Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most tire pressure sensors turn off automatically and require the wheels to be in motion for a bit before they turn on again. Are you checking right as you get in the car? try checking when you get to your destination.

Of course, you're supposed to check the pressure when the tires are cold - another reason the card was so handy for the tire pressures.
I noticed it after car was in garage and hadn’t been driven for awhile. So it’s a feature, not a flaw!

Reactions: sleepydoc
I've sworn off all tesla updates. period. until the car is sold (at a nice profit given that it has not had any of the disaster updates).

delete your wifi creds and you wont get forced updates. you'll get nags but that's all.
I didn't accept 2021.44.25, then 2021.44.30 downloaded over LTE without me asking for it. I had been ignoring the update availability prompts, then noticed while I was driving that the arrow had turned green and shortly afterwards got the notification that it was ready to install.

Edit - I thought of two things that are easier: adding waypoints, which you couldn't do before, and the homelink location is slightly easier. (although they otherwise removed it from the screen so that part is harder)
I've seen a few comments about the availability of waypoints in connection to V11, but I already have them in 2021.36.5 (V10). I know they're mentioned in release notes, but are they really new?

Reactions: OxBrew
“We” don’t? You speak for everyone? Version 11 is awkward at best, and dangerous at worst.
Far from dangerous, that’s a bit dramatic. You can call it awkward but do you have any actual data to back up “dangerous” besides what you personally “think?” I highly doubt it because I feel perfectly safe and competent driving on V11, probably safer than v10 because my audio controls are much easier to access and so is my phone.

So many improvements it’s starting to make me realize that v10 might have actually been dangerous with everyone spending more time flipping through cards a dozen times while driving to make sure their tires are still the same as they were when they left their house for whatever reason instead of focusing on the road. Maybe we’re all safer now because it’s been moved to a spot where it won’t be looked at constantly… and just out of curiosity, how many times was tire pressure checked and any actual action needed while driving? Yeah… I know… I know…

Reactions: Vin_L and S3XY1138
I've seen a few comments about the availability of waypoints in connection to V11, but I already have them in 2021.36.5 (V10). I know they're mentioned in release notes, but are they really new?
The ability to edit them, move them around, up and down, etc is what's new. There were there in the previous version but had to be entered in a specific order without allowing you to change the order.

• Informative
Reactions: WattsappMTL
Far from dangerous, that’s a bit dramatic
Actually I don't think it is. I won't try to argue that it's dangerous on a routine basis, but there are specific circumstance that multiple people have described on TMC threads where driving required all their concentration and having extra distractions from the interface was a safety concern. The other point that is quite telling is that no one is trying to argue that the new interface is easier; they just say "it's not that hard."

I drove our Forester today for the first time in a month and a half and one thing that struck me was how easy it was to adjust the heating controls - I could do so without looking down at all. There's a knob to adjust the temperature setting that I could grab an turn without looking at it. Another knob for the vent setting and a button in the middle to tun on the defroster. Again, I could change settings without taking my eyes off the road at all. Ditto the wipers and the seat heater switches.

People argue that Tesla's touchscreen is 'the future.' It may have some advantages in terms of flexibility, but physical switches are the clear winner when it comes to ease of use. If you're going to use a touchscreen then getting the design right is critical.

Actually I don't think it is. I won't try to argue that it's dangerous on a routine basis, but there are specific circumstance that multiple people have described on TMC threads where driving required all their concentration and having extra distractions from the interface was a safety concern. The other point that is quite telling is that no one is trying to argue that the new interface is easier; they just say "it's not that hard."

I drove our Forester today for the first time in a month and a half and one thing that struck me was how easy it was to adjust the heating controls - I could do so without looking down at all. There's a knob to adjust the temperature setting that I could grab an turn without looking at it. Another knob for the vent setting and a button in the middle to tun on the defroster. Again, I could change settings without taking my eyes off the road at all. Ditto the wipers and the seat heater switches.

People argue that Tesla's touchscreen is 'the future.' It may have some advantages in terms of flexibility, but physical switches are the clear winner when it comes to ease of use. If you're going to use a touchscreen then getting the design right is critical.
But you bought a car with only a touch screen… soooooooo…??? Trading it in?

Not an argument really at all, many auto companies are going to touchscreens and already have… Audi has touchscreens now for its temp controls and all too… the iPhone analogy is one for the best out there, people had the same complaints about wanting the blackberry physical keyboard and look where it’s at now… maybe it’s just too much tech for some… and that’s ok because there are plenty of other cars out there with all the push buttons you want… regardless, just sayin it works really well for me personally, I think the simplistic design, automation, ability to use voice commands (they work for me the majority of the time so don’t care to hear “when they work” lol), and the fact that the car practically drives itself are all pretty damn awesome.

