Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The large pizza boxes from dominos fit perfectly into the frunk. Did that last week to prevent car from smelling like food for a day.
If I wanted cold pizza, I'd order delivery, not waste the time to pick up hot pizza and put it in my freezing frunk to cool it off to delivery temp.

On Dec 24, we bought frozen vegetables stayed frozen solid (possibly even more solid than when they left the store) during the 2 hours they were in my frunk.

Um, wow... They have a ways to go to fix this mess they created. Someone asked about the home link activation, I just got a chance to experience this myself. The icon lights up green like before, but if you press it, the menu briefly appears before the control panel pops up, then then the menu jumps to the lower home link icon to the right lol... And, the actual pop ups for it are below the car visualization, which collide with the blind spot camera and the phone...

And as far as the phone goes, this used to be a card which could be moved out of the way. How does that work now? It's a shame they got rid of the cards, it was an excellent way to see useful information without covering up anything else.

And I thought when I saw people complaining about the fonts they were a bit smaller. Nope, some of the text is comically tiny. I can barely read some of that with reading glasses on lol... Seriously, what were they thinking on some of this?

Well that escalated quickly ^^
True but I empathize. I'd happily sell because I hear I can make a profit on the car.

My husband disagrees (so keeps biting his tongue when I keep asking for him to hit voice control for me, which apparently I'll be doing even more often now.)

I have serious concerns over safety due to the constant moving of safety related features and Tesla's ignoring of the accepted wisdom that looking through menus on a screen lead to distracted driving. The things are car require us to do are things that would have me fined if I was doing them on a cell phone or tablet. As well, I'm still concerned with range since we are a single car family and live in a cold climate. Already we've had two drives where efficiency was less than 50% and one of those was a 45*F day but rain and wind and highway driving. Now we get to see either the energy consumption card or our navigation map; why do we have to choose? It is an EV and consumption is just as important as knowing you are going the correct route to your destination.

We can't just use our 'spare' ICE in extreme cold or on long road trips to the parts of Canada that have only 1 supercharger in the whole province. There is no backup car, the Tesla is it. So these annoying changes for the worse don't make me any happier with my purchase.

If my husband gets covid and dies, the EV will likely be the first thing I sell in order to take advantage of the pandemic.

Reactions: na5m and jkeyser14
I think the comments about it being unsafe is a bit of an overreach. It’s only “unsafe” if you don’t remember where they are. No more unsafe than driving a rental car and searching for them. Once you figure it out, it’s not hard to remember. Most of the features are automatic so there isn’t a real need for grabbing them.

And the thought about turning off the HVAC to save energy is a bit of a stretch. how many of you are using your full charge and pulling in with 5% where saving a minuscule amount of energy would have made any difference? Seems like it’s complaining for complaining sake.

They will update it and add more in the future. Until then, there are other products out there if you’re unhappy with this product. You have the power to live in the past and never update your car. Maybe a Mach E is a better fit—something that will never get updated.

I think the comments about it being unsafe is a bit of an overreach. It’s only “unsafe” if you don’t remember where they are. No more unsafe than driving a rental car and searching for them. Once you figure it out, it’s not hard to remember. Most of the features are automatic so there isn’t a real need for grabbing them.

And the thought about turning off the HVAC to save energy is a bit of a stretch. how many of you are using your full charge and pulling in with 5% where saving a minuscule amount of energy would have made any difference? Seems like it’s complaining for complaining sake.

They will update it and add more in the future. Until then, there are other products out there if you’re unhappy with this product. You have the power to live in the past and never update your car. Maybe a Mach E is a better fit—something that will never get updated.
I bought my car based on the features and UI it had when I bought it. Tesla took that UI away from me and now I have no way to revert it back.

Ugh. Here's the thing about "You'll get used to it"...Hertz just bought, what, 125,000 of these? You shouldn't have to read a manual to operate a car if you've owned another one for years. I'm fine with the soft buttons, but if something was on the wheel of legacy ICE vehicles they need to have obvious "soft" buttons on the immediate screen. Window defrost, for example, needs to be immediately available. It's a safety thing.
This is a really good point. Most of us will probably get used to these changes quickly. Somebody renting one of these for the first time is going to have a wreak trying to turn on the wipers or defrosters.

You Can’t even tell the car has heated seats now….it’s stupid. If I sat down in this car for the first time I’d look at the screen and think it looks like a hodge-podge android phone that’s impossible to figure out.
Vs. an IOS that anyone young or old can pick up and be comfortable with in an instant.
Tesla, Nice job screwing up something I really liked.
This is basically an argument about muscle-memory. YOU know where stuff is, so it's obvious, and who needs help? Do you think people in the Android ecosystem feel any less confused when they move to an iPhone? (and no, I use an iPhone, but I'm well aware of its any UI defects). If the Ui had been like V11 from the start, and the new version was V10-like, I bet you would complain equally about the very Ui you are now saying is/was great.

