Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s a separate thread about how snappy the UI feels with the new AMD Ryzen chip. No doubt the Ryzen chip is more powerful than Atom, and YouTube comparisons show Ryzen loading up entertainment apps 3-4 times faster! However, the new UI itself seems more responsive overall and reacts quicker than before when bringing up different screens and views.

I didn’t notice at first until I got past the learning curve of where things moved. Once I got used to the changes, and started using the UI like normal, it seemed snappier than before. Is it just my imagination?

Yeah, I'm pissed. I paid $60+k for a car and Tesla decides to randomly do a Chinese fire drill with the interface making it less functional, more difficult to use and in some cases less safe. They don't give you warning of what they're doing beyond some cryptic statement like "updates to the user interface," nor do they give you a chance to preview or revert back to the previous interface. After you've installed it, they give very little introduction or training on the new interface, leading you to try and figure things out while you're driving. Even if you take time before you start (I did,) you don't necessarily notice what's missing until you need it in the middle of your trip.

yeah, I'm probably going to turn it off, too. It's basically useless for me and more of a distraction. Like I've said, forcing you to look away from the road and down at your screen is just bad design. At least with this 'update' you can turn it off and the functionality is no different than it was before.
Didn't you mean to say Minnesotan fire drill?

People that adapt to change are usually more successful in life. I have no issues with the new software. With that being said I’m sure the next update which will happen soon will let us have more options to have one touch controls.

People that adapt to change are usually more successful in life.
I hate to start the New Year with a gripe about people who dismiss the de-evolution of the Tesla software perceived by a large number of Tesla owners as nothing more than an 'inability to adapt to change'.
I find such comments disrespectful and dismissive of the substance that has been shared here in great detail. Please take critical comments expressed seriously, even if you don't agree.

New gripe; had to hunt for the Driving settings this A.M. as it was raining and I wanted to select Chill Mode. Whomever approved Steering & Pedals as the name for what used to be Driving settings should be ashamed.

The whole V11 update thing is crap.
Even something like touch-screen button shape is changed. What was perfect is now flawed……why go with square edges, when rounded edges are attractive and soothing.

For all you peeps saying adapt and get used to it…..
I say how would you like someone coming into your kitchen and reorgainizing the contents of your kitchen cabinets and drawers, or your closet or bedroom shelves and drawers?
Once we purchase this car it becomes our property. And I don’t want someone making decisions about my property.

How much personal freedom are you willing to give up ?

Even something like touch-screen button shape is changed. What was perfect is now flawed……why go with square edges, when rounded edges are attractive and soothing.

I say how would you like someone coming into your kitchen and reorgainizing the contents of your kitchen cabinets and drawers, or your closet or bedroom shelves and drawers?
Once we purchase this car it becomes our property. And I don’t want someone making decisions about my property.

So you don't want the free software updates?

Sounds like you should stop installing software updates if you never want your car to change from the way it was delivered. Do you update your computer and cell phone operating systems?

The previous UI was not perfect. The new UI is not perfect. After having driven over 1,000 miles on the new UI, I find it to be on par or better than the previous version. I currently have V10 on my dual motor car and V11 on my single motor car.

I don’t need recent apps I need a place to put what I want. If I used Netflix while charging I don’t need it right there when driving I need seat heaters or charge stations without multiple pushes, stupid. Half my screen is almost the car visualization and that’s useless since I have no FSD and I would prefer a bigger map as before. In addition, why on earth is the reverse cam not larger I don’t need to see all the stuff on the left backing out of the garage- lol. It would be great to have a menu option to select a larger map or reverse cam. Never use the visualization and the new turn signal cams do use that space but could cover the map however they have so much glare at times I stick to the mirrors. Selling my 3 next year and sooo glad I did not get FSD, only issue now is not having EAP lane changing without it which seems silly. Lastly, the red dot for dash cam on main screen is a must, if there is an issue you may not know it’s broken and this happened once when I was almost hit. I want to glance over and know my dash cam is working for sure.