Reactions: S3XY1138

Lol more seat heater talk. Fun!

• Funny
Reactions: Tezlowski
they work for me the majority of the time so don’t care to hear “when they work” lol)
They almost never work for me (neighborhood has really spotty LTE) so I don't care to hear that they work well.

They don't, at all, for me. "lol" all you want, your hubris is shared by Tesla devs, and is why a lot of us are pretty disappointed.

But you bought a car with only a touch screen… soooooooo…??? Trading it in?

Not an argument really at all, many auto companies are going to touchscreens and already have… Audi has touchscreens now for its temp controls and all too… the iPhone analogy is one for the best out there, people had the same complaints about wanting the blackberry physical keyboard and look where it’s at now… maybe it’s just too much tech for some… and that’s ok because there are plenty of other cars out there with all the push buttons you want… regardless, just sayin it works really well for me personally, I think the simplistic design, automation, ability to use voice commands (they work for me the majority of the time so don’t care to hear “when they work” lol), and the fact that the car practically drives itself are all pretty damn awesome.
It's Amazing how flippant and borderline arrogant your responses are: "don't like it? just trade it in;" "not a problem for me so I can't see how anyone can have a problem." Evidently everyone else here is either lying or just needs to sell their car. I'm glad it works for you, but your willful lack of insight or appreciation of varying circumstances is frightening.

Yes I purchased a car with a touchscreen. There are a lot of things I like about the car, but I hate the fact that Tesla changed the car on me after I bought it. It's certainly enough that I doubt I'll consider another Tesla unless things improve but for now I'm stuck with it. The point that you seem unable to grasp is that a touchscreen requires extra attention to the interface to get it right but we got blindsided by a UI team with ADD.

You are also missing a critical factor in your phone analogy - a phone isn't a 5000 pound missile traveling 70 mph. If it takes you 10 seconds to figure out your phone it's no big deal. If you're staring at the screen in your car you've potentially killed someone. Distraction in cars can be deadly. It's amazing how ignorant some people are of that fact.

It's Amazing how flippant and borderline arrogant your responses are: "don't like it? just trade it in;" "not a problem for me so I can't see how anyone can have a problem." Evidently everyone else here is either lying or just needs to sell their car. I'm glad it works for you, but your willful lack of insight or appreciation of varying circumstances is frightening.

Yes I purchased a car with a touchscreen. There are a lot of things I like about the car, but I hate the fact that Tesla changed the car on me after I bought it. It's certainly enough that I doubt I'll consider another Tesla unless things improve but for now I'm stuck with it.

You are also missing a critical factor in your phone analogy - a phone isn't a 5000 pound missile traveling 70 mph. If it takes you 10 seconds to figure out your phone it's no big deal. If you're staring at the screen in your car you've potentially killed someone. Distraction in cars can be deadly. It's amazing how ignorant some people are of that fact.
Wow

• Funny
Reactions: Tezlowski

I'm not saying you're wrong about the physical knobs, but I was driving a Nissan Kicks for a month and a Kia Rio for 2 weeks while my MYP was in the shop, and while both have easy to use knobs and buttons for HVAC, I would not come remotely close to trading my MYP for them even if Tesla buried the HVAC controls 10 levels deep into some menus.

In the past couple of days, I drove through a MN snow day with some pretty crappy road conditions, and Minneapolis uptown traffic that I didn't enjoy driving through. I honestly didn't feel much of a difference operating the car between V11 and V10 in those situations (actually, I've never used V10 in the snow) and didn't feel like the UI put me in any sort of danger. I won't argue V11 is better or easier to use than V10. You all who hate V11 have very valid points and I can see where you're coming from. But at least for me, I felt like I knew where everything was while driving and so far have not encountered a situation where I felt unsafe due to UI operations. I certainly hope there will be some improvements made to V11 soon, and hopefully if/when that happens, more people will warm up to it.

Bottom line….the new V11 UI sux. If the average uninitiated person sat down, and looked at the new screen, they’d have NO idea how to even access the audio system options in the car.
It was obvious, when one touch access allowed expansion or collapse of the window via the music note or the window itself. All you had to so is lift finger and everything was in one place. Simple, concise, intuitive.
I switch between HD radio, slacker favorites, and Spotify. It was all right there in one place, with no need to sacrifice basic automobile features that are familiar to everyone. Like defrosters, heated seats, radio, decernable climate controls, etc.
Before we had simple controls anyone could identify with and use, then a next layer with cool in-depth controls and graphic to geek out on. That’s genius.
Now, who could even tell how to access audio or heated seats or defroster etc. That’s trash.

DON’T JUST SIT THERE AND TAKE THIS SH!T. START HAMMERING…
1 (888) 518-3752 Tesla customer no-service
Facebook
Twitter
Yelp
Google
instagram
you name it…

Last edited: