Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some really odd UI choices:
  1. When the climate is off, it‘s almost invisible in the dock.
  2. inconsistent colors when options are selected. Some things selected are highlighted blue, others grey.
  3. The progress bar when playing songs is useless as it can be barely seen and the time stamp is gone.
  4. No simple music icon in the dock, only sources.
  5. WiFi, BT, LTE signals are gone from top of screen.
Here are some more:
6. Why temp controls on both sides when not set to “split”?
7. Menu windows lost the x to close.
8. HD indicator in radio useless (on/off both grey).
9. Lane change blocked when hands at 2 and 10.

6E9FD788-9F9F-499F-9217-A934DC110DCF.jpeg

Reactions: OxBrew and EmbersDC
I've been pissed about this update for a couple days every time I get in the car. Why would you hide the efficiency tabs and buttons like heated seats that are available in every other car with one button press? Why have all my audio channels been hidden behind a drop-down menu? Speed and autopilot mode icons are now smaller and more difficult to tell what you are doing.

Worst of all, when I let off the accelerator now it slows down less quickly than before and I have to use the brakes a lot more. The little power bar seems a lot more sensitive as well. It sure seems like they toned down on the regeneration amount and force you to slow down over longer distances to get the same regen.

This update is terrible and I want my car back the way it was, it's a car not a damn cell phone. Stop changing the interface.

The execs at Tesla who don't drive Teslas should have all the buttons in their normal cars rearranged and a few of their favorite ones put inside their center console so they have to open it up first to reach them.

Last edited:
I thought people were asking for blind spot warning in the mirror, not a camera that requires us to take our eyes off the road. That's what I want - what I don't want is more things that require me to look at the screen. I'm still waiting to be able to answer the phone without using the screen ;).
How is looking at the screen vs looking in a mirror different with regard to “taking your eyes off the road” ?

There are lots of bad things to say about the new UI, but to me the thing that really shows the quality and thought they put into this is the sliding bad for AC.
If there was an actual meeting where someone suggested to use a slider bar while your drive and it had consensus, then this whole UI update is flawed.
Do you realize how absurd it is to show users a sliding bar while driving and how difficult it is to control it to do exactly what you want without having a car accident? It's a scroll bar! You have to touch it at the right place, then gently move it tiny bit right or left while not looking at the road! Even if I try real hard, it won't take me less than 3 seconds off the road!
If there was a book of "forbidden UI controls to put on touch screens while driving", slider bars was at the top of the list!
It's either no one at Tesla drives a Tesla, or they all use some sort of simulators with mouse clicks to simulate the screen.
Very disappointed. I hope that the Tesla folks are aware of these complaints.

How is looking at the screen vs looking in a mirror different with regard to “taking your eyes off the road” ?
This sounds like a troll but ... in our Subaru I signal a left turn and as I check the mirror, before glancing over my left shoulder, the big yellow indicator is flashing which means something is in my blind spot. It's the natural way to change lanes to the left. Looking down and to the right to see an image that might be occluded by the steering wheel during a left change is less safe.

What's sad is this never had to be a problem. Tesla could have always provided a blind spot chime, a bit of wheel torque or even a convex mirror insert but apparently they forgot the "keep your eyes on the road, not on the controls" rule a long time ago.

Who still drives with hands at 10-2……haven’t done that since drivers training…LOL
Not everyone is you. Not everyone's lives are lived by your standards. Most people who don't like driving or who are older still drive 10/2 My parents drive in this manner as do many of my older relatives.

Don't generalize and be egocentric.

Not everyone is you. Not everyone's lives are lived by your standards. Most people who don't like driving or who are older still drive 10/2 My parents drive in this manner as do many of my older relatives.

Don't generalize and be egocentric.
I'm 'old' and I use the 10 & 2 -- same way I drive on the motorcycle...
My daughter got her driver's license this year, and if I recall correctly, they don't advocate driving with hands at 10-2 now. Something to do with airbag deployment safety, I think. I probably used to drive with hands at 10-2 a lot, and still do sometimes, but I try to position my hands lower on the steering wheel most of the time.

This sounds like a troll but ... in our Subaru I signal a left turn and as I check the mirror, before glancing over my left shoulder, the big yellow indicator is flashing which means something is in my blind spot. It's the natural way to change lanes to the left. Looking down and to the right to see an image that might be occluded by the steering wheel during a left change is less safe.

What's sad is this never had to be a problem. Tesla could have always provided a blind spot chime, a bit of wheel torque or even a convex mirror insert but apparently they forgot the "keep your eyes on the road, not on the controls" rule a long time ago.
I'm someone who wished for the blind-spot camera on lane-change to be added by Tesla (basically copy what Hyundai does), but I've always thought of that as a "better than nothing" kind of deal. It's obviously not going to be ideal without the indicators on the side-view mirrors, but better than nothing. What I wish they would add is the chime being played when you turn on the turn signal and there's a car in the blind spot area. I don't know why they don't just implement that. As I understand, currently it only plays the chime if you almost hit the car in your blind-spot, which thankfully I have not experienced yet.

Reactions: e645824
I'm someone who wished for the blind-spot camera on lane-change to be added by Tesla (basically copy what Hyundai does), but I've always thought of that as a "better than nothing" kind of deal. It's obviously not going to be ideal without the indicators on the side-view mirrors, but better than nothing. What I wish they would add is the chime being played when you turn on the turn signal and there's a car in the blind spot area.
I agree. The blindspot camera is better than nothing but not as good as the chime you describe, and definitely not as good as an indicator in the side view mirrors.

I received the update a few days ago and have only been able to drive the car once for about 20 minutes round trip. There's some good, some bad with the update. It's a huge upgrade over the failed holiday update from last year that essentially only provided that stupid boombox I've yet to use. My primary issue is the blindspot monitoring. I was really looking forward to this feature. BLUF: The side repeater camera turning on with the turn signal activated is not a solution for blindspot monitoring. An indicator in the side mirror, like what every other manufacturer uses is the ticket. Even with the camera on, it's not always clear if you have enough room to make a lane change or how close the motorist in the next lane is to your car. The Honda LaneWatch feature discontinued in 2019 is much better than this. And one more thing...where is cross traffic alert? How does this car not have that?