Half my screen is almost the car visualization and that’s useless since I have no FSD and I would prefer a bigger map as before. In addition, why on earth is the reverse cam not larger I don’t need to see all the stuff on the left backing out of the garage- lol. It would be great to have a menu option to select a larger map or reverse cam.

What?

The driving visualization takes up less space now. 134 mm wide in V10 vs 126 mm wide in V11.*

The reverse camera is also larger in V11.*

V10: 187 mm wide x 105 mm high​
V11: 194 mm wide x 120 mm high​

I’m no mathematician, but it seems like that is an 18.5% increase in rear view camera size.

* since this is a Model Y thread, I’ll note that these measurements are from my 2018 Model 3s.

Last edited:
What?

The driving visualization takes up less space now. 134 mm wide in V10 vs 126 mm wide in V11.

The reverse camera is also larger in V11.

V10: 187 mm wide x 105 mm high​
V11: 194 mm wide x 120 mm high​

I’m no mathematician, but it seems like that is an 18.5% increase in rear view camera size.
The visualization side and the backup cam were significantly reduced a few versions back and are not the same size in later V10 or V11 on a model 3. It may be a bit bigger on V11 bit not where it was originally.

I disliked the smaller map ever since Christmas update 2020, so you are sure it's now bigger again? Or is the smaller visualization portion not adding map space? Did you measure before V11 and after, or how do you know for certain?
Would be a welcome step in the right direction if the map were enlarged again.

Well said by a Bay Area driver, where defrost and seat heaters aren't a matter of multiple daily use. Come to the midwest where windshields fog up and I can't waste time on more than one tap to ensure my safety.
I’m in the Bay Area and mornings are consistently in the high 30’s low 40’s every morning in the late Fall and through the winter. Every morning the seat heaters go on high, the heat to 72, and both defrosters on.

Reactions: Canyonero
My personal experience was slightly lost at first. After several outings with it, I find it superior in almost every way compared to the old. Am I alone? Yes there is a learning curve but once one uses it for a bit it just makes more sense IMHO.

Why should I have seat heaters starring in my face taking up valuable screen space if I live in Florida or in my case, 6 months of the year when they are not used? The auto seat heaters has eliminated manual control in my case yet they are easily accessed in climate control although it is 2 clicks as opposed to 1. Wipers, if you needed manual control the goto was the button on the end of the stalk for a quick wash wipe, well now it brings up the wiper commands on the screen and you can adjust to your liking. Just a couple of things that make more sense now.

If you needed manual (wiper) control the goto was the button on the end of the stalk for a quick wash wipe, well now it brings up the wiper commands on the screen and you can adjust to your liking. Just a couple of things that make more sense now.
Screen will not come up without at least one wipe activated by the button.

I want control over the action, rather than the action controlling my response.

I hate to start the New Year with a gripe about people who dismiss the de-evolution of the Tesla software perceived by a large number of Tesla owners as nothing more than an 'inability to adapt to change'.
I find such comments disrespectful and dismissive of the substance that has been shared here in great detail. Please take critical comments expressed seriously, even if you don't agree.
Big time LOL

Reactions: watsongrg
I disliked the smaller map ever since Christmas update 2020, so you are sure it's now bigger again? Or is the smaller visualization portion not adding map space? Did you measure before V11 and after, or how do you know for certain?
Would be a welcome step in the right direction if the map were enlarged again.

The smaller visualization yields more space to the map. I have one 2018 Model 3 running V10 and another 2018 Model 3 running V11.

Reactions: S3XY1138
Screen will not come up without at least one wipe activated by the button.

I want control over the action, rather than the action controlling my response.
If you need to control the wipers it is because you just got splashed or they are not keeping up 95% of the time so the push of the stalk and having it wipe once has already solved your issue. If you need more control it is presented on the screen automatically for your convenience. Whats not to like about it?