Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update (2021.44.25.2)- A Big Disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like most of it.....its just a more minimalist UI. I.e., they are hiding icons/info from the main screen to clean it up for controls that are mostly automatic anyway. That video explains it perfectly. As soon as they fix the location of the turn signal cameras, I'm set.
Wake me when automatic controls actually work.
- Auto wipers are a joke; they need manual intervention all the time.
- Auto seat heaters are a poor idea and will only work for certain people a certain percentage of the time.
- Auto high-beams don't work that great.
- There is no auto defrost.
- Auto profile selection is awful; it picks up the wrong phone all the time and adjusts to the wrong seat position quite regularly.

I'm fine with what you're saying once automatic things are actually better than the manual controls. But currently they really aren't.

Went out to the garage to take the Y on some errands and did the following:

1. Pressed the wall button and opened my garage door
2. Got in the car and pressed the brake pedal
3. Put car in reverse
4. Homelink icon displayed
5. A second later the Cold Weather Tips message box opened ON TYOP OF THE HOMELINK button
6. Was annoyed at the Cold Weather Tip (I want it GONE) and swiped it DOWN to make it go away
7. Depressed the accelerator and started creeping out of my garage
8. I hear and feel a THUNK and in my rearview mirror I see my garage door reversing from my rear hatch
9. Garage door reverses and I look UP and see the lights flashing

Pissed I get out of the car expecting the worse. Got lucky, there was NO damage. I guess a new garage door with a thick rubber gasket and quick Auto-Reverse mechanism saved my bacon.

So after collecting my wits I went out to the garage and duplicated the issue. I guess when swiping away the Cold Weather Tip you can accidentally tell the Homelink to OPEN or CLOSE the garage door.

So Tesla either move the Cold Weather Tip dialog box, allow the owner to permanently disable it, or move the Homelink button.

UPDATE: Later in the day I used some spray detailer to get a closer look at the paint and bummer, there are “scuff” marks in the paint from the trailing edge of the hatch up to the glass. I guess the door came down at the point and I wasn’t able to stop the car fast enough and the cold rubber gasket dragged along the paint.

I was going to live with the scratches on my hatch but have decided to get an estimate on repairs.

Oh man that stinks @TomServo ! After the update I was so annoyed at that Cold Weather Tips thing popping up. It took 2 or 3 swipes on two different drives to make it finally disappear!

All in all for me personally, if Tesla can fix a few things I can live with the rest.
  • Bring back the Mileage and TPMS cards
  • Take a tip from desktop personal computer OSes and anything that's basically its own icon/function make it so you can add it to the bottom Favorites bar. At a bare minimum, bring back what was on the v10 UI such as the seat heaters, wiper speeds, and front + rear defrosters.
  • Along with the aforementioned, get rid of the right half 'Recent apps' and just make one big section to let us customize favorites.
  • Get rid of, or allow us to Disable, the speed compensation volume on the audio system. I still annoyingly pay attention to the constant rises and dips in the volume when driving on roads with stop lights instead of enjoying the music.

Reactions: Jimt29
Oh man that stinks @TomServo ! After the update I was so annoyed at that Cold Weather Tips thing popping up. It took 2 or 3 swipes on two different drives to make it finally disappear!

All in all for me personally, if Tesla can fix a few things I can live with the rest.
  • Bring back the Mileage and TPMS cards
  • Take a tip from desktop personal computer OSes and anything that's basically its own icon/function make it so you can add it to the bottom Favorites bar. At a bare minimum, bring back what was on the v10 UI such as the seat heaters, wiper speeds, and front + rear defrosters.
  • Along with the aforementioned, get rid of the right half 'Recent apps' and just make one big section to let us customize favorites.
  • Get rid of, or allow us to Disable, the speed compensation volume on the audio system. I still annoyingly pay attention to the constant rises and dips in the volume when driving on roads with stop lights instead of enjoying the music.
Absolutely!

I didn’t realize this quoting from @Baluchi

This article is from April 28, 2021: Tesla's head of UI departs, showing unseen Cybertruck and FSD images in the process

Pawel Pietryka was an art director at Apple before joining Tesla back in 2016.

He quickly became Tesla’s head of user interface design – a very important role at Tesla since the in-car experience revolves around large touchscreen with user interfaces.

According to his LInkedin profile, Pietryka left Tesla last month to create his own design firm called Moderne Grafik Anstalt.

Pietryka has been replaced as head of UI design at Tesla by Ben Cunningham, who came to Tesla last year from Facebook.”

So after looking at Mr Cunningham’s LinkedIn. This guy was a staff engineer prior to taking up the role as head of UI design. He was on for 6 months as head of UI and jumped ship before *sugar* hit the fan.He had absolutely had no business taking up this role. I think the only person that could probably fix this mess is to rehire Pawel Pietryka on a contractual basis.

I fear what the Cybertruck UI will look like.

I didn’t realize this quoting from @Baluchi

This article is from April 28, 2021: Tesla's head of UI departs, showing unseen Cybertruck and FSD images in the process

Pawel Pietryka was an art director at Apple before joining Tesla back in 2016.

He quickly became Tesla’s head of user interface design – a very important role at Tesla since the in-car experience revolves around large touchscreen with user interfaces.

According to his LInkedin profile, Pietryka left Tesla last month to create his own design firm called Moderne Grafik Anstalt.

Pietryka has been replaced as head of UI design at Tesla by Ben Cunningham, who came to Tesla last year from Facebook.”

So after looking at Mr Cunningham’s LinkedIn. This guy was a staff engineer prior to taking up the role as head of UI design. He was on for 6 months as head of UI and jumped ship before *sugar* hit the fan.He had absolutely had no business taking up this role. I think the only person that could probably fix this mess is to rehire Pawel Pietryka on a contractual basis.