In fact, if you look quietly through the various screens, you will see that the organization is much more logical .. things are grouped together better (e.g. tire pressure in service menu), and the elimination of the card interface (which a new owner would NEVER find by themselves) is a good step imho. Tesla are selling a LOT of cars now, that means most buyers are new ... and the new UI will benefit them imho. Is it perfect? of course not, and I've already mentioned a few places where it needs to be refined (wait for them to move user profiles back to the main screen).

Can someone show us the map zoom + and - feature? When zoom by hand the screen no longer follows the cars path.
Thanks.
Agree, I'd like to know that too. Also, I really miss the "+/-" zoom buttons that have been "simplified away". Yes, you can pinch zoom in/out, but when traveling along a bumpy road it's all too easy to twist the map orientation around by mistake. Using "+/-" zoom worked more reliably, for me at least.

Um, wow... They have a ways to go to fix this mess they created. Someone asked about the home link activation, I just got a chance to experience this myself. The icon lights up green like before, but if you press it, the menu briefly appears before the control panel pops up, then then the menu jumps to the lower home link icon to the right lol... And, the actual pop ups for it are below the car visualization, which collide with the blind spot camera and the phone...

And as far as the phone goes, this used to be a card which could be moved out of the way. How does that work now? It's a shame they got rid of the cards, it was an excellent way to see useful information without covering up anything else.

And I thought when I saw people complaining about the fonts they were a bit smaller. Nope, some of the text is comically tiny. I can barely read some of that with reading glasses on lol... Seriously, what were they thinking on some of this?
Agree, please bring back the cards. So much more useful to have trip and tire pressure information at-a-glance than needing to activate a menu that covers up the map view.

Yet another climate control UI issue - please bring back the fan speed "+/-" buttons, which have been 'simplified' to just a slider now. On an imperfectly surfaced, twisty road earlier, it was hard to tweak the speed using the slider; kept moving it too much. "+/-" is easier (and therefore safer) to control while driving. I appreciate that voice commands could be used, but not earlier today in the mountains far from cell towers.

Can we all agree that those living in non-winter places do not comment on the defrost and seat heater disappearance from the bottom bar ;) You probably never experienced your windshield instantly frosting and had to press a button in a matter of seconds on the highway because you lost all your vision....

I think the debate on if we "like it or not" is fine. But the security and usability should not be left to personal taste. It's science. I've been thru all the software updates since 2012 and this one is the less "I'm driving a car not playing with an iPad at home" version I've ever seen...
Had exactly Patp's windshield experience experience earlier - went through a cold, icy spot on a twisty road well away from cell towers (hence no voice commands), screen fogged within moments, and darned if I could work through the new multi-clicks quickly enough to find the windshield defrost button safely. As a safety priority, please bring back the simple one-click windshield defrost button ASAP!

If I wanted cold pizza, I'd order delivery, not waste the time to pick up hot pizza and put it in my freezing frunk to cool it off to delivery temp.

On Dec 24, we bought frozen vegetables stayed frozen solid (possibly even more solid than when they left the store) during the 2 hours they were in my frunk.
I’m sorry it takes you hours to get home.

Or you tried to use it somewhere without internet connectivity. The same reason why defrost and seat heaters and a host of other "just use the voice command" items won't work for those of us trying to actually drive our cars instead of amusing our immature friends with the host of Uranus jokes our cars offer us.
I didn't know you needed internet access to use voice commands. The 2013 Ford escape I had a few years ago didn't even have an option for mobile internet and it's Ford sync system had a decent selection of voice commands. If you don't pay for premium connectivity do you lose access to some/all of the voice commands?

I didn't know you needed internet access to use voice commands. The 2013 Ford escape I had a few years ago didn't even have an option for mobile internet and it's Ford sync system had a decent selection of voice commands. If you don't pay for premium connectivity do you lose access to some/all of the voice commands?
You don't need to subscribe to Premium Connectivity for the voice commands or basic navigation to function.

Google or Samsung can put out a mess of an interface on their next update, and while it will annoy the *#&@ out of me it also will not be critical. This is a vehicle, not a toy cell phone. If anything I would expect UI modifications that would improve for safety reasons, but this update is clear that it did not have safety in mind but rather like the idiotic light show just want to be hip & cool. The screen was a functional terminal that could have used some improvements but now looks more like an iphone.

If anything, I could have at least respected being given the option.