputs detected.

Reactions: ccutrer and Ivo-G
The hill hold, at least in my classic S, only is intended to work from the time you take your foot off the brake until the time you press the accelerator. This should only take a second or two. If you take your foot off the brake and then leave it for 3-4 seconds, it will release and you will roll backwards. That is how it functions in my car.

It does hold apparently indefinite right now on this p85d loaner. On my p85 classic it was a 2-4 second time limit. I have been in situations where hill hold icon just won't show up on a hill. Inconsistent behavior does seem to be an issue for another bug fix. Seriously doubt Tesla will assist, since it's already in the fine print to manually pay attention.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Is driving so strenuous that you have to remove your foot from a pedal?! When there are all of two of them?! You aren't riding a 20 year old stiff clutch for 30 miles in traffic. Knock it the hell off and take responsibility. If you don't want the car to move, hold... the... BRAKE...

Not defending the distractions theory, but in my p85 classic, the firmware behavior made hill hold a huge help. Even with creep enabled, the car will roll backwards between the time you release the break and press the accelerator. What's worse, due to all the idiots pressing both pedals and crashing into houses, firmware updates prevented you from pressing the accelerator too soon while the brake pedal is still being released. Leaving always a fraction of a second of rollback. In the city, people leave maybe 10-12 inches of space. I've never actually hit anyone, but I have burned rubber a little just to be on the safe side.

It's not inconsistent, at least in my AP S. MY pre-AP S was also very consistent in terms of hill-hold, but it is important to note that the "hold" function is completely different pre-and post AP.

Pre-AP: Hill Hold - holds the brake for a couple of seconds to allow your foot to toggle from the brake to the accelerator
Post AP: Brake Hold - holds the brake indefinitely with an extra 'squeeze' of the brake pedal. Released by touching the accelerator.

Reactions: Ivo-G