I fear what the Cybertruck UI will look like.
So they hired an engineer from Facebook and put him in charge of UI - well that explains a lot! (And I say that as a former engineer)

For those who are delaying the implementation of the Holiday Update because of its many negative changes - keep your eyes on the software status! I refused to install 2021.44.25, and it has since been superseded by 2021.44.30 which I also did not install. However, this morning the latest software downloaded to the vehicle without any action on my part. It's now "ready to install", so my only option is to schedule the installation manually and push the time back 23 hours each day when it's almost ready to go (and twice on Sundays to make up the extra hours). I recognize that those who have installed the update say you can get used to it, but I'm just frustrated that Tesla would make these changes with no apparent benefit to the majority of drivers.

For those who are delaying the implementation of the Holiday Update because of its many negative changes - keep your eyes on the software status! I refused to install 2021.44.25, and it has since been superseded by 2021.44.30 which I also did not install. However, this morning the latest software downloaded to the vehicle without any action on my part. It's now "ready to install", so my only option is to schedule the installation manually and push the time back 23 hours each day when it's almost ready to go (and twice on Sundays to make up the extra hours). I recognize that those who have installed the update say you can get used to it, but I'm just frustrated that Tesla would make these changes with no apparent benefit to the majority of drivers.
So for all those people who say “you don’t have to update…”

Today I tried to send a phone contact (with street address) to my Tesla vehicle for Navigation. This was on an iPhone running Tesla phone app 4.4.4. This did not work as I repeatedly received the following message: "There was an error sharing contact with your vehicle. Please try again later."

In the past I have been able to share a phone contact with the Tesla vehicle. Today I was able to send an address from Apple Maps to my Tesla, so that still works. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Sixth
Today I tried to send a phone contact (with street address) to my Tesla vehicle for Navigation. This was on an iPhone running Tesla phone app 4.4.4. This did not work as I repeatedly received the following message: "There was an error sharing contact with your vehicle. Please try again later."

In the past I have been able to share a phone contact with the Tesla vehicle. Today I was able to send an address from Apple Maps to my Tesla, so that still works. :rolleyes:
It doesn't work consistently.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
EVERYBODY, FLIP YOUR F-ING WIG ON TESLA AND DEMAND THEY RESCIND THIS UGLY POS DISASTER.

Why was there a need to change anything? Tried and true, We all like what worked. Make additions and improvements.

I didn’t pay good money, just to lose what I liked about the car!

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
A new question about something I hate in the new UI - wonder if anyone has a shortcut: I frequently want to change the view of my Nav screen from close view (the way I usually use it) to viewing the full route for a bit, and then back again.

Before, the options button (from N, to current direction, to full route) was available in the upper R of the screen. Now it seems it's in the upper L, but it is (like so many other things) buried in a second tap........I have to tap the screen to display that little icon, and then tap it again to cycle through what I want. Annoying and dangerous, because I can't hit that little icon without looking over at the screen.....I have to tap the map, then look over and locate the little icon quickly before it disappears, and then tap it twice (with my trembling fingers, in a moving car) without accidentally hitting the Navigate bar. Then, after I've viewed the whole route, I have to tap the screen again to bring up the icon which I have to look at quickly before it disappears, and then tap it again to bring up the closer view. And hope I don't hit the Navigate bar again to bring up the options to enter a new destination, because then I'd have to tap a part of the screen without it to make those go away, and then try it all again.

Does anyone know of a better or faster way to alternate between the different viewing options of the Nav screen?

After having several weeks driving around with the new UI, here's my updated take (original take was there were lots of stupid decisions made with the redesign)
- not having the trip data/tire pressures easily accessible with a swipe on the main screen is still VERY annoying
- not being able to turn on the seat heaters from the main screen also still very annoying (not to mention you have to turn on the HVAC to turn on the heated seats)
- blind spot cameras are welcome, though sometimes borderline useless depending on the conditions (especially at night)
- having the driver profiles/wifi off the main screen another negative

Basically, my initial negative take on V11 has not subsided any, and if anything, I've only grown to dislike it more over the past few weeks.

Reactions: Sixth and sleepydoc
A new question about something I hate in the new UI - wonder if anyone has a shortcut: I frequently want to change the view of my Nav screen from close view (the way I usually use it) to viewing the full route for a bit, and then back again.

Before, the options button (from N, to current direction, to full route) was available in the upper R of the screen. Now it seems it's in the upper L, but it is (like so many other things) buried in a second tap........I have to tap the screen to display that little icon, and then tap it again to cycle through what I want. Annoying and dangerous, because I can't hit that little icon without looking over at the screen.....I have to tap the map, then look over and locate the little icon quickly before it disappears, and then tap it twice (with my trembling fingers, in a moving car) without accidentally hitting the Navigate bar. Then, after I've viewed the whole route, I have to tap the screen again to bring up the icon which I have to look at quickly before it disappears, and then tap it again to bring up the closer view. And hope I don't hit the Navigate bar again to bring up the options to enter a new destination, because then I'd have to tap a part of the screen without it to make those go away, and then try it all again.

Does anyone know of a better or faster way to alternate between the different viewing options of the Nav screen?
Maybe a voice command? /s

unfortunately I don't have a solution.

It's fun banter back and forth about everyone's personal preferences. Just came across this (below) and there's a great point here...

"Just as it's wrong to remove seat heaters from the launcher, it's also wrong to keep them there permanently for everyone. For example, if you live in a year-round warm climate, why would you want seat heaters taking up two spots in the launcher?

The answer is to not only let users add seat heaters back to the launcher, but to add a variety of functions. It could be opening the glove box or initiating a voice command button for passenger use."

Probably the most reasonable solution all around. I would imagine most of you would agree...

• Love
Reactions: OxBrew and Jimt29